Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Isn't there a tool available to convert LRF back to HTML? You should then be able to convert the HTML to ePub.
Tested Lrftools and I got the best results when converting to html, which is quite convenient as a base for reconverting to anything.
It requires some time investment to understand howto, but it works.
And it does batch processing converting at once all lrf files in a folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Yes there is, try doing a search for ABC Amber Sony converter that purports to convert LRF (not LRX) to PDF, HTML, CHM, DOC, RTF, TXT, HLP documents.
Last time I tested ABC, I got very poor results. It's basically plain txt without any formatting in different format containers: pdf, html, doc,... Pretty useless IMHO.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Yes there is, try doing a search for ABC Amber Sony converter that purports to convert LRF (not LRX) to PDF, HTML, CHM, DOC, RTF, TXT, HLP documents.
ABC Amber Sony Converter is not good. It loses the formatting and graphics. The author did tell me that he was going to update it to handle all this and given the time frame, I'd say he never will.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #18
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ABC Amber Sony Converter is not good. It loses the formatting and graphics. The author did tell me that he was going to update it to handle all this and given the time frame, I'd say he never will.
I agree but it may be the best there is currently. You can find it here.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #19
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
Didn't think it would happen. Thanks Kovid and I too can't wait for 6.13. Whoohoo

Last edited by RandallFlagg; 09-18-2009 at 03:15 PM.
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:21 AM   #20
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Thanks for the link Slayda! After going thru the trouble of changing to LRF, I feel like I better make a backup of some things in basic format.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #21
Stebs
Stebs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Stebs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Stebs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Stebs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm
FYI, there is a Website that converts some formats online, among them LRF to ePub: http://www.lib2go.com/

Also interesting:
Quote:
Lib2Go is based mainly on "calibre", a e-book library management application and utilites. Calibre is free, open source and cross-platform. You can download it here.
So maybe they have already added the missing pieces to calibre for LRF -> ePub conversion?

Conversion gave no optimal result for me though (some words were in a tiny size etc.) but it's better than nothing.

Would be great to see LRF->ePub (etc.) in Calibre some Day, am still using my Palm, so I need mobi, and in mobileread e-Book Upload Forum there are sometimes free eBooks that are LRF only...

Oh, and hi all
Stebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #22
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Welcome to the forum, Stebs!
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #23
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Does Calibre convert epub to LRF? I am working on some items and want to make sure that I can do the proper conversions....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Does Calibre convert epub to LRF? I am working on some items and want to make sure that I can do the proper conversions....
Calibre does convert ePub to LRF. But, version 0.5.14 does a better job at converting to LRF then 0.6.x does.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #25
veysey
Enthusiast
veysey doesn't litterveysey doesn't litter

Device: Sony ?
Another tool

I didn't much like either ABC or LRFtools, finding their output to be poor. The best luck I had for converting non-drm lrf to epub was a combination of calibre and "lrs2html.rb", a script available here:
http://www.spontaneousderivation.com...e-rough-guide/

Probably works best under linux, but I had fairly good results with the chain lrf->lrs->html->epub, using calibre for the first and last steps.

This guy proved Kovid's assertion that most of the work was already done!

Cheers,

John
veysey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It really just needs a few hundred lines of code.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #27
pars_andy
Connoisseur
pars_andy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It really just needs a few hundred lines of code.
Would love to help. Unfortunately, if i wrote a few hundred lines of code it certainly wouldn't end up doing anything remotely useful.
pars_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually since I'm currently stuck at an airport and I'm bored of fixing bugs, let me give it a go, should end up with something that should do at least as well as lrs2html.rb and should be possible for those who care to improve relatively easily.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #29
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

All done in 650 lines of code. Attached is an LRF file and the EPUB from it. Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: lrf html2lrf.lrf (823.4 KB, 175 views)
File Type: epub html2lrf.epub (184.9 KB, 193 views)
Old 09-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #30
Boxdoc
Boxdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 700, Kindle 2
Great! Will you be adding this to the next revision of Calibre?
Boxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote