Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Sony T-2 ereader

Nate over at the Digital Reader foud a new Sony Reader sneaking through the FCC http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.T_RXNvUgvgo
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
The thing this doesn't hint about is whether or not the crap software from the T1 is replaced.

The alphabetic tab navigation in all previous Sony readers was a feature of primary importance for those of us who carry around large libraries.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Ah good, been waiting for this, they normally bring out a new reader in september.

I'm hoping Sony stick to their usual flow of release a new product, release a good product, change everything, rinse & repeat.
PRS-500 -> PRS-505
PRS-600 -> PRS-650
PRS-T1 -> Hopefully a T1 equivalent with all the rough edges smoothed out.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
It would seem almost certain they're going to use Android, as they did in the T1. If they upgrade the software for the T2, just maybe they'll issue an update to the T1 with the same upgrade. But, sadly, probably not -- since they won't be making money with the T1 anymore.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
It would seem almost certain they're going to use Android, as they did in the T1. If they upgrade the software for the T2, just maybe they'll issue an update to the T1 with the same upgrade. But, sadly, probably not -- since they won't be making money with the T1 anymore.
Alphabetic tabs are possible with android. Switching to android did not necessitate dropping to bare bones search functionality.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Alphabetic tabs are possible with android. Switching to android did not necessitate dropping to bare bones search functionality.
It's not quite bare bones. If you tap on the "Page X of Y" at the bottom of the display, you get a slider that you can use to jump to a particular page number. Hold your pen on the slider bar and drag it around; you can see the name of the first book on the page the silder is pointing to without jumping there until you lift the pen. I prefer it to the alphabetic tabs now that I'm used to it because its faster.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Can't wait to hear officially from Sony. Hope this one is a real improvement over the previous one.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
For anyone who isn't satisfied with the reading experience on the PRST1, you could consider installing Morkl's modified reader app. It installs easily on both non-rooted and rooted devices which are using the latest Sony firmware v1.0.04.12210:
  • custom fonts now work properly, i.e bold & italics no longer disappear when setting font to anything other than 'Original'
  • can customise all 7 fonts (Original plus the 6 select-a-font) to your personal favourites
  • fine control over font-sizes - choose your own 8 sizes
  • control number of pages between each full page refresh
  • option to make clock visible from within each book

Nevertheless, I'm also glad to see that it looks like Sony are still in the ereader game. Will I be able to resist when the time comes, I wonder?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
For anyone who isn't satisfied with the reading experience on the PRST1, you could consider installing Morkl's modified reader app. It installs easily on both non-rooted and rooted devices which are using the latest Sony firmware v1.0.04.12210:
  • custom fonts now work properly, i.e bold & italics no longer disappear when setting font to anything other than 'Original'
  • can customise all 7 fonts (Original plus the 6 select-a-font) to your personal favourites
  • fine control over font-sizes - choose your own 8 sizes
  • control number of pages between each full page refresh
  • option to make clock visible from within each book

Nevertheless, I'm also glad to see that it looks like Sony are still in the ereader game. Will I be able to resist when the time comes, I wonder?
That actually sounds like just a subset of what is available on the Kobo. I'm surprised that Sony, who have been in the game for longer, have such limited standard firmware. Plus I feel quite chuffed that I went with the Kobo.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But with a Kobo, you can't do such changes as you need to be able to specify the new font in the body style. The Kobo doesn't allow this in the CSS. It's a MAJOR bug that Kobo refuses to fix.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But with a Kobo, you can't do such changes as you need to be able to specify the new font in the body style. The Kobo doesn't allow this in the CSS. It's a MAJOR bug that Kobo refuses to fix.
OK, that one zinged over my head a little. I'm not that well up on CSS. All I know is that I can change the font face for the text, change the font size, margins, line spacing and justification, plus the page refresh frequency and the configuration of the screen for the touch to advance, go back and menu areas. So far that has served pretty well for what I've wanted to do.

What's the advantage of being able to specify the font in the body style and, if I was capable of editing the CSS in the epub, why wouldn't Kobo recognize a changed CSS? Genuine questions, at some point I'm going to have to learn to play with CSS and other epub tools.

Last edited by plib; 07-04-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
well, I suspect I just got stuck with a white T1 then. Blast, shouldn't have bought it...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
OK, that one zinged over my head a little. I'm not that well up on CSS. All I know is that I can change the font face for the text, change the font size, margins, line spacing and justification, plus the page refresh frequency and the configuration of the screen for the touch to advance, go back and menu areas. So far that has served pretty well for what I've wanted to do.

What's the advantage of being able to specify the font in the body style and, if I was capable of editing the CSS in the epub, why wouldn't Kobo recognize a changed CSS? Genuine questions, at some point I'm going to have to learn to play with CSS and other epub tools.
Most eBooks that use embedded fonts put the font-family for the main embedded font in body. So because Kobo doesn't recognize this, the eBook may not properly display.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
plib
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most eBooks that use embedded fonts put the font-family for the main embedded font in body. So because Kobo doesn't recognize this, the eBook may not properly display.
But it would still use the chosen font for display rather than the embedded font? So the display might not be exactly as the author/publisher intended but it's still displayed correctly within the limits of the font chosen on the reader? I'm going from memory but I'm fairly sure I've had font variations, italics, bold, etc. displayed correctly in some books I've read.

If this is kindergarten stuff just ignore me till I've learned CSS.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
But it would still use the chosen font for display rather than the embedded font? So the display might not be exactly as the author/publisher intended but it's still displayed correctly within the limits of the font chosen on the reader? I'm going from memory but I'm fairly sure I've had font variations, italics, bold, etc. displayed correctly in some books I've read.

If this is kindergarten stuff just ignore me till I've learned CSS.
But sometimes a font is embedded so the eBook can display certain characters and it's not for sure that your default font will have these.

Also, in some cases, like 11/22/63, the main embedded font is important to give the eBook a certain look and to be honest, it would not look as good with a different font.