Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Books on Board asking for my country of residence?

Hi all,

I haven't logged on to Books on Board in a while, and tonight I found a box asking me for my country of residence. Anyone know what they do with this information? If it's for tax reasons I can live with it, but my worry is that they might start limiting access to some ebooks for some countries, and I would NOT like that

Florence
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i got the same box recently (and wondered for a second if i were going senile, because i don't remember seeing it before...), but i didn't give an answer. i'm not sure what the reasons are either and until i know i'd rather not.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I saw it, did not respond. None of their business, they have an address for my credit card and that's all they need.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the replies, so I'm not alone in not liking this

I did not reply either, but I didn't realize I could still use the site without this

Maybe they will just use it to manage copyright on works that are not expired in all countries? I wouldn't mind that I guess, what I would mind is if some editor decides that they don't want to sell in a specific country, or only through a specific channel. A bit like Amazon refusing to sell me ebooks because I didn't buy their reader
Old 11-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i get a bad feeling that this may be related to this.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Territorial rights are a huge issue for publishers, expect to see more and more of such limitations.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Yes, I was afraid of something like this.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Territorial rights are a huge issue for publishers, expect to see more and more of such limitations.
If thats the case then buyers may look at other ways of getting the books and sales will suffer
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
KurtJohnson
KurtJohnson doesn't litterKurtJohnson doesn't litter

Device: Cybook, Sony 505
BooksOnBoard: Publisher territory restrictions

Recently, a very few publishers have begun stricter enforcement of territory rights, not an issue when ebooks were more marginal to them. This effort seems to be related to UK e-tailers seeking to protect 'turf'. While we disagree in principle with these restrictions, and believe the web should be global, we understand publishers need to control their product in a world of currency exchange rates in constant flux. BooksOnBoard is currently working to develop a solution to satisfy the requirements of these territory restrictions and still meet the needs of our customers.

BooksOnBoard policy has always been to require and retain as little information about customers as possible. We retain only customer email address, first and last name and login ID. The only CC information retained is the last 5 digits, in fact our payment system is such that BooksOnBoard never actually has access to the complete CC number of any of our customers. We are committed to protecting our customer's privacy, we view it as a most important responsibility to do so.

In order to meet the territory requirements of publishers, we now provide a place to capture country of residence, as declared by the customer. If a customer then attempts to purchase a title affected by publisher territory restrictions they are notified when attempting to add it to their cart. Very few of the titles we offer are affected by the territory restrictions. We also hope this trend is limited and other publishers do not follow suit. Books On Board must cooperate with our publisher and distributor partners, but we are thoroughly committed to always advocating what we feel is the best user environment for our customers.

Sincere Regards,

Kurt Johnson
BooksOnBoard
KurtJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

thank you for the answer, Kurt. it's really appreciable to have someone directly from BooksOnBoard address our concerns and explain the situation.

I'm glad to know BoB's attitude about this situation (which i completely support) and profoundly chagrined to discover that publishers seem once again to be making the worst possible choice. ironically, i can order a paper book from, say, amazon US and as long as i'm willing to pay the higher shipping rate they'll send it to me anywhere in the world. the idea of limiting internet sales of ebooks based on geographical location is so absurd as to be laughable, were it not a real problem. if UK e-tailers don't want to lose sales to other online booksellers, perhaps they should consider a more realistic pricing policy.

maybe it's time for yet another letter-writing campaign to the publishers... joy.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
blunty
Enthusiast
blunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone5, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Vox
It is always easy, and commonly done on these forums, to put the blame solely on the Publishers. Working for a UK publisher we will often have the rights to a book to be produced in the UK while a different publishing company has the rights in the US. These rights are negotiated and sold usually by authors and their agents to maximise their returns from their intellectual property.
This discrepancy in territorial rights does not sit well with the global internet market but are a consequence of the historical set up in the industry. Any publisher, agent and author must have the ability to sell only to the market they have the rights for. Until every publisher is sold worldwide rights for every book, for every format as well then DRM and territorial restrictions will be with us. And that set up will hurt the smaller non US publishers much more than the Harper Collins and Penguins.
As we do not have the Kindle here in the UK I can not buy e-books from Amazon, even though I have a device and could transfer from my PC (No wi-fi). That is not down to territorial rights, that is just down to Amazon in the main.
blunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtJohnson View Post
Recently, a very few publishers have begun stricter enforcement of territory rights...
Hi Kurt,
Is it possible to collect this information during the purchase of a particular book/publisher who requires this information. This knowledge will empower the consumer to make savvy purchasing decisions as to whether we want to support such publisher with these restrictive policies. Instead of allowing them to hide under BoB and making BoB look like the problem

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 11-10-2008 at 12:27 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunty View Post
It is always easy, and commonly done on these forums, to put the blame solely on the Publishers. Working for a UK publisher we will often have the rights to a book to be produced in the UK while a different publishing company has the rights in the US. These rights are negotiated and sold usually by authors and their agents to maximise their returns from their intellectual property.
This discrepancy in territorial rights does not sit well with the global internet market but are a consequence of the historical set up in the industry. Any publisher, agent and author must have the ability to sell only to the market they have the rights for. Until every publisher is sold worldwide rights for every book, for every format as well then DRM and territorial restrictions will be with us. And that set up will hurt the smaller non US publishers much more than the Harper Collins and Penguins.
As we do not have the Kindle here in the UK I can not buy e-books from Amazon, even though I have a device and could transfer from my PC (No wi-fi). That is not down to territorial rights, that is just down to Amazon in the main.
that's a good point, but i think the key concept there is that these problems "are a consequence of the historical set up in the industry." the whole point is that the industry is trying to maintain a way of functioning which is no longer relevant due to the fundamental changes brought about by technological advances.

certainly, it makes sense to negotiate rights based on territory when we are talking about physical objects which will be distributed via chains of physical stores. but when the merchandise is dematerialised and is sold via something called the "world-wide web" (it's right there in the name !!), it might be time to rethink those old limitations.

particularly since, as i mentioned previously, i find it even more ironic that i can buy a paper book from US-based amazon from anywhere in the world, and they will ship it to me. i've done this many times.

so yes, i do place the blame on the side of the publishers, for obstinately clinging to a hopelessly out of date distribution paradigm which is totally irrelevant to today's world.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Hi Kurt,
Is it possible to collect this information during the purchase of a particular book/publisher who requires this information. This knowledge will empower the consumer to make savvy purchasing decisions as to whether we want to support such publisher with these restrictive policies. Instead of allowing them to hide under BoB and making BoB look like the problem

=X=
this seems like an excellent suggestion to me. alternately, if this is technically too complex, could you give us a list of the publishers making this demand ?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #15
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
In fairness to publishers, while I don't like it I can see why they are doing it: They're the ones who can get sued.

They're covering their ass.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote