Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 04-16-2003, 04:47 AM   #1
medman
medman began at the beginning.

Device: sony clie T615
Converting multi-page ebook

I am trying to convert a drug list ebook into palm format, using iSiloX. Each alphabetical letter consists of many drugs (150-250) each with it's own page. Since I cannot load hundreds of pages into iSilox I wanted to generate a single html page for each letter which will include links for all the drugs pages that correspond to that letter.
My question: is there a way to automate the process of adding the links corresponding to each letter page, instead of adding each link individually?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:46 AM   #2
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Re: Converting multi-page ebook

Quote:
Originally posted by medman
I am trying to convert a drug list ebook into palm format, using iSiloX. Each alphabetical letter consists of many drugs (150-250) each with it's own page. Since I cannot load hundreds of pages into iSilox I wanted to generate a single html page for each letter which will include links for all the drugs pages that correspond to that letter.
I'm not clear what you want to do here from your description, but a few questions will clear things up.

1. Your current ebook is an html file that has a main table of contents page with all alpha letters on it. Each alpha letter goes to another page with the list of drugs (each drug with a seperate page), or are the drugs shown underneath each alpha letter on the table of contents?

2. You want to have an iSilo file for "A", another file for "B", etc. and each of these files has all the drugs within that alpha letter as child pages.

If the drug pages are all text, you can load a bunch of pages into iSilo if you have an expansion card. You didn't mention what PDA you have. I have a couple of iSilo files that contain hundreds of pages, and while large (biggest one is 8mb), they do work just fine residing on my memory stick.

Let me know if my assumptions are correct. There are a couple of ways to go if you truly want to split up your file: one is to write some exclusions in the iSiloX file, but that's a lot of work. The other, if you have access to the html code within your ebook, is to do a little html rebuild to get the html ebook into the form you want to use on isilo, then convert each alpha letter.

Cheers,
Gary
Advert
Old 04-16-2003, 10:11 AM   #3
medman

I will try to be more clear:
in my current ebook (which is in html format) the drugs are indexed in an alphbetical order. When I choose a letter, I reach another page which containes a table with all the drugs under that letter. Next I need to choose a specific drug from the table and click "display". That will bring up another page with the relevant info for that specific drug. Then I save this page and repeat the process for all the drugs in the table of that letter. Next I have to to the same for the remaining letters.

This leads to the accumulation of hundreds of pages and what I want to do is to create a html file for every letter that will include the links for every drug info page which I previously saved. The idea is to load these files into iSiloX. I can do that manually, but that is a lot of work. My question is how to automate the process of adding the links of the specific drug files into the file I want to load into iSiloX.

I am using a clie T615 and I have a ms with 64mb. I also have very large ebooks and the size of the file is not a problem. I am just trying to simply the process of creating the parent html file containing the links to the html drug files.

Hope the answer was clearer this time.
Thanks
Old 04-16-2003, 11:17 AM   #4
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
This leads to the accumulation of hundreds of pages and what I want to do is to create a html file for every letter that will include the links for every drug info page which I previously saved. The idea is to load these files into iSiloX. I can do that manually, but that is a lot of work. My question is how to automate the process of adding the links of the specific drug files into the file I want to load into iSiloX.
I understand better now. Sorry for the confusion! But I am curious...why is it you want 26+/- iSilo files vs. 1? If you achieve this, I'm sure the 26 files collectively will be much, much larger than the 1 file. Plus if you're in a "B" drug and need to look up a "G" drug, you have to close one file, go back to the main iSilo index and open another. Takes a lot more time than working within one file. I don't mean to pry, I'm sure you have reasons for breaking this up....just curious as to why.

There is no iSilo-based command to process one html file and split it into 26 files. There is probably a way to write a perl or php script to do this, but the effort would probably exceed doing the manual process below.

Is the ebook one html file or a bunch of html files?

Part of the problem giving you some accurate advice is that i don't know the structure of your eBook. Some are self-contained html files, some a collection of files, and some have subHtml files hidden within. If you can, while viewing your eBook see an actual path that's unique for the adrugs, then you may be able to specify pulling only that page, but it's a manual task within iSilox, I believe.

You can create a channel for each letter by specifying to exclude all in the URL filter, then include only the adrug.htm and associated pages. You can then copypaste this channel, and modify the includes to reference the bdrug.htm, and so forth. (This is assuming you have seperate .htm files for each drug.)

Let me know if this clears anything up, or confuses the issue even more!
Old 04-17-2003, 03:58 AM   #5
medman

First, gvtexas, I would like to thank you for your assistance.

I seemed to have mislead you by using the phrase "ebook" - what I meant is that this drug book has an online version as a site on the web. Thats why all the files are in html format and iSiloX would be a good tool in order to convert it into palm format.
I was planning on having one big file which would be composed of the individual 26+/- letter files (which would be accessed using the bookmark feature).

It looks like you are right and the only way to automate the process of adding the links of the individual drugs files of each letter into each letter html file would be to write a script of some sort - which I do not know how. I tried using some automation software but I was unsuccesful.

In any case - thanks for you time and assistance!
Advert
Old 04-17-2003, 08:34 AM   #6
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
I seemed to have mislead you by using the phrase "ebook" - what I meant is that this drug book has an online version as a site on the web. Thats why all the files are in html format and iSiloX would be a good tool in order to convert it into palm format.
I was planning on having one big file which would be composed of the individual 26+/- letter files (which would be accessed using the bookmark feature).
You're welcome! But before you drop this, you can pull the entire site as is into iSilo and use iSilo's bookmark feature after you have the "ebook" converted and mark each letter's place. No reason to create individual files, unless you want to omit some or just deal with only certain letter drugs. If the front page accesses each letter's alpha list of drugs, and on that page each drug listing accesses the data page for that drug, then you have a depth of 3 to set...assuming the ebook doesn't link out to other sites or references, in which case you'd gather a lot of extra stuff you didn't want. That can be controlled by iSilox properties as well.

Still sounds like a doable project (as one file, add custom bookmarks after loading). Good luck!
Old 04-26-2003, 09:42 PM   #7
hesire
Enthusiast
hesire began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten T
hey medman

whats that adress again?

i have made myself some conversions and seemed to work.

im no xpert but maybe i can help u
Old 04-27-2003, 10:47 AM   #8
medman

the address is http://www.medic.co.il
you will have to register (free) in order to enter. I was interested in converting the alphabetical index.
Eventually I managed to to so, but it was an involved process which required the use of an automation software (I used IOpus internet macros) to bring up each drug page (since the drig list in the table is associated with id and not links) and then save it. I aslo had to use Excel to created the main index page. After ~2800 pages I was done...

In any case - thanks for offering!
Old 04-27-2003, 11:29 AM   #9
hesire
Enthusiast
hesire began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten T
thanx

ok got it..

ill c what i can do.

ill let u know soon

cya
hesire