Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Cybermidas
Enthusiast
Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Should I exchange it?

I bought Kindle 3 40 days back. When new line of Kindles were announced I asked amazon if I could return my k3 ($139) and order the new one. They immediately sent a returning label. Now when my brain has somewhat cooled down after all the excitement, I am really in a doubt now.

1. If I do order the Kindle touch as i hope, it wont be early December before I get it. Do i have to return the K3 immediately?

2. I haven't got any reviews, so I don't even know if I will like that or not.

3. And lastly money...when amazon refunds me, will they also pay back the taxes and import duties which were charged?
Cybermidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Probably on your own on the import duties. I'm not sure on the taxes.

You can probably get a reimbursement or not import duties on the next one saying it was a return/exchange. Although importing stuff has always annoyed me with how inconsistent the levies are.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
I'm in the same boat as you, Cybermidas, only I bought mine 30 days ago. For me, having no access to a Kindle for the next 6-8 weeks is not worth it. Plus I really have no complaints regarding my K3 to speak of.

However, had the new lineup been out and shipping when I made my purchase, I probably would have gone with the Kindle ($79 one) rather than the Kindle Keyboard 3G. But since it meant a month or two of no Kindle at all...
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
There are things called books which could tide you over, you know - try a thrift/ charity shop & contribute to a good cause for a few weeks....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm bewildered that people can't survive for two months without an e-reader. Sure they are wonderful and convenient, but it's only two months. I've rediscovered the joys of my library now that everything I want to read is pretty much $10 or more.
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
Believe it or not, I do buy books and use the local library even while owning and using a Kindle. I'm still saying that the value of having the Kindle Keyboard now, for me, is worth more than any increased benefit from waiting a couple of months for one of the newly announced models instead.

BTW, I also subscribe to a few print magazines, and I also borrow reading material from friends, and I also read content on the web. None of these are mutually exclusive.

A couple of my own personal "value added" factors for liking having a Kindle in hand now: (1) Some of my new book purchases will end up in my eReader instead of my storage unit; (2) I travel internationally, and I hate it when I'm almost done with one book and haven't started the next, so end up carrying two books in my carry-on, plus it's easy for me to check my e-mail from some foreign airport with 3G; and (3) a couple of months from now, Barnes & Noble will probably be announcing their next round of updates or price cuts, and one has to pull the trigger at some point.

Having said all this, I'm certainly not arguing that people should not wait until the new Amazon devices are shipping. I can easily imagine a number of scenarios where it would be better to wait, for those or some other manufacturer's eReaders. The OP asked for input, and I shared my perspective--one I wouldn't characterize as either "I couldn't read anything if I didn't have a Kindle now" or "I couldn't survive until then without a Kindle."
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm bewildered that people can't survive for two months without an e-reader. Sure they are wonderful and convenient, but it's only two months. I've rediscovered the joys of my library now that everything I want to read is pretty much $10 or more.
Why not just use one of your other ebook readers while you're waiting?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
Cybermidas
Enthusiast
Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

@cHex, i also have absolutely no complaint regarding K3. Just that touch screen seems to better on my thumbs.( I read around 4hrs/day)...though its not killing me as of now, but the thumbs hurt sometimes.

@HomeInMyShoes, if I have to pay the import duty again then I am definitely not going for it. I had to pay $44 on import duty for $139 K3. Will have to get confirmation for this. Also the shipping charge will also be added i presume?
Old 09-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

^I'm guessing you live in Canada with that craziness. Ugh. That's just ugly.

I'd just flat out return it and buy a Kobo if you really want the touch screen and if you live in Canada. They've got a better selection for Science Fiction available and less problems with deals between Penguin and some others -- this is based on conversations I've had with fellow readers here. I've had two books recently that I just can't buy electronically through Amazon which blows chunks.

Any reason you are going for Kindle over other choices?
Old 09-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Wasn't the non-touch version available now? Return K3, pick up that one and reset your 30 day return window? Seems a lot of trouble though..
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #11
Cybermidas
Enthusiast

No. I actually live in India. A dollar goes a long way around here, almost equal to 50 bucks!!

Also the reason for going after Kindle is that it is only one which have its support extended here. If it was Kobo, i would have never been able to return it, even it came out broken out of the box.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Yes exchange it if you care about features and having the latest. If you don't have to have the newest stuff, send it back anyway, then find someone who has a K3 and offer them $50 for it so they can buy a shiny new touch.

Last edited by emellaich; 09-30-2011 at 11:17 AM.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Personally I like the K3 With The Keyboard and really have no interest in a touch screen only model.

The $79 model does intrest me as it would bo one I would be led concerned if something
happened to it so I would be more apt to use that one to keep at work , in my car etc
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I can't imagine living TWO months without an ereader. The pain of withdrawals... background note is that I live in a country where I can't speak nor read the local languages being an expat so no libraries, no bookstores, no nothing of actual use except a random newspaper available in my language. To live like that for two months, oh the horror of it

Anyway I bought my Kindle in July, wouldn't replace it even if I could still. It also cost me an arm and a leg (254 $) to import here (180 €) It is good as it is and could check road block online via 3G while in traffic jam somewhere on a highway in the middle of Germany.

Amazon most likely will not refund any due taxes, I don't think so.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermidas View Post
@cHex, i also have absolutely no complaint regarding K3. Just that touch screen seems to better on my thumbs.( I read around 4hrs/day)...though its not killing me as of now, but the thumbs hurt sometimes.
Personally, I plan to avoid the touch model because I think it will cause more repetitive stress to my thumbs as I will have to keep reaching over onto the screen and back.

I think the non-touch Kindle causes significantly less strain and discomfort because I don't have to move my thumb barely at all to press the page-turn button that my thumb rests on.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote