Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Question Charging through USB AC charger?

I am currently travelling and don't always have access to a computer to charge my 600. I bought a USB AC charger but it doesn't seem to charger the eBook reader?

Th charger is not a Sony (I was too mean to buy the real thing). Does anyone know if I can actually use this charger? Have tested it on a mp3 player and it works - so it's not the charger.

When I connect, I do get the message 'USB connected' but the little arrow to the battery doesn't turn up and the charge doesn't change even if I leave it connected over night.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
If it's not through the computer, you need to charge it from the ROUND hole. Not the mini USB.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That is correct - you cannot charge the Reader through its USB connector unless it's connected to a PC. You need a charger that connects to the round charger socket. Any charger designed for the PSP (Sony Playstation Portable) will work just fine - the two devices have the same power requirements. PSP chargers are easily available in any game store.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:12 AM   #4
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thanks for the replies. I am sure you are right, although it doesn't make sense. But then it doesn't have to.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
nholling
nholling began at the beginning.

Device: nholling
I think this is completely stupid. I don't understand why it can't just charge through USB. I don't understand the need for another type of power connector on the device. Just plain stupid design.
nholling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nholling View Post
I think this is completely stupid. I don't understand why it can't just charge through USB. I don't understand the need for another type of power connector on the device. Just plain stupid design.
While I agree with you, it is really not all that rare that a device has a USB sync/charge option, and a charge only AC adapter connection. And it does charge through USB, if it is plugged into a USB connection on an active computer. I never trust USB to charge a device. At best it is a trickle charge, and a real AC adapter gives a more constant current and quicker charging.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
While I agree with you, it is really not all that rare that a device has a USB sync/charge option, and a charge only AC adapter connection. And it does charge through USB, if it is plugged into a USB connection on an active computer. I never trust USB to charge a device. At best it is a trickle charge, and a real AC adapter gives a more constant current and quicker charging.
Hi:

(I apologize if I am being redundant or misunderstood something)

The computer must be powered and the main memory mounted, if you unmount/safe remove, the device doesn't charge. Of course if the computer is suspended the device doesn't charge. At least with my prs700. My Imate charges from usb and doesn't need to be syncing and the computer can be in suspension mode. I think that it is something related with charging optimization, but Im not sure. Never tried an AC adapter. I have an AC/usb charger and a adaptor to a round tip (from an external HD), but never tried it.

Regards.
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
ammy
ammy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
Charger for sony Reader PRS 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That is correct - you cannot charge the Reader through its USB connector unless it's connected to a PC. You need a charger that connects to the round charger socket. Any charger designed for the PSP (Sony Playstation Portable) will work just fine - the two devices have the same power requirements. PSP chargers are easily available in any game store.
The Sony Reader PRS 600 does not have a round socket for AC. It is only for DC. I am also trying to find the proper charger to use with my USB. I purchased a charger for the newer version of Sony Ereader at future Shop but it doesn't work with my reader.
ammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I have a charger for the PRS-600 that I bought by mistake, it doesn't fit my 650, and it cost so little that it wasn't worth returning. It's a wall wart and the plug that goes into the reader is round. It's been sitting unused under my desk since last fall - I hate to throw it away since it's brand new. If someone in the USA or Canada wants it, I'll send it for the cost of shipping. Drop me a PM.

Last edited by elizilla; 06-14-2011 at 04:49 PM.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
It's not supposed to be an AC charger... it's an AC powered charger that gives DC out!!!. And has previously been said, the PSP chargers with a barrel connector (round also known as Phillips) giving 5V work perfectly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammy View Post
The Sony Reader PRS 600 does not have a round socket for AC. It is only for DC. I am also trying to find the proper charger to use with my USB. I purchased a charger for the newer version of Sony Ereader at future Shop but it doesn't work with my reader.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nholling View Post
It's not really stupid, it's standards compliant. USB interfaces don't all provide an infinite amount of 5V power. Sure, the USB port in your desktop computer has a 500W power supply, but don't think that connector could take 100A.

The real reason is that small, battery powered computers, like the laptops Sony also makes, don't want to run their battery down recharging your reader. Thus the standards for USB only allow low current operation until the computer has recognized the device. Folks like the engineers at Sony put this in the rule book, so of course they are going to follow the standard.

Sure, lots of USB gizmos ignore this. Sure, I wish the Sony eReader was one of them. But, it's been that way since the 500. That was the reason they put in the round charger port, and we all bought round connector to USB cables. I don't have a new snazzy touch-screen reader, maybe it was fixed when they took out the round port. Whatever, it's not stupid, you just don't agree with the reason.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:24 AM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
To be honest, I reckon you should just splash out on/invest in the right charger, be easier all round .

And, come to think of it, say goodbye to the $ you thought you'ld save by not doing so in the first place.......

Last edited by carpetmojo; 06-17-2011 at 03:26 AM. Reason: missed a bit.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote