Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
nla_pes
nla_pes began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How to?

Hi my name is Paul and I'm new to this forum. I've had my kindle for about four months. I am 73 years young and my knowledge of computing is limited. My wife got her kindle first so we loaded Kindle for PC on a computer so we both can read at the same time. That's the background here is the question.
I down loaded a book published in 1922 from the Library of Congress. When I down loaded it, it ended up on Kindle for PC. Any one have any ideas on how to move the book form kindle for pc to my kindle? Calibre does not to want to transfer to my kindle and the download site keeps sending copies to Kindle for PC.
Thanks,
Paul
nla_pes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Have you tried "side loading"? Plug your Kindle into your computer with the USB cable and open up the Kindle directory in a new window. Open the folder where your ebook file is stored (might be stored under My Documents, or the Kindle for PC file folder, or perhaps Calibre). Copy/paste the file into the Kindle directory folder.

Also, do you have Kindle for PC and the new Kindle registered to the same account? If not, that might explain why things are not syncing properly. Does Calibre give you any kind of error message when you try emailing to the Kindle? Double check that you have the correct address and that if you're using the @free.kindle.com address, you're connecting to wifi instead of 3G to download.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
When buying the book, did you chose "Deliver to Kindle 4 PC"?
In that case (and presumably that both the Kindle and the PC are on the same Amazon account), try to check "Archive" under "Home" on the Kindle. If it sits there, you can have Kindle downloading it to itself via wi-fi or 3g (based on your Kindle model).
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
When you download a book, your browser should ask you where you want to put the file. If you tell us which browser you are using, we can advise how to change the download location, if needed.

Normally, as stickybuns said, you find the file on your pc, and copy it to the Kindle via the USB cable.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
my kindle contents

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
(might be stored under My Documents, or the Kindle for PC file folder, or perhaps Calibre)
in 'my documents' there is a folder called 'my kindle contents' where the books on 'kindle 4 pc' are stored. drag the file to the 'documents' folder on the kindle.
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you didn't download it from Amazon (which it doesn't sound like you did), it's probably not in the Kindle for PC's 'My Kindle Content' folder. It will be wherever you told your browser to save it (or wherever your browser automatically saves downloads). Since Kindle for PC is the default application for mobi files, it automatically opens it when clicking on it.

What I'm guessing is happening, though, is you are clicking on the ebook file on the website and choosing 'Open' instead of 'Save As'. That would explain what you mean when you say; "the download site keeps sending copies to Kindle for PC."

I'd suggest going back to the download site, and trying to click on the download link again, and this time, choose 'Save As' or 'Save File' instead of 'Open'. The browser should then prompt you where to save it and you can make note of the location.

Hope you get it worked out.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Somewhat off topic: You can download books from the Library of Congress? I did not know this! Must go investigate...
Old 04-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Maybe this is the starting point? http://www.loc.gov/library/about-digital.html
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
stickybuns
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histerius View Post
Maybe this is the starting point? http://www.loc.gov/library/about-digital.html
Thank you! Google was my friend for this... looks like PDF scans can be downloaded from archive.org.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Paul you might try clicking on My Computer and then in the search bar typing in the title of the book. That will show you where it's stored on your computer. Then hook up your Kindle and either drag or copy the file to it.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool my kindle content

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you didn't download it from Amazon (which it doesn't sound like you did), it's probably not in the Kindle for PC's 'My Kindle Content' folder. It will be wherever you told your browser to save it (or wherever your browser automatically saves downloads). Since Kindle for PC is the default application for mobi files, it automatically opens it when clicking on it.
DiapDealer, that's incorrect. any file you open with kindle 4 pc gets copied to 'my kindle content'.
--
Alan
Old 04-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace
DiapDealer, that's incorrect. any file you open with kindle 4 pc gets copied to 'my kindle content'.
Wow, you're right.
When did that start happening? It certainly hasn't always been the case.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #13
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool i really don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Wow, you're right.
When did that start happening? It certainly hasn't always been the case.
i really don't know when, the oldest k4pc installer i have in my archives is 1.0.1 and it's always done that on my pc.
--
Alan
Old 04-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #14
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Paul you might try clicking on My Computer and then in the search bar typing in the title of the book. That will show you where it's stored on your computer. Then hook up your Kindle and either drag or copy the file to it.
A nice little free search utility you may find useful is the Everything Search utility. I use it quite frequently.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:46 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

If you are using a search utility... do yourself a favor and search for all files with a .mobi, .prc, or .azw extension. There's no guarantee that the file name will even have the title/author in it.