Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #121
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can change the sort by right clicking. It also inherits whatever the last sort of the normal book list was.

As for clicking on the tag browser, it should have exactly the same effect as for the normal book list.

I can certainly make the cover spacing configurable.

I will have it display authors in addition to title when the cover is not available.
Very nice

What about image size, I would like to make them smaller - I'd also like to have option to display Author and Title under the cover and/or display when hover on cover

I select a cover and it's highlighted in blue - I right click background and I get the usual context menu but the cover loses its highlight (i.e. I've lost context). Ideally current selected Book should never lose its highlight.

Perhaps background context menu could be things like - 'adjust image size', 'adjust image spacing', 'show title and author', 'change background colour' etc.

Because I've found it awkward to use I have not been in the habit of dragging books from the Spreadsheet View to a Tag Item in the Tag Browser.

But its much easier to do that in the new Covergrid View

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-05-2013 at 10:57 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #122
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
OK, a possible BUG
In Grid view (mine is showing 7books x 3rows)
Using the Page down key, The focus moves 1 row down
Using the down arrow key, The focus moves down 1 row
Shouldn't the PgDn move down 1 full screen full (3 rows in my case)?

And because I am contrary
Why have both the Cover Browser AND Grid View?

I do realize that the cover browser is detachable AND you can still see the list view (either way), but other than that, they both seem to function the same.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #123
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

I select a cover and it's highlighted in blue - I right click background and I get the usual context menu but the cover loses its highlight (i.e. I've lost context). Ideally current selected Book should never lose its highlight.

BR
BR
If you right-click on the Book Cover, the context menu appears AND the book stays highlighted. As you noted, clicking off of a cover loses context (the error says 'no books selected'), while the cover browser (the bar) assumes the center book is the focus regardless where right-clicked (actually, it always flips 1 book in the direction of the click point FIRST)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #124
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
Using the newdb I can't merge books. The details shows:

Code:
calibre, version 0.9.42
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ConstraintError</b>:ConstraintError: columns book, tag are not unique

calibre 0.9.42 [64bit]  isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.4
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\edit_metadata.py", line 442, in merge_books
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\edit_metadata.py", line 536, in merge_metadata
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 458, in set_metadata
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 55, in ans
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1126, in set_metadata
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1094, in protected_set_field
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1074, in set_field
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 895, in set_field
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\write.py", line 493, in set_books
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\write.py", line 406, in many_many
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 290, in executemany
  File "c:\cygwin\home\kovid\sw\build\apsw-3.7.14.1-r1\src\cursor.c", line 231, in resetcursor
ConstraintError: ConstraintError: columns book, tag are not unique
Tried with both the release version and the last build of the betas.
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #125
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
OK, a possible BUG
In Grid view (mine is showing 7books x 3rows)
Using the Page down key, The focus moves 1 row down
Using the down arrow key, The focus moves down 1 row
Shouldn't the PgDn move down 1 full screen full (3 rows in my case)?
On 1920x1200 full screen I'm seeing 7 x 3+a bit - pgdn/up moves 2 rows from current - so there must some 'rithmetic in there somewhere - I think it ensures that you don't lose sight of where you were last

Can I add another suggestion - this thought started as "I want Sticky Selections", ie the ability to select multiple books based on arbitrary rules (e.g. books with poor covers).

I can do this with the Temp Marker PI, but I can't see what's in and what's not marked.

It would nice if the Temp Marker functionality was a core Calibre feature and items currently marked were highlighted in some way. Maybe the CoverGrid View could draw a narrow orange border around 'marked' items, and the Spreadsheet View could highlight the Row Number in orange.

BR
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #126
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazykiwi View Post
Using the newdb I can't merge books. The details shows:

Tried with both the release version and the last build of the betas.

BR
Old 08-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #127
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@BR: Preferences->Look & Feel->Cover Grid

and if you want to select books, and make it visually obvious that they are selected use a search or a temporary virtual library. You can switch searching to highlight mode if you dont want the view restricted (though this only wrks in the book list, not the cover grid).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #128
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And because I am contrary
Why have both the Cover Browser AND Grid View?
Because different people have different preferences. Simply use the one you prefer, the existence of the other does not hurt in any way.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #129
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Krazykiwi: I am going to need a metadata.db file from the calibre library in which that error happens, and also which books you tried to merge.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #130
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
BR
If you right-click on the Book Cover, the context menu appears AND the book stays highlighted. As you noted, clicking off of a cover loses context (the error says 'no books selected'), while the cover browser (the bar) assumes the center book is the focus regardless where right-clicked (actually, it always flips 1 book in the direction of the click point FIRST)
Yes I realise if you right click the cover (or hit the menu key as I would normally do) then book wont lose its highlight - I was actually looking to see if the background had its own context menu - the background context menu operates on the book last selected.

I never use the cover browser - it's far too 'bling' for me.

Br
Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #131
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Krazykiwi: Never mind, I think I know what the problem is. It occurs if you try to merge two books that both have the same tag. Fix will be in the next build.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #132
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@Krazykiwi: Never mind, I think I know what the problem is. It occurs if you try to merge two books that both have the same tag. Fix will be in the next build.
Ah, so that's what my Calibre was mumbling about now and then when I tried to merge two books. It didn't crash, but it said something like 'tag not unique' and refused to merge them. Zapping all tags of the books in question fixed it.

One other thing: for some reason my Number of Pages custom column (filled with the Count Pages plugin) no longer works right: it always matches as true ('#pages:false' never matches anything). Matching on a specific number of pages does work.

Looks like 'undefined' matches as 'true' with the new backend.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #133
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Kovid, I got the same issue as theducks in Post 120. In my case it's the plugin KindleUnpack. See attachement.
System: Windows Vista64

I like the new Grid view
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aufzeichnen.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	108951  
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #134
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@mbovenka: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...7326997fa21eeb
Old 08-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #135
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The deprecated plugins issue will be fixed in the next build (it is unrelated to the new backend, caused by some other changes I was making to the plugin infrastructure).