Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 04:10 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Linux on a Mobile PC? A waste of time, says Lenovo guy

Quote:
From time to time, we’ve dabbled in Linux offerings. Our ThinkPad T30 series had a Linux preload 5 years ago and sold very few. Since the market seems to be asking for more, we announced a ThinkPad T61 with a Linux preload a few weeks ago. Other than a few developers and hobbyists, I don’t expect us to really sell all that many. There’s no value proposition for it. Yeah, you’ll avoid the Microsoft tax, but if you’re a business your IT shop will spend far more in support costs, lost user productivity, and sleepless nights. The end user story is about the same. Who wants that?
Entertaining read, especially if you're thinking of making the switch to Linux any time soon.

Link: http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=97
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:20 AM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Entertaining read, especially if you're thinking of making the switch to Linux any time soon.
Yes, very entertaining, but somewhat misleading.

I made the switch to Linux years ago and haven't regretted it one bit.

The funny part about this article is that last year I needed to get a new laptop. I chose Lenovo because they support Linux on their laptops. Unfortunately, because Microsoft is still an abusive monopoly, I was unable to purchase a laptop here in the U.S. without paying the Microsoft Tax.

But the laptop took to Linux without problem. There were only 2 issues with the laptop. One (the wide screen video) was due to a known bug with the BIOS of the computer. The other - the SD card reader - was powered by a no-name chip that had known compatibility issues.

Both were already researched and fixes/workarounds were available on the web.

I have far fewer problems with my Linux laptop than my co-workers do with their Vista laptops (in this case, Linux offered better hardware support).
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert