Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #1
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
KIndle Keyboard browser bookmarks

I have several “restored” Kindle Keyboards. I’ve held onto them because I can use the free 3G to check my email when I am in the mountains without internet or cell phone connection. The other night, my main Kindle froze. I could see my home page, but if I moved from one title to another the only option I had was to delete books – there was no way to open one. After several restarts, I decided to plug my Kindle into my computer to try Kubrick and to move my documents folder to another Kindle, but, before I could run Kubrick, my Kindle came back to life. After reading for a couple of days, it again froze and plugging it into my computer brought it back to life. However, I am preparing a backup Kindle and wanted to know if anyone knows where the browser bookmarks are stored. Somehow I managed to bookmark by Gmail so that it still works on my failing Kindle, but the older bookmarks on my backup Kindle won’t work and no amount of Google search links have worked. There must be some way to transfer all content from one Kindle to another, but I haven’t found it.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Unless all of your books have the DRM stripped, books from Amazon will only work on the specific device they were first downloaded to. So a copy from another Kindle won't work.

If there are no cell towers for your phone, the 3G connection won't work either. And 3G is becoming less available as well as carriers shut down those networks.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2020, 11:13 AM   #3
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Unless all of your books have the DRM stripped, books from Amazon will only work on the specific device they were first downloaded to. So a copy from another Kindle won't work.

If there are no cell towers for your phone, the 3G connection won't work either. And 3G is becoming less available as well as carriers shut down those networks.
I have no problem transferring books and 3G works fine. The problem is that I have a bookmark on my old Kindle browser that works for Gmail, and I have been unable to reproduce that on my "new" Kindle 3. I can search Gmail, but none of the links work. I have no trouble getting to Gmail from a bookmark I made for my old Kindle. I wanted to find that bookmark and transfer it to another Kindle, but I don't think it is possible.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #4
montalex
Fanatic

I got it! I hand-copied the URL from the working Kindle browser to the new one, and, after several sign-in attempts, it finally worked and I was able to bookmark it.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
FTS
FTS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I got it! I hand-copied the URL from the working Kindle browser to the new one, and, after several sign-in attempts, it finally worked and I was able to bookmark it.
Hey, would you be willing to share the link? I've been having this problem for a long time as well! Thanks!
FTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2020, 08:57 PM   #6
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Hey, would you be willing to share the link? I've been having this problem for a long time as well! Thanks!
The link is specific to my Gmail account. I was, in the past, able to sign in to my account and make a bookmark on an older Kindle. For some reason, older bookmarks to Gmail stopped working.

Last edited by montalex; 01-28-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:28 AM   #7
FTS

Ah, ok, I wouldn't want you to share it then, probably. I just haven't been able to get gmail to work anymore, and was wondering if there was some kind of magic that would fix it.

Thanks anyway!
Old 01-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #8
montalex
Fanatic

I'm so sorry! On my old Kindle, I just Googled Gmail and kept trying sign-in links until one worked. Google changed something, and the Kindle 3 browser has no update, but there is a way to use the old version.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:37 AM   #9
montalex
Fanatic

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...e_keyboard_3g/
Old 01-31-2020, 08:09 PM   #10
montalex
Fanatic

I was able to get into my Gmail account on another repaired Kindle 3 by opening the browser, using the menu button to go to "enter URL" and entering http://gmail.com, then I was able to sign into my account and chose the basic HTML version at the bottom. I then bookmarked the page and the old bookmark was replaced with one that works.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #11
FTS

Hey, thanks - yeah, the problem is that I can't even seem to sign in. I put in my password and then it times out with an error. I never get to a point where I can choose the HTML version.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #12
montalex
Fanatic

I found this useful for links to websites: https://www.amazon.com/Kinstant-Plus.../dp/B01C9CGTKQ
I could not find the free version, but it is out there somewhere.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:00 PM   #13
montalex
Fanatic

I just notice that if use the bookmark to go to Google, then search "gmail" you should get a choice for use html at the bottom.