Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #16
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Pretty disappointing and underwhelming stuff.
Fourl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Seems odd that one of the menu items at the bottom says 'ebook shop' if it doesn't have WiFi.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Seems odd that one of the menu items at the bottom says 'ebook shop' if it doesn't have WiFi.
That is odd, I agree.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:58 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
But... but... Euro 149 is not exactly cheap.
It's a reasonable price for an 8" device. And don't forget that this price will include VAT of around 20%.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
8" is the perfect size - a full page size of a typical mass market paperback.
But, it being a closed platform, there are important questions:
- the infinite (or very long) list (stack, really) of last read books
- sufficient margin sizes.
- fonts, if I can't have Amasis font then what? I cannot read without it.
- also what if neither of the 6 font sizes is right?
- dictionaries?

The ABSENCE of front-lighting is a MUST for me, so I am happy at least about that.
I would not consider buying a reader with that less than 100% transparent light distributing layer that is bound to crack sooner or later.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #21
euro traveler
Connoisseur
euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Nook STR, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini, Nook HD & HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
My TrekStor Pyrus Mini's home page is similar, with an icon labeled, "Get more eBooks" Like the Maxi, it has no WiFi. When you select the "Get more eBooks" icon, you go to a page that starts out, "New and interesting eBooks easily obtainable via the TrekStor eReader Suite." It goes on for a bit, touting the benefits of using their eReader Suite, such as "continuous updates" and synchronization.

Further along it reads, "Your favorite eBook shop is already integrated into the TrekStor eReader Suite. Browse eBooks conveniently and easily on your PC or MAC. Discover the latest bestsellers or find those books you've always wanted to read."

One small problem with that, though. I never got their included eReader Suite to install (the Mini ships with the Suite already in its memory) and almost bricked my Mini when I tried installing it from their website. As far as i know, no one has been able to install it.

I wasn't planning on buying books through their Suite, but wanted the access to updates.

Calibre recognized my Pyrus Mini right away and I use it for ebook management.

I love my Pyrus Mini and it's now my favorite ereader I own. It's perfect for keeping in your pocket for instant use.
euro traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #22
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
No WiFi!
Wi bother?

(new idiom?)

lol
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #23
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@forsooth, lol @ wi bother! Good one mate, I am stealing it for future use.
Fourl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #24
gter1965
gter1965 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4 NT, Kindle DX, Pyrus Maxi, Pyrus Mini
The pyrus Maxi is a nice ebook reader, good size for reading not heavy and very nice reflow with pdf. I like and i really would like that this reader can be better known and not only criticized
gter1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #25
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
After launching the tiny 4.3" screen Pyrus mini, Trekstor have just announced its big brother, the 8" Pyrus Maxi

The mini has a 230dpi 600x800 4.3" screen.
The maxi has a 160dpi 768x1024 8" screen.

It also has 4GB of memory to the mini's 2GB and also claims twice the battery life. But other than that, they seem very similar.

The screen resolution can't compete with the Kobo Aura, and it's more expensive than the Kindle Paperwhite.

But if you want a physically bigger screen, this might be for you.

According to The Digital Reader, it's due in mid-May for around €149.
£149 for that/

you can buy the nookglow for half the price and it does everything after you root it.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #26
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
£149 for that/

you can buy the nookglow for half the price and it does everything after you root it.
Cool, err, how do you root the nookglow to get an 8" screen
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #27
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Cool, err, how do you root the nookglow to get an 8" screen
quite simply project the image onto a larger surface using your smart phone.

or use a magnifying glass.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:19 AM   #28
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
quite simply project the image onto a larger surface using your smart phone.

or use a magnifying glass.
Excellent idea

I can read Fahrenheit 451 in the sun with a magnifying glass for that realistic effect.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote