Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
LarryLaser
LarryLaser began at the beginning.

Device: MS Reader (.LIT)
Conversion from .doc & .docx??

Hello Kovidgoyal

I am very impressed with your invention, the Calibre seems to be very nice, so far.
But I am new to it.
Recently I have been trying to create a new set of Study e-Books for the Foundation of our country, mainly cause that education is no-longer being taught in schools now, It was when I went to school, but that was 40 years ago. A lot of people have asked Questions and made a lot of complaints about the operations in our government groups, not politically based, all sides are screwing up.

So my objective is to create a Study Guide that has a lot of the Information, Starting with the Baseline or our system,
  • The Constitution,
    The Bill of Rights and the Amendments,
    then Have the Letters and Comments from our Founding Fathers,
    and including baseline of the Interpretations,
    (basic English and simplistic definitions) comments made by Teachers and Educator over a long time.
and to have quick links, like hyperlinks that can go back and forth to the definitions of statements, comments or questions in the e-book.
So far my book is over 800 pages (8.5x11) in the Word 2007 version, I can create the e-book in .pdf format but the conversion to MS Reader fails cause of CSS errors, mainly cause Word 2007 puts way too much meta-data in the file. Not kidding, in the base file there are over 2000 lines of meta-data. When I convert it to HTML format and then clean out a lot of the crap, It begins to partially work as I wish, But I have a lot more to go.

So my Questions,
Are you considering making the Calibre conversion process handle the input of the .doc and .docx formats??
And if so, will the converter be able to clean up the crap not necessary in the files??
If not, What would you suggest to format, Word 2007 does have a few "Save As" formats capable, like the .rtf, .htm, .html, .txt, .xml and .pdf and others.

Thanks
Larry
LarryLaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Larry, if you would save the doc/docx in an unfiltered .html format with the content links etc, calibre will convert it nicely with TOC etc. HTH.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
LarryLaser
LarryLaser began at the beginning.

Device: MS Reader (.LIT)
Thanks "tnronin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnronin View Post
Larry, if you would save the doc/docx in an unfiltered .html format with the content links etc, calibre will convert it nicely with TOC etc. HTH.
I am just studying the calibre manager right now and have installed and tested it with a couple of my e-books.

Over the next few days I am going to have tested the conversion process to the .lit format, If it works as I wish I will continue the work on my project then create the conversions in to every format I can and then get them published and distributed to as many sites and School systems I can.

My work is just like the best developers I have ever met, OPEN SOURCE mentality. Do your best and others appreciate with help you need.

Thanks Again.
Larry
LarryLaser is offline   Reply With Quote