Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I'm actually sorry to hear that the Previewer for Sigil displays this (I realize the issues making it not do so, but just thinking aloud here), because now we're sure to be inundated with questions that ask the same question--"X" works in Sigil Book Preview, but not on ADE/iBooks/Bob's Big Book Browser, etc. ;-)
I think that's always been the case, although a bit more prominent now that things like audio, video, and other HTML5 items work. You have to use the Validate function to check (and as you know, not just Validate...). I'm not sure it can be another way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I, for one, do not love the Calibre reader. In the past--and I admit I haven't looked at it this year--it would not display italics and bold, along with other minor display glitches.
Italic/bold display issues were due to Qt4. With Sigil using Qt5 this isn't an issue now (although its caused other issues).
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
I think that's always been the case, although a bit more prominent now that things like audio, video, and other HTML5 items work. You have to use the Validate function to check (and as you know, not just Validate...). I'm not sure it can be another way.
Yes, I think that's likely, but it is certain to happen more now, with "Book preview," which I think is due to be perceived differently than the old "Book View." This is merely, of course, a perception on my part, as to how other people, particularly noobs, will comprehend what "Book Preview" means. Maybe we need a disclaimer? e.g., "This displays HTMLX.X, and not necessarily what ADE, etc., will display." Something.

Quote:
Italic/bold display issues were due to Qt4. With Sigil using Qt5 this isn't an issue now (although its caused other issues).
Good. I only knew about it because I received a fairly hysterical phone call from a client that wanted to know why we'd taken all the (extensive) italics out of his book--he was viewing it with Calibre. Needless to say, I was less than ecstatic about the call. And it's hard to convince people that the evidence of their own eyes is false. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
@JSWolf --

1. you are correct about your formatting recommendations. I'll include some of them in my 'standard' css file that I use to re-format ebooks

2. spans would work, but wouldn't EVERY <p> need <span> tags around the first letter and/or first line?
Every <p> would be serious overkill and highly annoying. You either do it at the first paragraph of each chapter or you do it at the fist paragraph of the chapter and the first paragraph after a section break. But no way would you do it for every paragraph.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #19
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
What about the reader that comes with Calibre?
Personal opinion: I really don't like it. I have the 'Open With' Calibre plug in and have .epub assigned to ADE 2.0

That's when I noticed that ADE was not displaying the same as Sigil.

That's understandable since I do know that different readers and devices do display differently.

I was looking for a 'more advanced' (? correct term ?) reader that would replace ADE.

The really good news is that I don't have any fussy clients to make happy, only the family

Paul
phossler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #20
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Every <p> would be serious overkill and highly annoying. You either do it at the first paragraph of each chapter or you do it at the fist paragraph of the chapter and the first paragraph after a section break. But no way would you do it for every paragraph.
I wasn't thinking that through -- you're 100% correct.

Paul

PS: I think I'd learn just how right you are the first time I did that
phossler is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert