Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
RobFreundlich
Connoisseur
RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet with Calibre Companion and Moon+ Reader Pro
Calibre Companion and Kindle Fire Newsstand

The main reason I bought Calibre Companion is to wirelessly grab (onto my Kindle Fire Original) the newspapers (news feeds, etc) that Calibre downloads and formats for me every morning. It's working like a charm, except for one thing: after I connect, sync, and disconnect, the Newsstand doesn't see the new issues.

If I dismount and remount the internal SD card, then the KF seems to do a rescan, and the Newsstand will then see the new issues. I don't have an app specifically to do the dismount/remount, but I've got GO Launcher, so I drop out to it and use its switcher widget to do the dismount/remount, then come back into the Kindle launcher. It's clumsy, but it works.

Does anyone know of an app that will do the dismount/remount, saving me the GO Launcher step?

Alternatively (I guess this is directed at chaley), could there be an option in Calibre Companion to dismount/remount the SD card after disconnecting the wireless connection?
RobFreundlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Does the app SDrescan do the trick?

CC already tells android that new files have arrived, both file by file when receiving books (a "file changed" notification" and when CC exits (a "media mounted" notification). It might be sufficient to simply quit and restart CC (tap "back" until CC exits).

Last edited by chaley; 02-05-2013 at 10:37 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
RobFreundlich
Connoisseur
RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried exiting and restarting CC, and it didn't seem to help. Maybe the Newsstand needs something slightly different?

Well, in any case, I'll give SDrescan a try when I get home. I was looking for a dismount/remount, but if all that's doing is triggering a full media scan, I expect SDrescan will do the trick.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
RobFreundlich
Connoisseur

SDrescan didn't do it, nor did exiting and reentering CC. I had to explicitly dismount and remount the SD card. Very strange.

I love my KF, but sometimes Amazon's stuff can be a real pain in the <bodyPartOfChoice>.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Another one to try:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ro99ma.EjectSD

After that, I am at a loss.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
RobFreundlich
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Another one to try:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ro99ma.EjectSD

After that, I am at a loss.
Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, I need an app, not a widget, because there's no way to use widgets from the Kindle Fire's homescreen.

I'm already set up to use GO Launcher Ex to get out to a "real" homescreen, and it has a dismount/remount widget that I'm using. So I have a solution in hand, but it's 4 steps - run GO Launcher, click widget to dismount, click widget to dismount, click Kindle button in GO Launcher to get back to Kindle homescreen.

What I'm looking for is an app that I can stick into my KF homescreen's Favorites shelf and save myself a couple of those steps. Although as I think about it, to really save steps, I'd need two apps - one to dismount, and one to mount (bringing me down to 2 steps). Or an app that simply toggles the mount state. That'd do it in 2 steps too.

Otherwise it's still 4 steps - run app, click dismount, click mount, exit app. So maybe this is a fool's errand.

Or maybe when I have a free moment I'll try to write the "toggle state" app. Which ought to be possible since it's what the widgets do, but see earlier comment about not putting Widgets in the KF homescreen. And earlier earlier comment about loving the KF but being annoyed by some of Amazon's design choices.

Tags
calibre companion, kindle fire