Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
quicksilver
dude
quicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook
Question Linux on the PRS-500

I'd like to build some applications on my PRS-500. To do so, I'd like to install linux on it.

Has anyone done this? Is this possible? I've heard about OpenInkPot (great work!), but unfortunately there's no support for the PRS-500
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
Never heard of it happening. Get the epub update though if you havent.
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
quicksilver
dude
quicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enough

I only use my ebook for txt files. So I don't need the update.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
It adds a lot more useful stuff to it. shows up as a removable drive, delete books, titles in list work right
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
It may not have OpenInkPot support, but it does already come with linux
The epub firmware upgrade does indeed do many good things.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
quicksilver
dude

All wonderful things, but...I live in Canada! So there's no way for me to get the update

All I want to do with my Reader now is to hack it and use it for my senior project.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #7
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
All wonderful things, but...I live in Canada! So there's no way for me to get the update

All I want to do with my Reader now is to hack it and use it for my senior project.
I live in Australia! Getting the firmware update for me was easy: send it off to Sony - they sent it back to me updated
I understand that Canadians can have their firmware updated at the Sony Toronto service shop.. but that is second-hand information.
More info for you in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63127
Old 12-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
quicksilver
dude

Thanks AprilHare. Do you know if the autorun hacks will still work?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Thanks AprilHare. Do you know if the autorun hacks will still work?
Have not tried hacks yet.
The firmware is akin to the PRS-505.
Testing would be required; I know all existing hacks are overwritten with firmware upgrade.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
quicksilver
dude

Ok thanks. Good to know.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
"shows up as a removable drive, delete books" damn I want both of those options badly. but not worth the battery life issues. Hopefully they will produce ONE more update to eliminate the battery life issue.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, openinkpot, prs 500