Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Small bug? Case-insensitive tags.

I have a growing collection of EPUB files from Storiesonline (http://storiesonline.net). Due to the nature of the stories hosted on the website (primarily erotic, and covering an extremely diverse range of genres, 'situations', and activities), correct tagging is essential. Those responsible for the site do a good job. The metadata they provide is good. I inititally thought though, that I had spotted an error on their part; later I discovered it was a fault with Calibre's tagging system (or its way of displaying tags, at least). I'll give an example below.

Let's say one was to download a story that involves a male who has a sexual encounter with a teen-aged female. The story would be tagged somewhere with the letters 'Mf'. The upper case 'M' denotes an adult male, and the lower case 'f' denotes a female, below the age of 18 but above the age of 12. In Calibre this is rendered as MF, giving the impression that there is a sexual encounter between an adult male and female in the story. I don't understand why Calibre forces the lower case second letter into a capital.

'Ff' is rendered as 'FF', 'mm' as 'MM'. Why? I know it's a fault of Calibre as I've checked with the webmaster of Storiesonline, and tried some EPUBs from the site in EPUBReader (the Firefox extension). The latter displays the tags when viewing the metadata as they should be.

If a tag begins with a lower case letter is it automatically capitalised?

Please do not comment on the literary, artistic or moralistic merit of the stories published on the website, and instead steer discussion toward the rationale behind case-insensitivity of tags in Calibre.

Many thanks!
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
tags (indeed most metadata in calibre) are case insensitive. This was a design decision taken a long time ago and isn't going to change. Think of all the variations on for example sci-fi Sci-Fi Sci-fi SCI-FI
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thank you for your reply Kovid. Is there no way of making this a user option? I'm not a sci-fi (or Sci-fi ) fan myself. I read mainly mystery and classics.

I suppose it's not the end of the world. And I'm glad to get to the bottom of this!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
'Ff' is rendered as 'FF', 'mm' as 'MM'.
FWIW: this is not a rendering problem. As Kovid noted, FF and fF are considered to be the same tag. The first one that calibre sees controls the letter case of the stored value.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Arrghus
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
FWIW: this is not a rendering problem. As Kovid noted, FF and fF are considered to be the same tag. The first one that calibre sees controls the letter case of the stored value.
I don't understand what you mean chaley - sorry!

Kovid: If you do not plan to offer an option to change the way Calibre handles the letter case of tags, could you tell me if there is a way of manually preventing Calibre from displaying my tags as upper case?

I've just gotten around to installing Calibre2Opds and am using it in conjunction with Dropbox and EPUBReader. It all works swimmingly but because the database is drawn from Calibre even EPUBReader is displaying my tags in upper case!

When I switch out of my OPDS directory and into my private library there are no case issues.
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can rename a tag to have any case you like by right clicking on it in the Tag Browser
Old 07-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
Arrghus
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can rename a tag to have any case you like by right clicking on it in the Tag Browser
I know, but this is not an ideal solution, as it would involve having to manually change the tags on countless books or risk running into the problem I will outline shortly below.

What's strange is that Calibre is obviously not changing the tags present in my books in any way. I can drag a an EPUB out of my library folder manually and open it in a different EPUB reader, and the tags will display as they were originally intended.

And even if I follow your suggestion, would this not occur?:

Say I decided to change in the Tag Browser: MF to Mf. That would then mean that all instances of MF in the tags of ALL the books in my collection would be changed? If so, that would never do, as some books should be tagged with an upper case MF and some a lower case.

Sorry if this seems as though I'm coming across as pedantic. I appreciate your replies.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You only have to change the case once.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I know, but this is not an ideal solution, as it would involve having to manually change the tags on countless books or risk running into the problem I will outline shortly below.

Sorry if this seems as though I'm coming across as pedantic. I appreciate your replies.
If you fix it in the Tag Browser on the Left, it fixes all usages.

Right click on the Tag name in the Tag Browser: Rename

If you fix it in the book, well...You don't really because of the Case insensitivity
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Say I decided to change in the Tag Browser: MF to Mf. That would then mean that all instances of MF in the tags of ALL the books in my collection would be changed? If so, that would never do, as some books should be tagged with an upper case MF and some a lower case.

The key point is that as tags are case-independent in Calibre there is no way to get the same spelling of a tag stored with different case in different books. For a particulate combination of letters (I.e. Tag name) you can edit it to the case you like, but that is all you can do.

The only way you could store the information you mention in Calibre is by having a unique tag name for each combination you want to store (or use multiple tags instead).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote