Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Audible.com

I almost posted in General Discussions, but I'm not sure if "audio" is an ebook format or not so I thought it would be safer to post in the Lounge.

I have been considering joining audible.com off and on for several years now, but have always gotten hung up by the "how do I listen to them?" part. Last week I bought a new smartphone and I'm thinking again about signing up. A nice sale posted in the Deals forum doesn't hurt.

My questions:

1. Are there a lot of unabridged books? It seems time everytime I browse, I see more abridged than unabridged in their catalog and I wonder if I'll even find enough books to use my credits. I've read and listened to both abridged and unabridged and have decided that I am not going to settle for shortened versions.

2. If I buy and download the books with my phone, will I still have the option of saving them to my computer or CD or DVD? Can I get them as MP3? It's probably not important, but for some reason I feel like I have to take those steps; I'm always afraid of online providers either going out of business or otherwise preventing me from retreiving content. I have one Sony book that didn't make the transition from LRF to ePub (I don't know why) and if I hadn't downloaded a copy, I would now be without the first book of a five part series. It seems to me MobileRead is a good place to ask this sort of question.

Thanks!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:32 AM   #2
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I've been a member of Audible.com for a few years, 45 min commutes are much easier when I can listen to a good book instead of the traffic report.

I only buy unabridged audio books, I don't like missing any of the details that the author/editor/publisher thought were worth printing. You may want to check out the selection and make sure that the genre you are interested in has enough books for you. Since I read/listen to sci fi, fantasy, and romance there are lots of books for me to listen to.

You can download the audiobook with your phone and again on your desktop. I have an iPod so I can listen on my iPod, iPhone and desktop with iTunes, I use to load them onto my Windows Mobile PDA as well. There are other options, the Audible software page has a wizard to walk you through what software options you will need for your useage.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 04:00 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'd been a member of audible for years, and only stopped when I moved and my commute was done by car instead of train.

All books I have are unabridged, and my wishlist was filled with even more of those, so, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

About the DRM, you can activate multiple devices, right now my laptop, my pc and my MP3 player are activated. You won't get MP3 files, they have their own format, which is much better compressed than MP3. But it would mean that if Audible (or rather Amazon) would pull the plug, you're kind of screwed. But personally, I don't worry about that too much. If you're really worried, you can burn them on CD as AudioCD.

And you can download them all on your PC and from there put them on your devices (using the audible program). That's how I put my current selection on my MP3 player.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Cool -- thanks for the replies!

I have been listening to podcasts on my commute with my new phone and it's so much better than my last phone -- instant response, hardly any time to load and open apps, can stream on my commute *both ways* and still have battery left to get me through the day without recharging. It seems it to be the right time for me to sign up!

I didn't realize they were part of Amazon when I first posted -- I had seen the Audible ads and thought it was some sort of a partner thing. It does reassure me a bit since one of Amazon's "things" is that they will store your content and I won't have to worry about it disappearing unexpectedly.

Time to start another wishlist!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote