Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
The Chaos Chronicles - New SF Omnibus Edition with Afterwords by Jeffrey A. Carver

Hi folks -- A quick announcement to let you know of a new "added value" to the new editions of the first three volumes of my series The Chaos Chronicles, recently released in the Kindle store and at Smashwords at $2.99 each.

Regular readers here may know that I released Neptune Crossing, Strange Attractors, and The Infinite Sea as free downloads a while back; they were published in print by Tor Books, and I was preparing for the release of Volume 4, Sunborn. (You can still get them in the library here.) Since putting them up for sale in new editions, I wanted to provide something extra for the readers who buy them in the stores. With that in mind, I've written a new Afterword for each book, offering some reflections on the writing of the series, and some of the challenges and rewards of each individual novel. Those Afterwords are exclusive to the new editions, released under the imprint name of Starstream Publications. I hope they offer an interesting bit of behind-the-scenes detail about the evolution of my still-ongoing series.

You can browse my Kindle books here.

From now through October 31, you can get these three for 25% off at Smashwords, in your choice of formats. Just use these coupon codes:

Enjoy!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-24-2010 at 02:50 PM.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
pvdv
Enthusiast
pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, BeBook Neo
Hi there,

I saw that your award-winning book Eternity's End is also available for download on your site. I gather that it is the 6th book in te Star Rigger series, but I was wondering: is it possible to read it as a stand-alone novel?

Btw. I think it's great, the way you "embrace" the eBook phenomenon. I plan to visit Smashwords soon...
pvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdv View Post
Hi there,

I saw that your award-winning book Eternity's End is also available for download on your site. I gather that it is the 6th book in te Star Rigger series, but I was wondering: is it possible to read it as a stand-alone novel?

Btw. I think it's great, the way you "embrace" the eBook phenomenon. I plan to visit Smashwords soon...
Eternity's End works fine as a stand-alone novel--and in fact, it's one I often recommend to someone who wants to try my work without getting into a whole series. The Star Rigger books are part of a shared universe, but are all stand-alone, with the exception of Dragon Rigger, which is best read following Dragons in the Stars.

The Chaos Chronicles, in contrast, are a continuing story. You should ideally read them in sequence--though, as with all my series stories, I took care to make the later books understandable even if you come in in the middle.

(Eternity's End, by the way, was a Nebula finalist but not a winner. The award that year went to Catherine Asaro's Quantum Rose.)

One of the reasons I've embraced ebooks as a writer is that I enjoy them as a reader!
Old 12-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

The Chaos Chronicles Books 1-3, new omnibus SF by Jeffrey A. Carver

Hi folks. I'd like to let everyone know that my hard SF series The Chaos Chronicles (the first three books) is now available in an omnibus edition that includes Neptune Crossing, Strange Attractors, and The Infinite Sea--together for the first time in one volume. The three novels were published in print by Tor Books, but I've released the omnibus under my own imprint of Starstream Publications.

Here's the book description and a couple of quotes:

An omnibus of three novels: Neptune Crossing, Strange Attractors, and The Infinite Sea. When John Bandicut encounters alien sentience on Triton, his life changes forever—from sacrificing everything to save Earth, to confronting a malicious entity at the edge of the galaxy, to fathoming the abyss of an alien ocean. A major hard-SF adventure from the Nebula-nominated author of Eternity's End.

One of the best SF novels of the year — Science Fiction Chronicle

"Jeff Carver is a hard sf writer who gets it right—his science and his people are equally convincing..." —Gregory Benford

"Masterfully captures the joy of exploration." — Publishers Weekly

It's up at Kindle | Nook | Smashwords and making its way gradually into other stores. DRM-free, of course.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone!
Old 12-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Jeffrey - I'm a bit confused. You've released an omnibus edition of vols 1-3, but there's a 4th? Wouldn't it have made sense to include all 4 in an omnibus?

I hope that's not too stupid a question.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Jeffrey - I'm a bit confused. You've released an omnibus edition of vols 1-3, but there's a 4th? Wouldn't it have made sense to include all 4 in an omnibus?

I hope that's not too stupid a question.

Regards
Caleb
Caleb -- Not a stupid question at all. I own the ebook rights to the first three. The fourth book, Sunborn, is a Tor ebook. So there was no way for me to include it. Also, the series will be six novels in the end (Book 5 is currently half in my head and half on the page), so maybe someday there'll be an omnibus of Books 4-6. I hope!
Old 12-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
kich
kich began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (wi-fi)
I'm glad to see that Eternity's End is available on the Kindle store. My old paperback has been read so many times it's starting to fall apart!

J. Carver, you're an excellent example of an author whom is embracing new mediums to deliver your works to your fans. I wish more authors would take note of this.

Please keep up the good work. I'm eagerly awaiting the conclusion of the Chaos Chronicles.
kich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kich View Post
I'm glad to see that Eternity's End is available on the Kindle store. My old paperback has been read so many times it's starting to fall apart!

J. Carver, you're an excellent example of an author whom is embracing new mediums to deliver your works to your fans. I wish more authors would take note of this.

Please keep up the good work. I'm eagerly awaiting the conclusion of the Chaos Chronicles.
Thanks!
Old 12-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
ChupaLibro
Julio Angel Ortiz
ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Well, thanks to this thread, I decided to pick up Eternity's End for my Nook.
ChupaLibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
RW2112
Connoisseur
RW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad 2
And I just picked up the omnibus collection as well. Thanks for the heads up!
RW2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Thanks, guys! Hope you enjoy the books!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What happened to the nice hand crafted ePub editions? There is no way the Smashwords meat grinder versions can be better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
RW2112
Connoisseur
RW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad 2
Dunno where you're looking, but the copy I downloaded from B&N is very well crafted indeed. Can't wait to get into it tomorrow...
RW2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #14
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Jon, the meatgrinder versions are nice, clean ebooks--they came out very well. Of course, they're not as nice as the hand-crafted epubs, which attempted to duplicate the look of the paper editions. Such is life. Those versions are still in the library here, at least for now. If they don't seem to seriously affect sales, I'll leave them there. (But after two years of giving them away, I need to see them generating income.)

Oh, the Kindle version and the B&N epubs of EE and the omnibus are not from the SW conversion, but converted by me via Calibre. The same will be true of the individual Chaos books once I get around to directly uploading them through Pubit instead of through Smashwords.