Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Any full feed iPad rss reader

Is there any rss feed reader for iPad which fetches full feeds for offline viewing?
Most of readers only fetch headlines and to read articles one needs to go online within app. Currently I am using byline 3.0 with full force. Byline fetches full web page for offline reading but it's very slow. Any suggestion please.

Thanks
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
Fugubot
Connoisseur
Fugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watch

Device: Sony Reader
Its probably not the RSS reader. The site sets the RSS feed parameters. Check out www.wizardrss.com. This a good workaround. You edit the feed slightly and the site feeds the full page to your RSS reader. Works for most sites and most readers.
Fugubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 04:36 AM   #3
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
You'd have to use an app. If you're using google reader, you can try mobilerss https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=31

Otherwise there are bunch off rss-apps. Search in the AppStore for rss
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugubot View Post
Its probably not the RSS reader. The site sets the RSS feed parameters. Check out www.wizardrss.com. This a good workaround. You edit the feed slightly and the site feeds the full page to your RSS reader. Works for most sites and most readers.
Byline caches not just the feed, but the web page each feed item links to. I am also looking for an iPad replacement for it.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
dhiru
Connoisseur

i tried mobile rss hd. it doesn't fetch full feeds for offline viewing. it fetches full feed only if rss feed contains full feed e.g. Engadget etc.

wizardrss is good option but unfortunately it doesn't fetch more than 4 or 5 articles per feed.

thanks for suggestions.
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
drplokta
drplokta began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Your terminology is wrong, which is why you're getting some duff answers. There's no such thing as an RSS reader that captures the full feed -- if the site provides a full feed then they all do, but if it doesn't then none of them do, because that full feed simply doesn't exist to be captured. As you point out, Byline will load the referenced web page as well as the feed, which isn't the same thing as a full feed, but as you also point out that makes it quite slow. Any other reader that does the same is also going to be slow.
drplokta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drplokta View Post
Any other reader that does the same is also going to be slow.
But some do it better than others.

There are many different criteria people look at when selecting a reader: number of feeds, sync with Google, formatting, etc. But to me the ability to get at the full article quickly, if that's what I want to do after reading the partial feed, is one of the more important ones. I like Pulse in this regard since it anticipates what I want to do fairly well.

The standard display in Pulse is a box with a photo from the story (if it's part of the feed) or the first line or two of text. It displays about 16 of those. When you select one of the boxes you then get the "full" partial feed. But also, as soon as you do that, it starts loading the website in the background just in case you want to select that tab to read the full article.

Pulse is not the only RSS reader that does this but it's the one I use and it does it well..

Any reader that tries to grab the full story for each feed right off the bat, would be a very slow app.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
have you looked at Reeder? it was recently released for the ipad and i know it does some sort of pre-caching. i'm happy with newsrack so i have no real desire to look at it. i do know it is getting some rave reviews.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
have you looked at Reeder? it was recently released for the ipad and i know it does some sort of pre-caching. i'm happy with newsrack so i have no real desire to look at it. i do know it is getting some rave reviews.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdY9ZrKH8vE

Here is an online review of it, its supposed to pull articles down for offline viewing. My iPad comes in this week, I'm planning on getting this one for my RSS feeds since it syncs to Google Reader
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:29 AM   #10
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

we expect a full review!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #11
dhiru
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Yes i tried Reeder and found it very good. unlike other rss readers the reeder has option to view instapaper/google mobilsed page in its setting, this makes it very fast to view full content. however Reeder will also not cache full page for offline viewing, if original rss feed does not provide so.
in my opinion after Byline, Reeder is best available option. if future updates make it cache full page like byline it would make it perfect.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:28 AM   #12
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdY9ZrKH8vE

Here is an online review of it, its supposed to pull articles down for offline viewing. My iPad comes in this week, I'm planning on getting this one for my RSS feeds since it syncs to Google Reader
The most important thing in an rss-reader for me would be a feature to have the article+images being downloaded in the background. For speedy reading and offline reading.

Apparantly reeder does not have that, mobilerss do.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...8&postcount=40
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
scottjl
Reader of Books

newsrack downloads images in the background, and you can control how many it does as well..
Old 08-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #14
sanukikg
sanukikg began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
This app optimizes and caches the full page for offline reading

Please try this app

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sitev...73486631?mt=8#
http://siteviewer.jp/en/

It works for most popular (major) websites.
sanukikg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #15
dhiru
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanukikg;
Please try this app

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sitev...73486631?mt=8#
http://siteviewer.jp/en/

It works for most popular (major) websites.
thanks for suggestion. Seems to be very good app. Its not free app and will cost $2.99 for full version.i would have bought it but there is no ipad version.