Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #76
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
After playing with both, I chose the Samsung Galaxy tab 2 for $250 over the Nexus 7 for $199. It displays images as good or better, and feels more soundly-built, physically. And I loved popping in a 32gb microsd card and not worrying about space.

We're scheduled for the jellybean update from Samsung next week.

If I were a gamer, I'd choose the Nexus 7, though. The tab handles things like angry birds and temple run with no lag, but I expect the extra power in the nexus would be good for the heavier stuff.
You got a good point.

I want to test that myself though, especially ergonomics.

The one that runs Kindle for Android better and feels nicer in my hands, that's the one I'll keep.

But I think you're right.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #77
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
After playing with both, I chose the Samsung Galaxy tab 2 for $250 over the Nexus 7 for $199. It displays images as good or better, and feels more soundly-built, physically. And I loved popping in a 32gb microsd card and not worrying about space.

We're scheduled for the jellybean update from Samsung next week.

If I were a gamer, I'd choose the Nexus 7, though. The tab handles things like angry birds and temple run with no lag, but I expect the extra power in the nexus would be good for the heavier stuff.
If it makes you feel better telling yourself that little lie that your Samsung galaxy tab2 TFT 1024 x 600 pixels screen is BETTER than a 1280 x 800 pixels IPS then i would advice keeping it to yourself and not try to peddle it as the gospel as im certain people are not so in the dark to believe you.

Even the china tablets like the ONDA Vi40 and A1CS FUSION5 and plenty of the others are using IPS screens to provide better movie watching, gaming & photo viewing experience than TFT screens.

Asus NEXUS 7 - 1280 x 800 pixels IPS UK PRICE £200 16GB OR £160 for 8GB

IPAD 2 - 9.7 Inch - 1024 x 768 IPS UK PRICE £306.89 16GB (LOWER RES but larger screen )

KINDLE FIRE - 1024x600, 169ppi IPS display. ???? NO UK RELEASE,only US imports

ONDA Vi40 9.7 Inch- CHEAP China tablet - 1024x600 Display IPS UK PRICE £148 FROM Amazon.com 16GB

Samsung GALAXY TAB 2 - 1024 x 600 pixels TFT £200 for 8gb or £250 for 16GB

There is a good reason why all of the major tablet manufacturers have switched to IPS screens - brighter display - sharper image - higher DPI- more vibrant colours and probably some other things that i have not thought about.

TFT screens for Tablets are yesterdays TECHNOLOGY just like Responsive Capacitive Screens- IPS screen's clearly have a advantage over TFT ones any day.

Ohh and good look with the jelly bean upgrade next week for the TAB2 as samsung are just plain bad at supporting there devices with upgrades.It really wont surprise me if you will be waiting six+ months from now for it,just like they did with all the other UPGRADES they promised for there mobile phones and tablets.

Hell, im even willing to bet you $20 that they don't have it next week for your TAB2 , do you have a PAYPAL account by any chance ?I only bet on dead certainty's so i would be more happy to take your money and spend it on a new case of my nexus.

By the way in gaming terms the Nexus 7 completely slaughters the TAB2 in the gaming arena-

I did some benchmark testing too and can confirm statements of the superiority of the Nex 7 check out my screen shots at the bottom.
The nexus 7 averages between 54-55 FPS and a TAB2 running the same Benchmark scores a very lowly 20+FPS on average .

I myself have been testing games on my nexus 7 since the 13th july and filming them to upload to you tube.

I would love to see a video showing a TAB2 running any of these 3D games smoothly with it's dual core CPU and NO NAME GPU which HAS LESS THAN 50% the frames per second of a NEXUS 7.

GRAND THEFT AUTO 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUOAo...re=context-chv

RIP TIDE GP
http://youtu.be/8IwmH3bWIgc

THE AMAZING SPIDER MAN HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmhKQmw8Etg&feature=plcp

MAX PAYNE MOBILE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hSAn...re=context-chv

SONIC 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7i6m...re=context-chv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-08-07-19-55-47.png
Views:	203
Size:	503.2 KB
ID:	90311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-08-07-19-56-34.png
Views:	213
Size:	933.1 KB
ID:	90312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-08-07-19-53-30.png
Views:	189
Size:	714.3 KB
ID:	90313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-08-07-20-36-03.png
Views:	174
Size:	914.9 KB
ID:	90314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-08-07-20-38-07.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	90316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-08-07-20-44-32.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	90317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-08-07-20-44-44.png
Views:	180
Size:	1,014.8 KB
ID:	90318  

Last edited by darksaber35; 08-08-2012 at 11:39 AM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #78
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
If it makes you feel better telling yourself that little lie [...]
Whoa. I'm not really sure how to respond to such a reaction. Not going to get into a personal argument over it, for sure.
I meant what I said and said what I saw when comparing both side by side. YMMV, but i know I'm not alone. ICS or not, there is more to a good display than that.

As I already said, if you want to run serious gaming, get the Nexus. If not, consider all your other personal needs and preferences and get whichever one fits them best.

For my needs and tastes, as expressed, the galaxy tab 2 was a better choice.

I have zero interest or need to wave a banner pushing for or against either tablet, and I don't think it does shoppers a favor to hear only from those who do. So I posted. Yikes.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #79
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
It makes me feel better knowing I have a device that can play my content when the cloud dissipates.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #80
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It makes me feel better knowing I have a device that can play my content when the cloud dissipates.
At that point we will have the Nexus 100 and Kindle Fire ver 340. :-)

Then your device and mine will be dead .

I think is a matter of preference, because ipads have no SD card and are a success.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #81
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
At that point we will have the Nexus 100 and Kindle Fire ver 340. :-)

Then your device and mine will be dead .

I think is a matter of preference, because ipads have no SD card and are a success.
But the Cloud already dissipates over the Oregon coast and this Seattle monkey is left holding a tablet with no videos to watch.

One of many reasons why I don't own an iPad.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #82
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
But the Cloud already dissipates over the Oregon coast and this Seattle monkey is left holding a tablet with no videos to watch.

Hahahahaha...

Well, I will give you my opinion tomorrow night; that is when UPS will deliver the Nexus 7. I am actualky typing this via Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk.

The nicer one (based on my personal preferences) will stay at home.

;-)
Old 08-08-2012, 02:25 AM   #83
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I kind of envy Darksaber35. I too found religion when I got my HP OmniBook, or PalmPilot Tungsten, or 22" CTR or HP LaserJet. I miss that kind of enthusiasm.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:37 AM   #84
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Yes but you do own an iPod last I checked they didn't have expandable storage
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #85
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes but you do own an iPod last I checked they didn't have expandable storage
And I use it at home in a speaker dock to play audiobooks and to stream music and radio stations. Don't need much storage for that.

I wouldn't dream of carrying it around with me because of all the things it's missing:
  • mSD card slot
  • FM radio
  • GPS
  • compass
  • flash support
  • replaceable battery
  • 3MP+ AF rear cam
  • stereo speakers that can be heard
Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #86
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Whoa. I'm not really sure how to respond to such a reaction. Not going to get into a personal argument over it, for sure.
I meant what I said and said what I saw when comparing both side by side. YMMV, but i know I'm not alone. ICS or not, there is more to a good display than that.

As I already said, if you want to run serious gaming, get the Nexus. If not, consider all your other personal needs and preferences and get whichever one fits them best.

For my needs and tastes, as expressed, the galaxy tab 2 was a better choice.

I have zero interest or need to wave a banner pushing for or against either tablet, and I don't think it does shoppers a favor to hear only from those who do. So I posted. Yikes.
Well im sorry to say this but your opinion is in the minority,online reviews have applauded the nexus 7 and the general public including me have bought nexus 7 and emptied the shelves of retailers in both the UNITED KINGDOM and the USA.

DID the Samsung TAB 2 do the same thing on release ????? The answer to that is no

Congratulations in winning the gold medal for the most most outrageous statement i have heard so far saying that a 1024x600 TFT screen is better than a 1280x800 IPS screen

If this is true please post evidence supporting your statement and then we can all believe you,im glad your happy with your TAB2 BUT i was not and it got sent back to Amazon.com where it came from.

I had no intention of making a personnel attack on you ,im simply calling your bluff on your amusing statement.
If you read the heading of this thread it says- Asus NEXUS 7 ACCIDENTAL EARLY release in the UK-My 1st hand report and your statement is

I personally have gone out of my way to help people with information with my first hand experience (since 13th july ) with the nexus 7 including providing App's to help nexus owners with screen rotation,video playback ,WiFi streaming servers and other subjects as well as answering all questions.

If you wish to contribute to this then please do so,if not then Maybe you can resurrect one of the dead Samsung galaxy tab2 threads that are lingering around the forum,maybe your post mite be believed and appreciated more there although very few people will probably read it.

Maybe you should ask yourself why some Samsung TAB2 owners are drawn to NEXUS 7 threads like moths to a flame ,I already know the answer to that myself but i will hold back from saying it.

I have no wish to drag the TAB2 through the mud but if you make fictitious statements like stating it has a superior TFT screen then i will return in kind with facts & not FICTION

If you will excuse me im drawing up a large list of the best FREE Android games for the NEXUS.And in the future i will work up a list for the best free ebooks and movies

Last edited by darksaber35; 08-08-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #87
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
You could really do with cooling down a bit, you are coming across as extremely overexcited.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #88
darksaber35
Banned

The FREE games for the NEXUS 7

Right now i tried most of these games and they all look and play great (i'm not into all the hundreds of rpgs games.If any one has any more to add then please do so.

In a the future i will try to draw up a list of good FREE movies and ebooks.

http://youtu.be/WcecaYEXTXw

http://youtu.be/3WkAbwl-7GE

1. Dead trigger
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...FkdHJpZ2dlciJd

2. Blood and Glory
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2xhZGlhdG9yIl0.

3.Dark meadow
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...FkdHJpZ2dlciJd

4. Heroes Call
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2NhbGwuVEhEIl0.

5 . Landrule Strategy of War
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5sYW5kcnVsZSJd

6. SAS Zombie Assault 3
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...3zombieassault

7.Strikefleet Omega
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...GVldG9tZWdhIl0.

8. Super Stickman Golf
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd

9. Dragon Hunter
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...JhZ29uLmljZSJd

10. Temple Run
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...GVtcGxlcnVuIl0.

11. PewPew
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...f.pewpew&hl=en

12. Dark legends
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...EsInN0cy5kbCJd

13. Radiant Defense
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...UuZGVmZW5zZSJd

14,Highway Rider
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.highwayrider

15. Wind-up Knight
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5pZ2h0bWFyZSJd

16. Mayhem
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pvcm1heWhlbSJd

17. Speedx 3D
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...testorm.speedx

18. Edge
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bGxlci5BZHMiXQ..

19. Mutant Roadkill
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2FzdGVsYW5kIl0.

20. NetHack
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...QuTmV0SGFjayJd

21. Wordsmith Free
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=search_result

22. Babel Rising 3D
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...RmcmVlbWl1bSJd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-08-07-20-36-03.png
Views:	190
Size:	914.9 KB
ID:	90344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-08-07-20-37-40.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	90345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screens.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	90348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-08-08-14-29-34.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	90351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-08-08-14-21-14.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	90353  

Last edited by darksaber35; 08-09-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #89
jocampo
Layback feline

What about using the tablet for reading, instead of play games ...
Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #90
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
What about using the tablet for reading, instead of play games ...
I can't compare it to the Tab 2, but can say I like the Nexus 7 screen better than the Nook Tablet screen for reading (not that the Nook's screen is bad). Everything is really crisp and clear even very small text.

I'm sure the next gen stuff from most manufacturers will have many of the same features as the Nexus and we'll be seeing some stuff before the end of the year. If I had a Tab 2, Fire or Nook Tab I'd probably just wait and see what comes out in the next few months.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 08-08-2012 at 10:13 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote