Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
codefreaq
codefreaq began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1
wikipedia on kindle

I just bought a kindle 1 and I have some questions about the web browser and specifically wikipedia.

1. Is the internet browsing going to be free forever or it this only for a limited time?

2. Since free access to wikipedia is displayed as a feature on kindles official page, does it mean wikipedia will be accessible even if internet browsing is no longer available or free?
codefreaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by codefreaq View Post
I just bought a kindle 1 and I have some questions about the web browser and specifically wikipedia.

1. Is the internet browsing going to be free forever or it this only for a limited time?

2. Since free access to wikipedia is displayed as a feature on kindles official page, does it mean wikipedia will be accessible even if internet browsing is no longer available or free?
Welcome to MobileRead, codefreaq.

I don't think we have the answers to your questions.

Only amazon knows for sure. So far, they've not shown signs of discontinuing what internet access they have, but don't plan on using your Kindle like you would your computer. Its pretty clunky.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why post this to 2 different forums? I answered you on the Amazon forum.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
codefreaq

"Why post this to 2 different forums? I answered you on the Amazon forum. "

lol why not. I might have to post to some more in fact or get in touch with amazon customer service since nobody seems to have a definite answer so far.

I can understand them disabling the web browsing or charging for it in the future but it would be unethical and possibly illegal for them to disable wikipedia access after displaying it as a feature on the product page.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
"Why post this to 2 different forums? I answered you on the Amazon forum. "

lol why not. I might have to post to some more in fact or get in touch with amazon customer service since nobody seems to have a definite answer so far.

I can understand them disabling the web browsing or charging for it in the future but it would be unethical and possibly illegal for them to disable wikipedia access after displaying it as a feature on the product page.
They also displayed the "now-now" feature on the original product page. After discontinuing that, they simply removed it.

If you read the product description, you'll see that web access is listed under "experimental features." Here is the link, but below is the quote.
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons...pf_rd_i=507846

"Experimental Features

The experimental category represents features we are still working on to enhance the Kindle experience even further. Try them out and let us know what you think.

Read-to-Me

With the new text-to-speech feature, Kindle can read every newspaper, magazine, blog and book out loud to you, unless the book is disabled by the rights holder. You can switch back and forth between reading and listening, and your spot is automatically saved. Pages automatically turn while the content is being read, so you can listen hands-free. You can choose from both male and female voices which can be sped up or slowed down to suit your preference. In the middle of a great book or article but have to jump in the car? Simply turn on Text-to-Speech and listen on the go.

Basic Web Browser

Kindle's Basic Web browser works well to read simple, text-centric Web sites such as Google and Wikipedia. Need to find a movie listing or look up a sports score? Now it's easier than ever to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle.

PDF Document Conversion

You can email your PDF documents wirelessly to your Kindle, just like other personal documents. Due to PDF's fixed layout format, some complex PDF files may not format correctly on your Kindle.

Listen to Music & Podcasts

Transfer MP3 files to Kindle to play as background music while you read. You can quickly and easily transfer MP3 files via USB by connecting Kindle to your computer."
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #6
codefreaq

I dont think access to wikipedia is listed as an experimental thing.(basic web is)

in the product overview they dont even mention the web browsing part but wikipedia in listed:
"Includes free wireless access to the planet's most exhaustive and up-to-date encyclopedia—Wikipedia.org."

I am hoping wikipedia is not discontinued because it is really convinient for me to have it as a reference when reading tech books. If it does I'll probably have to figure out a way to put the whole thing on an sd card.

I have written to kindle customer support about it, when they reply I'll post it here.

Last edited by codefreaq; 05-11-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:34 AM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I would agree that given that Wikipedia is advertised as a free feature, even if they started charging for general wireless Internet, they would not charge for Wikipedia.

If they did charge for wireless Internet access it would almost certainly be based on usage, and probably not kick in until you'd used a certain amount.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
My goodness, desertgrandma, what happened to your avatar? The new one looks as though you are going to smoke a cigar. Has the heat here in AZ changed your image that much?

I had better go look in the mirror and see what has happened to my visage up here in the foothills.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
I dont think access to wikipedia is listed as an experimental thing.(basic web is)

(snip)
I have written to kindle customer support about it, when they reply I'll post it here.
Thanks--I look forward to hearing what Amazon customer service has to say about it.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #10
codefreaq

ok so their email reply said that I should give them a call on the customer service number which was unnecessary and inefficient in my opinion, but I did that (thankfully the wait time on the customer service line was less then a minute), spoke with Victoria who did not know how long the basic web service will remain free but that amazon will be sending out an alert whenever it is changed into a paid service, the wikipedia however will remain free.

Last edited by codefreaq; 05-12-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:42 AM   #11
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
My guess is that Amazon doesn't know the answer to this either.

As long as the average user uses the browser sparingly it won't cost them much. In fact, it might be free to them if their Sprint contract includes some base amount of usage before they start seeing additional charges.

However, if every Kindle user starts using their Kindle as a primary browsing device (although it's really too clunky for that), then there costs will start going up and they will need to rein in the service.

Bottom line is that I expect their decision will change as the usage model changes.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wikipedia