Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Maike13
Connoisseur
Maike13 began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad 1st Ed.
Web Browser possible for DR800SG?

Does the fact that the DR800SG has 3G instead of wi-fi mean that it will be impossible to get a web browser to work? I'm asking in this forum as there isn't one for the DR800SG yet and it seems pretty similar to the Iliad
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
No one outside of Irex knows what is or is not on the dr800sg. I have seen a video of the dr800sg accessing the barnes and noble ebook store, which looks like the mobile web site, so it probably does have a browser for that purpose. The lack of wifi means that verizon can easily restrict your access or ban you outright if you do anything funny on their 3g network.

Though the dr800sg has a similar look to the iliad, it shares similar hardware components and software platform of the dr1000 series.

Last edited by badbob001; 11-26-2009 at 06:15 PM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As badbob001 says, it almost certainly comes with a web browser, but iRex has not said that it will be able to access the web directly via 3G. Unless they change their mind, this won't be possible because they pay for the 3G access. If it came with WiFi then a 3rd party browser would be relatively easy to get going, even if iRex dropped the ball on web browsing.

Note that it is the wireless providers who are banning WiFi from these devices, under the theory that they make more money from download charges without WiFi. Someone needs to produce a WiFi-only Reader and include a modern web browser. I am hopeful that we will see such devices at CES in January.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:40 AM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
To install 3rd party software on DR800, we need SDK and shell access. Whether they are available for DR800 is still unknown.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Maike13
Connoisseur
Maike13 began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad 1st Ed.
Thanks for the replies. It doesn't sound too promising. It's ridiculous the restrictions the cellular companies are placing on wifi. I currently have an ancient PDA, that I use to connect to the web via wifi, and an equally ancient voice only cell phone. I was wanting to combine these into one device but all the smartphones now seem to require a data contract (typically around $30 a month) even if all you want to use is wifi not 3G. So I have to pay $30 a month to access free wifi. What a rip-off.

Sorry for the rant

Incidentally, does the DR800SG replace the Iliad, or will Irex still sell the Iliad too?

Never mind. I asked Irex and they said the Iliad will still be available, although it won't be in stock again until the end of January. I wonder if they're having a problem getting the 8" displays, as release of the DR800SG keeps getting delayed too.

Last edited by Maike13; 11-26-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Note that it is the wireless providers who are banning WiFi from these devices, under the theory that they make more money from download charges without WiFi.
Kindle 1 / Kindle 2 gen 1: Sprint + no wifi
Kindle 2 gen 2: AT&T + no wifi
Nook: AT&T + wifi
Que: AT&T + wifi
DR800SG: Verizon + no wifi

You can't really say that wireless providers are blocking the inclusion of wifi. My only conclusion, based on the evidence is:
GSM (AT&T): tolerates wifi
CDMA (Sprint, Verizon): hates wifi
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Hans Punia
Hans Punia began at the beginning.

Device: none
I can't believe such an expensive device could not have wi-fi. I mean what use is it to pay $450 for the device if it can only get ebooks. I think they should have lowered the price.
Hans Punia is offline   Reply With Quote