Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
pkshiu
pkshiu began at the beginning.

Device: Don't have one yet
newbie question: clipping off the device?

I have been tempted by the Sony reader many times, but the content selection is not good. Kindle sounds great, because of the selection and ease of management of content. Having not used an ebook before, I have a question --

Can I clip text from a page and make that available elsewhere?

For example, with a paper magazine/newspaper, I often clip out stuff and scan it for reference. Same for books. Can I do this easily with the Kindle?

I presume I can clip on the device. But I like to have the clippings available off-reader in case I do not have the reader with me, or if I run out of storage on device (although for text that may never happen).
pkshiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:19 AM   #2
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I'm not certain of the details, but the Kindle has some kind of clipping system that includes up to whole pages of books. The clippings are kept in a file on the reader that is independent of the books (I think) so you can delete the book from the reader and keep the clippings. Also the clippings are backed up onto Amazon's servers by default so you won't lose it if you lose the device.

I don't know if you could get the clipping file off the device in a readable form.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2007, 03:06 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
From the manual:

Quote:
In addition to annotations, you can "clip" pages of your reading materials to the "My Clippings" file, which you can open from your Home screen. The "My Clippings" file contains all of the bookmarks, highlights, notes, and clippings you have made while reading on Kindle. The contents of the "My Clippings" file are available to read later or to copy to your computer if you want to further edit or send them to someone else. The "My Clippings" file is stored as a TXT file so you can easily import it into one of your computer applications.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
pkshiu
pkshiu began at the beginning.

Device: Don't have one yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
From the manual:
Interesting. This sounds like it will work.

Now then it begs the question about piracy -- does this make it (relatively) easier to copy and send a page or pages of a book to someone else?

On a positive note, if I can pull my clipping file(s) down from amazon directly elsewhere, it becomes the ultimate clipboard service.
pkshiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkshiu View Post
Now then it begs the question about piracy -- does this make it (relatively) easier to copy and send a page or pages of a book to someone else?
Sure, but it's the equivalent of sticking a book in the copier at the library and printing off copies of a few pages. Something which annoys publishers but does not sent them into convulsions the way un-DRMed digital books do.

I presume the clipping system will limit you to a small number of pages from a single book.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert