Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #346
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
It seems like it might be relatively simple to add SLEEP and SHUTDOWN icons to the reading options navigation bar that pops up at the screen bottom when you press the screen center while reading. Or add them to the Sleep and Power section of the Settings menu and just take you to that screen when you press a single power icon on the reading options menu bar. That way you would also be able to access it from anywhere you hiave the Settings menu as an option.

I wouldn't be adverse to a more obvious low battery warning, but why not just display battery level at the bottom of the page where the page numbers show as you're reading? That'd be a pretty obvious place for one to notice it as they hit the page bottom. Simply changing the icon to something obvious or adding "BATTERY LOW!" would be great. If they could swing it, it'd be cool if they let the user set the warning level from the Sleep and Power section of the Settings menu since people decide to recharge at different levels based on usage, proximity to a charger within a given time period, and charging level beliefs. Personally, I tend to charge when between 20-40% because I'd rather a moderate than a full cycle especially as the cell ages. I know there is circuitry in a lithium battery to prevent discharging to a certain level, I just wonder if it's a fixed point or sophisticated enough to recognize the additional stress of deep discharge as the overall power capacity decreases with age. Rather safe than sorry.

I'd really like some sort of grayscale mapping compression option or a high contrast option on the browser.

It would also be great if they could get the page rendering engine to override CSS settings, etc. in favor of menu settings for text size, margins, etc. when reading.

Last edited by TechniSol; 10-22-2012 at 12:14 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:34 AM   #347
Caramon77
Enthusiast
Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kobo Glo
I think these are a must :

- Override CSS for margins, line height and font, most android e-reading apps do so but a dedicated reader as the Kobo Glo DOES NOT! The best option will be to leave the style options already implemented in Kobo (does not change font in "containers" like P or SPAN with a CSS specified font, but changes the BODY specified font) and add a "FORCE" flag that overrides every CSS option for fonts, margins and line height so i can have my font for most text but leave embedded for chapters, for example.
- Hierarchical TOC
- Battery warning
- Correct cover bug in 2.1.5 (every cover has large right/left margins...why?)

Will be appreciated :

- Large covers in Home like 1 large and 4 small or 4 large
- folder view to navigate file structure
- "HYDE" option to avoid showing of specified shelves
- Hierarchical shelves like folders. For example if i use a "-" means "create hierarchical" so i can specify, in Calibre, "Scifi", generically, or "Scifi - Asimov" if i want.
- Text correction, if i find an error i would like to correct it and save. If someone fears about modifying watermark in Social DRM you should apply an empty CSS style, just to mark added text and an "hyding" style to keep removed text.
Caramon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #348
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramon77 View Post
- Correct cover bug in 2.1.5 (every cover has large right/left margins...why?)
Because that is the way it is in the book it comes from. The Kobo devices use the first page of the book as the cover. If this has white stripes down the side, then the cover will have white stripes.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #349
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Since the beginning of october (so since I bought my Glo) I have already read 5 books and is currently reading an other (all side-loaded boks, converted as epub to epub within Calibre, from two different series). None of them had margin around the covers. Perhaps its a problem of proportions ? I have a numeric frame to show photos and as my camera takes 2/3 photos, all are cut down by it (it's meant to display 4/3 pictures) except vertical ones that are framed by black margins. I suppose that rather than strech the cover to fit the screen, the firmware add margins.
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #350
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Isn't this thread for the first two Kobos (and NOT for the touch, mini, or Glo)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #351
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
Since the beginning of october (so since I bought my Glo) I have already read 5 books and is currently reading an other (all side-loaded boks, converted as epub to epub within Calibre, from two different series). None of them had margin around the covers. Perhaps its a problem of proportions ? I have a numeric frame to show photos and as my camera takes 2/3 photos, all are cut down by it (it's meant to display 4/3 pictures) except vertical ones that are framed by black margins. I suppose that rather than strech the cover to fit the screen, the firmware add margins.
Yes, that is what is happening. If the image used in the book is a scan of a paperback cover, the proportions are different to the Kobo ereaders screen. If that was simply being used as the cover, it would either be displayed with white bars down the side, or stretched horizontally. But, as the first page is used, it depends on the code in the page for displaying the image. This can display the image at it's natural size, resize to fit the screen but keep it proportional or stretch to fill the screen.

If you are using calibre and sending the covers over, it stretches them to the appropriate size.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #352
Bytes
Bytes began at the beginning.

(for the glo)

I see a lot of you asking for a go-to function.

I'd be fine if they just upgraded the slide bar to include scrubbing speed (like iphones on music) so that you can get more accurate than 'within 10 pages or so'.

(I'm aware the earlier suggestions may have been answered by the slide bar)
Bytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #353
joostjodel
joostjodel began at the beginning.

[Kobo Glo, my current FW=2.1.5]

What I would really appreciate is an option to either make the bottom bar disappear while reading, or make it much much smaller, in order to gain screen real estate for a true full-screen reading experience. It looks like this bar is now eating up almost 10% of the vertical screen space, just for showing some page numbers.

I used to own a Kindle (3G - that's before I sat on it), which had a much more modest reading progress bar at the bottom. This is actually my main gripe with the Kobo Glo I just got, which is otherwise great.
joostjodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #354
LouisXIV
LouisXIV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckytcky View Post
If a web browser is added to a future firmware, I think it would be great if the browser had parental controls to disable web access.
Yes, please. I am happy with my Sony PRS-T1, but since the new PRS-T2 doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade and comes with an unwanted browser, I decided on the Kobo glo as a gift for a 12-year old.

I didn't realize (not listed in the specs or in the features for the device on kobo.com) that the new firmware comes with a browser. I don't think the child's parents would like her to have unfettered Internet access through a browser, so unless I can figure out how to have this "bonus" removed, I am going to have to return the device.
LouisXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #355
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisXIV View Post
I didn't realize (not listed in the specs or in the features for the device on kobo.com) that the new firmware comes with a browser. I don't think the child's parents would like her to have unfettered Internet access through a browser, so unless I can figure out how to have this "bonus" removed, I am going to have to return the device.
Do the parents need to leave the Wifi on on the device? I'm about to give my ten year old a Kobo, and if I couldn't trust him, I'd just keep it in airplane mode and keep our wireless router password-locked.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #356
LouisXIV
LouisXIV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Do the parents need to leave the Wifi on on the device? I'm about to give my ten year old a Kobo, and if I couldn't trust him, I'd just keep it in airplane mode and keep our wireless router password-locked.
My concern is that they live downtown, within range of several open or loosely protected wireless networks. It would be great if airplane mode could be locked into place, as someone requested in the thread 1.5 years ago, in anticipation of Kobo adding a browser.
LouisXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #357
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisXIV View Post
Yes, please. I am happy with my Sony PRS-T1, but since the new PRS-T2 doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade and comes with an unwanted browser, I decided on the Kobo glo as a gift for a 12-year old.

As an FYI - the browser is an unsupported beta feature (which is likely why they don't advertise it - they make no guarantees it will work the way you want) but it has been there since the early days of the Kobo Wifi (2 devices ago) - it's not something added recently with new firmware.
Having said that, I can understand your concern. It's pretty primitive and limited functioning but a kid wanting to get onto something would live with it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #358
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
When I was travelling I realized the browser is needed to sign onto many free and paid public WiFi networks, which could be why it was developed in the first place.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:08 AM   #359
mstrogoff
mstrogoff began at the beginning.

Translation dictionnary as default window when selecting a word

Something VERY useful to read a book in another language than mine should be this : what if the window that appears directly when I select a word is not the "definition dictionnary", but my default translation dictionnary.

I'm french, I've got many english eBooks, and having to go through "definition window", then menu and then choosing "translation dictionnary" makes reading these english books much slower for me...

Sorry for my english here - see, I DO need it !
mstrogoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #360
Zurga
Zurga began at the beginning.

[For the Wifi\Touch\Glo]
Would it be possible to have RSS feed support in the Subscription application?
Zurga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo