Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
What contemporary authors / novels will be future classics?

For this discussion, I'll define "classic" as assigned reading in English class for highschoolers or college freshmen. What contemporary authors will be the future Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, or Harper Lee?

I know writers like Updike and Joyce Carol Oates have already had some of their short stories anthologized. Their novels, not so much. Roth is going to be a tough sell since every novel of his I've read features some lamentation of the excellent head the protagonist isn't getting. Maybe Mailer's semi non fiction? I could see an adventurous teacher assigning McCarthy's The Road (hey, it was an Oprah book). More likely, Toni Morrison, because of her subject matters. Guys like Pynchon and DFWallace will be relegated to the post grads. Maybe more "popular" authors like Larry McMurtry or Anne Tyler, or even Stephen King.

Of course assigned reading will always be a combination of literary merit, social "relevance", and what won't get the parents up in arms and demand for heads to roll.

Post your 2c.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Maybe Franzen, though I'm not personally a fan.

Roth and Toni Morrison already get assigned in undergrad English courses. edit: So does Pynchon. The Crying of Lot 49 is standard English 101/102 fare, from what I've seen.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 06-11-2011 at 09:50 PM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
My picks, based on books I currently have:

The Chrysalids by John Wyndham
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Wicked by Gregory Maguire (possibly to compare with Wizard of Oz)
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (Atwood is already widely assigned in university-level Canlit classes and this imho is one of her best)
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #4
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Atwood is already a classic (ANY of her works) and I'll beat with a Nook anyone who says otherwise.

Current books? What about The Hunger Games?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #5
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Current books? What about The Hunger Games?
I can see that happening though I hope it doesn't replace the Giver. Still a favorite.

Not a fan but I can see Stephen King being considered a classic someday.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 12:40 AM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
From the point of view of learning, and while I don't necessarily see them as equivalents of these examples, I can see the Harry Potter series being considered a classic (and used for teaching) in the same way as Lord of the Rings and the Narnia Chronicles. I particularly see the possibility of it being used as introduction to "literature" matters like themes, character, plot, for folks just starting on that path in early high school.

And to see the crossroad where Stephen King and Harry Potter meet, for those who haven't yet:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2043...050689,00.html
(WARNING: Contains nuts...and probably spoilers)

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:49 AM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I think Stephen King is really under-rated as a short story author. Some of his novels are very formula, but his short stories are excellent. I can see him really unexpectedly being known for that 100 years from now.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I can only really talk about ones I've read, but these are some books that I would think worth of studying in a high school setting:

The City and The City - China Mieville
Tigana - Guy Gavriel Kay
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
The Moth Diaries - Rachel Klein (a YA book that really impressed me)
The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks (maybe for Year 12)

These are not necessarily my favourite books of all time, these are books that I can immediately think of that would sit well in a high-school English and/or English Literature curriculum.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
The Handmaid's Tale prophesised itself being taught in schools, I don't think that's unlikely. Escpecially with it NOT being something even vaguely Scifi-related, honest.

I'd also second The Wasp Factory, but his The Bridge would probably be more likely because Eng-Lit teachers like to choose boring twaddle just to put children off reading for pleasure.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
+4 with Stephen King...

Great thread BTW...need to cogitate
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Decades ago, I had to read Portnoy's Complaint for a course in the comic novel.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks (maybe for Year 12)
One of my favourite books, bar none .

I also agree about Stephen King - I think he will been seen as a great writer in years to come. It's a shame to subject matter has led to him originally been pooh-poohed (not a reference to our revered moderator ).

There are a couple of Bristih writers who may be thought of as classics one day - Martin Amis, Malcolm Bradbury and even Ian McEwan (though I wouldn't agree with the last).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
JK Rowling ... Seriously she will be She DID kickstart millions of children into reading !
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Margaret Atwood, absolutely, and yes, "The Handmaid's Tale" though not just that.

How about Ian McEwen?

And my personal favourite - Marianne Fredriksson. Don't know how her books have turned out in English translation, but in Swedish her 'biblical' books and one or two of her more contemporary books are astounding.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
JK Rowling ... Seriously she will be She DID kickstart millions of children into reading !
A laudable achievement, Kevin, but if we accept that as a criterion, maybe we'd have to include Dan Brown for kickstarting millions of adults into reading.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote