Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
sjkramer
Connoisseur
sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone
Standard system fonts for Kindle Fire?

I can't seem to find this anywhere, can anyone tell me what they would be? I'm working on creating ebooks for Kindle (KF8) and would like to know what can be specified in the style sheet without having to embed. If this has been discussed elsewhere, I'd be grateful for a link to the thread. Thanks.

Last edited by sjkramer; 01-22-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: forgot to mention that I recognize this only refers to KF8 formatting.
sjkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The fonts supported by the Kindle reader app on the Fire are: Georgia, Caecilia, Trebuchet, Verdana, Arial, "Times New Roman", Courier, and Lucida.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
sjkramer
Connoisseur
sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks SO much!
Old 01-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Why specify the font at all? It is better for the person reading if s/he can choose the font to match their own tastes. IMO, eBooks are like web pages in that the reader (person) should be able to choose the font they like best. With print books you have no choice but to force a font selection, but with eBooks it should be up to the reader.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Why specify the font at all? It is better for the person reading if s/he can choose the font to match their own tastes. IMO, eBooks are like web pages in that the reader (person) should be able to choose the font they like best. With print books you have no choice but to force a font selection, but with eBooks it should be up to the reader.
It makes for a better experience if the reader doesn't have a choice because it allows for better WYSIWYG formatting that is universal across all PC/Mac/Kindle/iPad platforms and allows for richer content to be put in more prominent places. We want to make reading more easier, but at the same time, you don't want to let that beautiful 1024x600 screen go to waste.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
It makes for a better experience if the reader doesn't have a choice because it allows for better WYSIWYG formatting that is universal across all PC/Mac/Kindle/iPad platforms and allows for richer content to be put in more prominent places. We want to make reading more easier, but at the same time, you don't want to let that beautiful 1024x600 screen go to waste.
I totally disagree with that. The idea behind reflowable text is to allow the reader to set the formatting. Forcing a font on a reader is so Apple-like. Plus I guarantee a forced font won't have a uniform look or quality across devices as each device renders text uniquely.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
sjkramer
Connoisseur

I happen not to agree with the reader's insistence on setting a body typeface (begin the rotting-egg pelting now). However, I recognize that this is overwhelmingly the advice given (demanded?) by all. For clarification, I'm referring to the display font, not the body font. Even Amazon, which bleeps out the "reader experience" line at every chance, encourages designing these elements of the book (chapter headings, subtitles, title page, etc).
Old 01-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
I totally disagree with that. The idea behind reflowable text is to allow the reader to set the formatting. Forcing a font on a reader is so Apple-like. Plus I guarantee a forced font won't have a uniform look or quality across devices as each device renders text uniquely.
You do realize that iBooks lets you change the font of text as well, as long as the book supports it.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Forcing a font on a reader is so Apple-like.
Can you explain what you mean by that? Apple's "iBooks" reader lets you choose the font, as long as it's not hard-coded by the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I see nothing wrong with "forcing" a reader to see certain fonts for chapter headers and other special text (verse, song, signage, drop-caps) that may occur in a book... not to mention being able to use glyphs or characters that may not exist in standard, included fonts. After, all... what's the point of having the ability to embed (or choose) different fonts if it's considered bad form to do so. There still needs to be a level of artistic freedom in creating an ebook... otherwise, what's the point of having the ability to style the text at all?

I will agree that forcing a reader to endure your particular font of choice for the main, basic text of the book is a bad idea (unless you need access to special characters that would otherwise be rendered as ugly question-marks or weird squares.)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-23-2012 at 12:31 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you explain what you mean by that? Apple's "iBooks" reader lets you choose the font, as long as it's not hard-coded by the book.
By Apple-like I mean the "do it Steve Jobs's way are not at all" mentality that has been the Apple SOP for over a decade. In other words, forcing a font in a Kindle book is like telling me I have to read your book using your font. That is annoying as my eyes work best with certain fonts and I should be allowed to choose those fonts. I will regardless because I can strip the DRM and clean up the CSS, but most folks with a eReader probably don't have that expertise.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I see nothing wrong with "forcing" a reader to see certain fonts for chapter headers and other special text (verse, song, signage, drop-caps) that may occur in a book... not to mention being able to use glyphs or characters that may not exist in standard, included fonts. After, all... what's the point of having the ability to embed (or choose) different fonts if it's considered bad form to do so. There still needs to be a level of artistic freedom in creating an ebook... otherwise, what's the point of having the ability to style the text at all?

I will agree that forcing a reader to endure your particular font of choice for the main, basic text of the book is a bad idea (unless you need access to special characters that would otherwise be rendered as ugly question-marks or weird squares.)
I was referring to the MAIN BODY TEXT. I agree special characters, etc. can be embedded, though I'm no fan of bloating files for artistic flair. I read to absorb knowledge not to see how artsie-fartsie the book designer can be. An eBook is not a photo are painting or a special print edition of a book. All of those definately have reason for artistic design. However, an eBook is more often than not more about reflowing text in a manner which allows the reader (person) to read the text in the most satisfying manner. Therefore I believe the focus should be on the content with as little forced formatting as possible.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-23-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Tags
fonts, kindle fire