Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Lorraine Froggy
Lorraine Froggy began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Ratings from Amazon

Hello everybody,

I know I should open a ticket, but it's really to complicated for me so I post my resquest here, hoping it will be read.

The amazon social review and rating importation ara great, except for one thing, it use the same field as the personal rating and this is a big problem because for my part, I use the rating to tag my books.

Could it be possible do create a new field for the social rating, so that we can have the 2 ratings: amazon's and ours?

Lorraine
Lorraine Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, having two rating fields is too messy. You can simply turn off the downloading of social metadata if you want to use the rating field for your personal ratings.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Lorraine Froggy
Lorraine Froggy began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Too bad, because I like the idea to have the amazon ratings, to compare with my personal opinion. And the tags are also a great feature.

Since it's a new functionnality, I must not be the only one to use the rating field for my personal rating. Is this really so messy, because I think it will be a great improvement: why add functionnality if the users can't use it, except if they give up an existing one?
Lorraine Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's nothing stopping you from putting your personal rating into for example the comments field or as a tag.

Also if you don't want to use the amazon ratings, you can download social metadata and restore the old rating after the download.

Having a plethora of fields makes the user interface very clumsy and degrades performance.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
There is a way to solve part of the UI clutter problem, display both ratings in the same spot. You can do this with overlapping colors.

Right now the user rating is blue. Just make the Amazon rating red, and where they overlap it would be purple.

So with a personal rating of 4, and a 3 from Amazon, you would have: PPPBG

Or 3 personal and 4 from Amazon: PPPRG

Now, I'm not sure if you want to show the Amazon rating field anywhere else. That I don't have an answer for that. But it seems to me that it should be a hidden field anyway.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
WayneD
Enthusiast
WayneD began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone + PRS-505
Perhaps adding a way to customize the Amazon plugin so that the user can limit what bits of acquired data it saves would be a good solution. That would allow us to say "don't save ratings".

I'd go farther than that, though, as I think the official rating field is best left for the user to manipulate. Perhaps the ratings read from Amazon should really be saved as a tag or a comment, since it is a static thing outside of the user's control, and the rating field can then be left for the user to interact with. For those that disagree, the plugin could have an option in its customization settings to control where the rating goes. e.g.: if it has checkboxes for what data to save, have the rating be a radio button for "rating to ratings field", "rating to tag", and off.
WayneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I agree about making the plugins customizable, in fact, that was already on my TODO list. However the advantage of having a rating field is the ability to sort on it, so you can get highly rated books easily.

The way the system is architected, you can't have a per plugin setting on where to put the downloaded rating. It would have to be a global setting. And I try to minize the number of global settings, so i'm not convinced that having such a setting would be worth it.

Tags
amazon, rating