Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-22-2011, 06:01 AM   #1
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Like short stories?

If you like short stories I read this great book over the weekend.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feathers/dp/...0788031&sr=1-9

Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Comley View Post
If you like short stories I read this great book over the weekend.
If I don't like short stories, does it mean that you didn't read it?
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Short stories have some merit, but a after a recent experience with two I picked up from Smashwords - I've learnt to be a little wary.

1) Book of Short Stories, Volume 1 : Only read three of the contents; why, because each of these three were continued in Volume 2.....

2) Book of Short Stories : Only read two of these; why, because this was a book of excerpts.....please pay for each full story!

And yet for neither of these can I remember seeing in the intro write-up, nor the preview, that these stories were not complete.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks for that Mel. Short Stories are my favorites. I'll keep this one in mind.

GeoffC ... dude you got ripped on that! Sorry!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A couple short story collections I like is Jeffrey Deaver's Twisted and David Morrell's Black Evening. Both very good.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:52 AM   #6
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

GeoffC ... dude you got ripped on that! Sorry!
I did ....

[good job they were free......]
Old 04-03-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I did ....

[good job they were free......]
Oh, SAMPLES....

Old 04-03-2011, 05:59 AM   #8
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Oh, SAMPLES....

masquerading as books of short stories .... not the 'catch' I discovered ....
Old 04-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Topic drift, but that was the thing that pissed me off about "The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing" edited by Richard Dawkins. It was mostly short excerpts from full-length works. Pissed me off it did.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:43 AM   #10
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sadly, this is the kind of stuff that turns people off short stories.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Sadly, this is the kind of stuff that turns people off short stories.
Is this sort of thing more prevalent than I'm aware of ?

I don't think I've ever seen any such thing here, which is why I was a bit confused when Geoff brought it up.

Maybe it's an English/European thing?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I have seen anthologies with excerpts from larger works, like a fantasy anthology with a chapter of The Lord of the Rings along with the short stories, but it didn't call itself a short story anthology, just an anthology.

Here's a nice on-line short story:
Why I Live at the P.O. by Eudora Welty
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I have seen anthologies with excerpts from larger works, like a fantasy anthology with a chapter of The Lord of the Rings along with the short stories, but it didn't call itself a short story anthology, just an anthology.

Here's a nice on-line short story:
Why I Live at the P.O. by Eudora Welty
That's a GREAT story!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
kennyc

A list of short stories I just ran across:

http://readywhenyouarecb.blogspot.co...ad-before.html
Old 04-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #15
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I've only read 76 of the 334 on the list.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote