Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Enxss
Enxss began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox N96
Boox M92 Firmware Update Issue

I recently purchased a Boox M92 which came loaded with Firmware version 1.6.20111117. When attempting to update the firmware to version 1.7.20120607, as provided by Booxster in his "Firmware updates, dictionaries, fonts and third-party software for M92" thread, the device is responding "No Update Found."

I believe that I am following the update procedure correctly. I downloaded the firmware update file, update-20120607.zip, directly to the root directory of my SD card. I them turned off the device and restarted it while depressing the OK/Joystick button. The reader indicates that it is searching for a firmware update but never finds it.

In reviewing the user manual for the reader it states on page 38 under Software Updates that the file name should be "onyx_update.upd". As Booxster's file is a zip, I attempted to unzip it in the hopes of finding an .upd file. Unfortunately, update-20120607.zip is password protected.

I also tried searching the Onyx International web site at http://www.onyx-international.com/en for the .upd file mentioned in the user guide. But there is no such update available. Is there an alternative source for the firmware update other than Booxster's thread?

The update procedure appears easy enough. Can anyone help me to understand what I am missing?

Last edited by Enxss; 07-13-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Enxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Have you tried reformatting the SD card?

I have tried the 0611 update file, and ran into the same problem. I first used a 4GB card that was formatted in NTFS, and it just would not find it. Then, I reformatted it into FAT32 and copied the file over. It found the update and applied it.
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Enxss

No Luck

The card was already formatted in FAT32. I did try re-formatting it anyway and again copying the update file to it. Same problem though, No Update Found.

Any other suggestions?
Old 07-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #4
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enxss View Post
The card was already formatted in FAT32. I did try re-formatting it anyway and again copying the update file to it. Same problem though, No Update Found.

Any other suggestions?
From what reseller did you buy your device? Polish distribution was purposefully designed to be incompatible with "generic" updates, it may be the same with some other.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Enxss

That answers the question. I incorrectly assumed that it was an "official" update from Onyx. Thank you for your help.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
It is official update from Onyx.

The "problem" is that some resellers add some extra SW and probably because of licence reasons, they do not allow instalation of common firmware. It makes sort of sense, because additional SW would be lost. So, they must make their own version of firmware.

The update also does not work, if you modify the name of firmware so that it does not end, as it ends (by numbers). You may change the name by prefix, but not by suffix. (I encoutered that problem, as I added version suffix to the name...)
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Onyx Boox M92 and i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enxss View Post

Any other suggestions?
Let me offer a suggestion since I ran into the same issue with my M92. Be sure the card is formatted FAT32 and the firmware update file is the only file on the card. When I used an empty card like this it found the update and worked. The file should not be renamed and be sure it has a .zip extension. The documentation is incorrect.

From what I understand there are several versions of the M92 firmware update. There's the generic firmware update which has most features and then there's one from Onyx Europe called "Black Pearl" which has an improved reading voice (Inova) in it. But if you were able to try and use this firmware it would fail during installation. From what I understand the M92s that can take the special firmware have special internal formatting that allows the firmware to install. It's something that can only be changed back at the distributor with special tools.

As for the version that Booxtor distributes, I just don't know if it will work with my M92. I asked the Onyx Europe folks and they cautioned against using any other firmware releases that aren't from Onyx International, such as the generic, or from your distributor otherwise you risk invalidating your warranty.
jbsavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsavitz View Post
As for the version that Booxtor distributes, I just don't know if it will work with my M92. I asked the Onyx Europe folks and they cautioned against using any other firmware releases that aren't from Onyx International, such as the generic, or from your distributor otherwise you risk invalidating your warranty.
Installing a firmware does not void European Warranty. Does not matter what say the company selling the device. Firmware Update and internal boot loader must know if firmware is valid or not.

Other way is install a 3rd party one, but AFAIK both Booxtor and OnyxBoox are authorized resellers.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
imanzano
imanzano began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Got it with and old 512mb sd card

I had the same "No Update Found" message. I tried with two different micro sd cards with two different sd adaptors. They had fat32.

I was able to view documents from the micro sd's but not to update the firmware

Finally I had updated the m92 with an old 512 SD (no HC) card.
imanzano is offline   Reply With Quote