Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
siebert
Developer
siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 (Keyboard) 3G / iPad 9 WiFi / Google Pixel 6a (Android)
How to disable conversion date in title and source link in page?

Hi,

I'm using the python recipe for brand eins and there are two thinks I'd like to change in the generated epubs:

- The ebook title is set from the recipe, but calibre seems to append automatically the conversion date in brackets. Is it possible to prevent that from the recipe?

- At the end of each source page there is a note that it was converted via calibre and a link to the source url. Is it possible to disable this note and link from the recipe?

Ciao,
Steffen
siebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
no and no
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 03:06 AM   #3
siebert
Developer
siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hi,

I've seen from other recipes that adding the line
Code:
timefmt = ''
fixes my first issue (probably as a side effect, but it seems to work).

If the second one isn't possible now, could you implement a switch to disable it or a function to override in a future version of calibre?

Thanks,
Steffen
Old 11-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have no interest in doing that, but patches are welcome.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
siebert
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
no and no
You lied, nothing is impossible in python

Proof is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1227446

I admit that the solution is ugly as I have to replicate lots of code, so a switch within calibre would be very nice.

Ciao,
Steffen
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Consti
Consti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
@kovidgoyal: Please include the new version of the Recipe in the next version of Calibre.

The newest version can be found here:
https://github.com/consti/BrandEins-...andeins.recipe

It includes changes made by Steffen;

Thanks!
Consti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

well sure you can do pretty much anything in principle. But I am not going to put those changes into the builtin recipe. You are of course free to continue using the custom recipe for yourself
Old 11-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
siebert
Developer

Quote:
well sure you can do pretty much anything in principle. But I am not going to put those changes into the builtin recipe.
Am I correct if I assume that you only don't like the feature described below to be included in the builtin recipe or is there anything else? I could submit a recipe without it but all the other improvements.

Quote:
NEW: Remove "This article was downloaded by calibre from..." section from bottom of each page.
Ciao,
Steffen
Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I've already merged the other improvements.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by siebert View Post
Am I correct if I assume that you only don't like the feature described below to be included in the builtin recipe or is there anything else? I could submit a recipe without it but all the other improvements.
Ciao,
Steffen
My philosophy is to try to build recipes that are consistent with other built-ins.
In this list:
Quote:
  1. NEW: The issue to download can be selected via the username field.
  2. NEW: Add cover image.
  3. NEW: Prevent that conversion date is appended to title.
  4. NEW: Remove "This article was downloaded by calibre from..." section from bottom of each page.
  5. FIXED: "brand eins" is written in lowercase.
Numbers 2 and 5 are consistent. Numbers 1, 3 and 4 I would make as optional via an edit by the user in a custom recipe, and explain them in the description. Of course, Kovid is the final arbiter.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
siebert
Developer

Quote:
Thats great.

Ciao,
Steffen
Old 11-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
siebert
Developer

Quote:
Hi,

I've noticed that you also removed the
Code:
timefmt = ''
line. Could you tell me the reason why you don't like that change?

This feature used by serveral other official recipes and as the brand eins recipe fetches complete issues from the web archive, the content should always be the same regardless of the conversion date, so I see no point in including it in the title.

Ciao,
Steffen
Old 11-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm confused are you saying the downloaded content will be the same if I run the recipe today and a onth from now, the resulting ebook will be the same?

dates in titles are useful or people that use ereadres that don't allow sorting by dates/dont display dates in their UI
Old 11-22-2010, 03:56 AM   #14
siebert
Developer

Quote:
I'm confused are you saying the downloaded content will be the same if I run the recipe today and a onth from now, the resulting ebook will be the same?
Essentially, yes.

By default, the recipe fetches the last fully available issue (as for the latest issue, the one which is currently sold at the news stands, only a few selected articles are available online, so the recipe defaults to the issue before the current one to get a complete issue) from the archive, so if I run the recipe today and in a month, I'll probably get two different issues downloaded. But if I download the same issue (for example by modifing the issue selection in the recipe or now via the username setting) again in a month, the content will be the same as it is now.

brand eins is a monthly published print magazine, but they are kind enough to have all their back issues available for free on their online web archive. So I'd like to have the output of this calibre recipe as close as possible to an electronic version of their printed magazine, resembling an EPUB issue of brand eins they would probably publish themselves.

Quote:
dates in titles are useful or people that use ereadres that don't allow sorting by dates/dont display dates in their UI
As the brand eins EPUB title already includes the month and year of the magazine it contains (for example the title is "brand eins 10/2010" for the october issue of 2010), all information I need to identify and sort this ebook is already available in the title and the conversion date doesn't add any useful information to it, so I'd like to get rid of it.

I hope you can now understand my motivation of that change.

Ciao,
Steffen
Old 11-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

In that case, the better approach is that rather than setting self.title, set self.timefmt.

See for example the Atlantic recipe.