Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
profnachos
Connoisseur
profnachos began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo
Kindle editions

Based on the few books I have browsed on amazon.com, I am noticing that in each case, the Kindle editions are significantly cheaper than what you can get from other ebook vendors. For example, a book that I looked at is listed at $17.99 on ebooks.com, but the Kindle edition is only $9.99. That is nearly 50% cheaper.

Does this pattern hold universally? I have an ebookwise which I love, but if the pattern holds, Kindle can pretty much pay for itself. If so, why isn't Amazon promoting this as a selling point?

Also, did they discontinue the $100 off offer if you sign up with the VISA card?
profnachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Amazon does promote this to some extent:
Quote:
New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise.
Amazon has been aggressive about discounting Kindle ebooks, and my impression is that they are cheaper on average than FictionWise and BooksOnBoard (say), even after allowing for promotional differences between the sites. They are sometimes much cheaper for a given ebook.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Technically the $9.99 price for Kindle books is for "New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases, unless marked otherwise". For the most part, $9.99 or less is the standard price from what I've noticed. Occasionally, the Kindle version of a new book will debut higher than the marked down hard cover version of the book but within about a week it will drop down to $9.99.

My standard example:

Quote:
5/27/08 morning: Hard cover = $17.13, Kindle version = $20.76.
5/27/08 afternoon: Hard cover = $17.13, Kindle version = $15.42
5/28/08 afternoon: Hard cover = $15.57, Kindle version = $15.42
5/30/09 afternoon: Hard cover = $15.57, Kindle version = $14.01
6/4/08: The Kindle price FINALLY dropped to $9.99
Fictionwise.com comes the closest to Kindle pricing but to get the best prices, you need to become a member of their BuyWise Club and make use of their MicroPay reward program.

I don't know much about the eBookwise reader but I'm sure someone who knows more can advise you.

And yes, the $100 off a Kindle offer is over.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote