Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I just.... can't.

Have been in lurking mode for a while here. Anyway here goes. I've read 18 books this year (many fat thick books of 500 pages or over hence the big page count). While visiting my home country (I'm a permanent expat) I saw a book I always wanted to re-read and own. It is "Agony and Ecstasy" by Irving Stone; beautifully written, something you don't want to put down. I read it only once, years ago and it took my breath away. So, there it is, hard cover, I can afford it, I buy it, I drag it on the plane... and put it on the shelf. It is a size of a brick. It is paper. It is not comfortable to hold. Or carry around on the metro. And it sits there. I opened it twice only to say "well, later". It is not available as ebook (in my language at least) or I would have read it already a month ago.

What has happened to me??? I am permanently damaged or what? Would and did read paper when deprived of ereader but now... I just can't. I seem to suffer from inexplicable reluctance to printed books.

Other paper gems that are sitting there are "Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden (read as ebook in English, would prefer in my tribal language, but you know, it's paper), then "Woman from the Dunes" (or how you translate it) by Abe Kobo, and a non-gem but paper chewing gum for the brain which happens to be Bridget Jones diary, part II. Didn't touch them with a stick yet.

Anyone?

Last edited by Chi Cygni; 05-24-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
All I can say is "Bridget Jones diary, part II" - don't touch it with a stick, whether it's an ebook or paper book. It's awful. I loved the first one though (it's possible I'm actually a girl...)

More on topic, I hate reading paper books now. How are you supposed to eat with one hand and read with the other?

Andrew
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I no longer have to read into the gutter. So now I much prefer not to.

And book-cramp-hand is no longer an issue either.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Yes, I have paper books sitting around that I just can't bring myself to pick up, even though I'm interested.

Maybe after the Apocalypse, when we're hurled back to the stone age technologically, I'll get back into paper books.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The last dead tree book I bought (The Art Of Racing In The Rain) is still sitting on the shelf unread almost 2 years later. I've heard it's a great read, maybe I should buy the ebook so I'll finally read it.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I have no problems with hardcovers at home, but generally don't take them outside of the house any more.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Ever since switching to ebooks, I rarely choose to read paper books. Those rare times are usually because I want to read something that isn't available in electronic format, or something that doesn't satisfactorily translate to electronic format. Books with facing page translations, large format/picture books, and travel books come to mind.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I am also reluctant to read paper books now that I've been spoiled by Kindle. It's such a pain to keep the darn things propped open while reading! I find that e-ink is easier on my eyes too, especially since I can adjust font size.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I don't buy physical books for pleasure reading any longer. If it is not available on my Kindle, then I find something else to read. About a third to half of the books I have had to read for my graduate degree have been available on my Kindle. Obviously, I buy the physical books for my classes.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I am also reluctant to read paper books now that I've been spoiled by Kindle. It's such a pain to keep the darn things propped open while reading! I find that e-ink is easier on my eyes too, especially since I can adjust font size.

Same here but I use Kobo devices
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
When my wife used to drag me out to Border's or B&N to pursue her knitting magazines, I would generally find myself seeking out their comfy chairs and hauling out my reader.

What me browse the stacks, not a chance. There be dead trees there!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
"The Agony and the Ecstasy" by Irving Stone hmmm. That's a book I haven't heard of in a while. I read it years ago in a Reader's Digest edition I think. It would be great if it were to come out in a Kindle version at some point.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I don't read paper books any more unless I can't find an ebook version. I do like to visit the library and bookstore to thumb through the paper versions to see if an ebook is worth getting; I'll sometimes 'sample' a paper book from the library before buying it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
My beloved two-volume OED collects dust these days. Between built-in dictionaries and near-instant Google/Yahoo definition searches I'm afraid those paper volumes are destined to just look pretty on the shelf.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
My beloved two-volume OED collects dust these days. Between built-in dictionaries and near-instant Google/Yahoo definition searches I'm afraid those paper volumes are destined to just look pretty on the shelf.
My Greek Lexicon (Liddell and Scott) and my Lewis and Short Latin Dictionary cost me around $300. The apps for them that I found the other day, which contain the digital versions of the dictionaries and are easily searchable? $4 each!

I just bought the paper version (2nd ed) of the Oxford Latin Dictionary. There is no app version of it yet, otherwise I would have saved my money. I have to admit that I sometimes prefer the paper versions of dictionaries when working at home, but the digital versions are extremely convenient when I am out and about, not to mention often economical.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote