Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
RadioMan52
RadioMan52 began at the beginning.

Device: The Book
Augen "The Book" is a Orphan

After talking with a few "in the know" mass marketing individuals it looks like Augen TB will no longer be considered for mass distribution and unfortunately will go into orphan status.
It looks like we will no longer see any additional fixes or additions to this device, a shame as it has better bones then many of its competitors or even the upcoming so called replacements.
The word from the experts is that the $100 price range Android touch screen devices have arrived to be lunched for the Xmas season.
It looks like the China built Android 7 inch or larger tablets will be the supported devices since even in "factory trim" they have working and easily configured WiFi and come equipped with many free e-book and PDF readers, kindle like . The resistive touch screens (not as good as the expensive capacitive ones) but easily workable are better then the TB’s joystick.
Picked one up (took 12 days for delivery HK-FL) this puppy (FlyTouch) can be flashed with at least three different Android flavors as well as Windows CE, went through two and even and the CE, with the support groups rehashes the tablet flies.
Many variants are availabel.

I still love my two TB's got them at a rock bottom price and I will keep the running for as long as I can.
RadioMan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Ah, well. This is not very surprising. Now it will be interesting to see how long "The Book" continues to dominate the AugenUS homepage, and I think I'll continue to bug Mark-the-Tech-Guy about updates to make e-pub hyperlinks work. It's my duty as an assertive consumer.

All things considered (especially, price), it's not a bad e-reader -- I've read several books on it, and had some fun playing around with the wifi and media player features. It's teaching me what to want and expect (and avoid) in my next multipurpose device.

I'm also glad that we did get the two updates, because it gave us a complete backup to and installation method for the system software. If some enterprising third party developer comes up with alternate firmware, TB owners will be able to try it with little risk.

Oddly enough, "The Book" looks strikingly similar to the Sharper Image's new "Literati" e-reader with an MSRP of $159. I guess hope springs eternal in the e-reader market.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi all,

it would be a bit of a shame if TB died so ignominiously - essentially neglected by an apathetic and seemingly inept company.

The hardware itself seems okay - mine are working fine, and seem to be made quite well, though the right-hand page forward button is definitely losing its markings.

I am happy with mine - it was a toe in the water exercise - and so is my wife. If we get a solid year out of each then we will have no regrets. Unlike Kilohertz53, I have not fiddled with the other features so much, but probably will at some stage.

The software is the weak link, and to release a device with so many bugs in its firmware tends to underline the sentiments in my opening sentence.

I had a quick look at the Literati thinking that if it was the same hardware then a complete swap of firmware might be on the cards, but alas it seems not, for the chassis looks to be quite different .

Still TB is being sold by a number of stores, including one that claims it is marked down from over $200 (!), so it seems to be sold in significant numbers. This should generate consumer pressure to amend the flaws in its software. Here's hoping.

Cheers,

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I feel really bad that this ereader is going into extinction. I really like mine and am looking for another new or slightly used one to put back for future use.
Mine is in perfect working order and is actually my reader of choice. I love the backlit screen and abiity to quickly turn to landscape. I hope someone will pick them up to market. I don't need alot of internet stuff on my e-reader, just read or listen and this Augen fits all of my ereader needs. It reminds me of Kindle 3 with easier operation and more user friendly features. Hope they will survive.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
gintzj
Connoisseur
gintzj began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi model
Well guys I love mine and have no trouble reading many book from the public libraries

either epub or pdf.

But I want to know you you guys have found out to do this.

how do I transfer a WMA audio book from the library system via overdrive when the TB is not recognize my overdrive.

got any ideas

Thank you

I know you always come with a solution for me

Jim
gintzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Jim, I dont' think there is anyway to do that. The audio books from the library use a DRM software comparable to the ebook DRM. Only devices that have purchased the "decoding" software are able to be played. Many inepensive MP3 players are equipped to play these books, but I doubt at this point Augen will put more into this machine.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi all,

I had a quick look at the Literati thinking that if it was the same hardware then a complete swap of firmware might be on the cards, but alas it seems not, for the chassis looks to be quite different .

Michael P
In investigating the Literati, it appears that it is based on the same Ingenic system chip as "The Book", but who can say about the peripheral chips? It's doubtful, but not impossible, that the Literati firmware could work on the TB.

From preliminary reviews that I've read, the Literati doesn't include any audio or video playback functions, and the wifi is tied to the Kobo bookstore. I don't know if it has web browsing capabilities beyond directly buying e-books. In all, it seems like a less capable reader for a higher price.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:03 AM   #8
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi all,

from what I have read or heard, the Literati doesn't have an earphone jack, so no TTs, or music, and so forth.

I started watching a review I found by two guys, but it was so monotonous I couldn't go through with the full 10 minutes or so.

I keep thinking that badge-engineered versions should be popping up here and there with different brand names on it - it seems strange in this day and age that a device with a limited market would be unique. The cost of tooling up should ensure other versions are around.

Have to wait and see.

Cheers,

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
Dorlys
Dorlys began at the beginning.

Device: Augen The Book
Hello folks,
I just joined the forum to try and get help with my gift of Augen's The book and am sorry to see that the company is abandoning it. However, I would appreciate your advice. I am not very tech savvy. I use a computer with basic knowledge. So, can you folks please tell me what format is best supported on this reader? I wanted to use it for wifi as well as reading--not music and videos and would like to download a book to it; but see from your posts that some formats don't work well. So for an inexperienced user, what format would be best, and is it easier to download to my pc and then transfer since my wifi connection is so slow? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Dorlys
Dorlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
kilohertz53
Zealot

Hi, Dorlys.

Welcome to Mobileread!

"The Book" supports a wide variety of formats. I prefer epub myself, but other formats also work well. The big issue was the incompatibility of ebooks from B&N and the public library with the original version of the Adobe DRM that was included on the Augen e-reader. Updated firmware fixed the problem (which only affected DRM'ed ebooks).

The wifi is slow, and uses portrait mode only (480 pixels wide), so your best bet is to stick with websites optimized for mobile devices, which load faster and don't require a lot of scrolling.

Unless you're buying books from Augen's partner, eBooks Media, you can't directly download ebooks to the reader via wi-fi. Download them to your pc, then transfer DRM'ed books (epub or pdf) through the Adobe Digital Editions application, and other non-DRM'ed books by the drag 'n' drop method, or through Calibre.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
Dorlys
Dorlys began at the beginning.

Device: Augen The Book
Thanks very much. I had read the previous threads about some pages not loading, etc.--I think it was pdf and since I am technically challenged, I thought it best to stick to the easiest format to work with. I will follow your recommendation and do the epub downloaded to my pc.

The reader was gifted to me, so I want to get some use from it--a very nice gift idea. Too bad it won't be too long lived.

I had to wait in my car in the dark the other night and began reading one of the free books preloaded. The light was wonderful and it was very easy to read. I think it will be great for reading in bed and not disturbing my husband.

I'll continue to follow the posts on this site and when the Augen finally dies, I'll be looking for member's recommendations on a replacement.

Thanks again for the welcome and the advice.
Dorlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
RadioMan52

Augen "The Book" is a Orphan CONFIRMED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi all,

it would be a bit of a shame if TB died so ignominiously - essentially neglected by an apathetic and seemingly inept company.

The hardware itself seems okay - mine are working fine, and seem to be made quite well, though the right-hand page forward button is definitely losing its markings.

I am happy with mine - it was a toe in the water exercise - and so is my wife. If we get a solid year out of each then we will have no regrets. Unlike Kilohertz53, I have not fiddled with the other features so much, but probably will at some stage.

The software is the weak link, and to release a device with so many bugs in its firmware tends to underline the sentiments in my opening sentence.

Still TB is being sold by a number of stores, including one that claims it is marked down from over $200 (!), so it seems to be sold in significant numbers. This should generate consumer pressure to amend the flaws in its software. Here's hoping.

Cheers,

Michael P
Sorry to say I now have confirmation that Augen is selling off as any TB's that they have to clearance houses so be prepared to se the TB on sites like Geeks and others.

To follow up Augen is now marketing Seven ANDROID based devices that include touch screens and the same free ebook library that we have in our TB’s as well as a Android decent ebook reader, had one in my hands for about one hour this courtesy of a “buyer” that was asking my opinion.
Looks like a decent china made M003 running android 2.1.
Will keep you informed on any new developments but at this point I will be surprised if Augen will even admit that they made the TB….

Radioman52 Over and out....
Old 10-31-2010, 11:43 PM   #13
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
If I can still find one, is The Book a decent choice for looking at cbr/cbz and pdf children's books (like Dr. Seuss and the like)? That is literally all I would use it for since my wife and I have separate ebook readers for ourselves.
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #14
RadioMan52

Literati in "hand"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
In investigating the Literati, it appears that it is based on the same Ingenic system chip as "The Book", but who can say about the peripheral chips? It's doubtful, but not impossible, that the Literati firmware could work on the TB.

From preliminary reviews that I've read, the Literati doesn't include any audio or video playback functions, and the wifi is tied to the Kobo bookstore. I don't know if it has web browsing capabilities beyond directly buying e-books. In all, it seems like a less capable reader for a higher price.
Well I finaly found a "Literati' owner/victim, sad to say in comparison the "TB" has a much better FirmWare inplementation then the "Literati" almost identical hardware and the case is more ergonomic then the TB but the The Book is a better performer.
I feel sorry for the gent who spent $160 for it.....

Interesting that Augen on 11/03/2010 posted that No New Updates for its whole line, the last updates where in August/September.
Still love my TB's,found a interesting quirk if you open a book then go back and go to start playing a mp3 file than go back and start reading the book again you have audio in the background.
Makes me happy.
Regards.
Radioman52
Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #15
Bic
Connoisseur
Bic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it is

Device: Kindle or Sony
Dec issue of Consumer Reports called the Augen "one of the lowest scoring e-readers" they tested. Dead last on a list of 10 e-readers.
Bic is offline   Reply With Quote