Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 01:45 AM   #1
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Just got my Kindle 1, battery life horrible compared to Sony 505

With my Sony 505, I could go forever without having to worry to plug it in. With the Kindle, even if I don't use the wireless, shortly after unplugging it I see the battery meter drop down a bit. I just don't feel like the battery life is comparable at all.

I really really really had to try to drain my Sony's battery life. If I look at the Kindle wrong, the battery drops more.

I like the Kindle, I like the wireless features, I like the Amazon store, and WSJ journal delivered, but the battery is very lacking in my opinion. Maybe I got a dud. I did get it used on Ebay, but still. I had my Sony for around a year or so and the battery in that is still going strong.

I almost wish I hadn't sold it.... time will tell. Anyone else who has had both notice this?
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:56 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
We have noticed our Kindle 1 must be charged much more often than our 505, but I get the impression your Kindle is much worse, maybe you should order a new battery
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I agree with the above. I think a new battery is in order. Maybe the previous owner just kept the wireless on continuously, and sat on the page turn button all the time.

That is one of the pluses of the K1: The battery is easily replaceable.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:04 AM   #4
palex481
Connoisseur

Isn't the battery always out of stock? Where is the best place outside amazon to get it?

Let's put it this way. Since I've gotten it on Thursday, the battery has run completely out about 2 times. I have used the wireless a good bit, but it seems if I use the wireless at all, the battery just sucks down really quickly.

I thought even with wireless it was supposed to last a few days.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:13 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I found this on another thread. I hope it helps.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...926#post368926

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since it's a K1 and the battery is user replaceable, just buy a new one and replace it. BattryShip says they'll be shipping on March 13th.

http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/ht...0&model=Kindle
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2009, 02:15 AM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Availability is an issue isn't it?

But on Amazon, you can get a used one from a secondary seller for only $2,400.

Best of luck.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

.... oh and $4.95 shipping.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:18 AM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by palex481 View Post
Isn't the battery always out of stock? Where is the best place outside amazon to get it?

Let's put it this way. Since I've gotten it on Thursday, the battery has run completely out about 2 times. I have used the wireless a good bit, but it seems if I use the wireless at all, the battery just sucks down really quickly.

I thought even with wireless it was supposed to last a few days.
My K1 usually keeps it's charge for about 10 days of regular reading (maybe 20 hours or so between charges). I never use wireless unless it is plugged in.

However, as noted, the battery is an easy replacement. I bought an extra just to have it around in case I ever need it.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:22 AM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
I never use wireless unless it is plugged in
That kind of makes a mockery of the wireless option. In most cases if you can plug it in, you can also plug it into a computer for download.

Just make sure that the cats don't pee on it while it is plugged in.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:25 AM   #10
palex481
Connoisseur

See I only switched because of the wireless. I have several feedbook newspapers, which collect 5 or so blogs each in them. I just click the Update button on the feedbook cover page and bingo, fresh new material is downloaded to the kindle for my perusal.

It works great! I am just scared of turning on the wireless with this battery.

I just ordered a new battery from batteryship.com and it should be here within a few days. We'll see how that goes.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:02 AM   #11
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Batteries only have so much juice, eventually they quit holding much of a charge - just like a laptop (my old laptop went from 3 hrs to 15 minutes of battery life in a year and a half). If you bought a used Kindle than you really can't make a general statement about the battery usage. With the wireless off, I always found mine was about the same as the Sony - but if you're in an area with weird or bad reception it can run the battery down MUCH faster if you have the wireless on.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:42 AM   #12
Star56
Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle, Sony Psr-300, Sony Psr-505
There are a ton of new KINDLE 1 batteries for sale on the net. I purchased one this week. Delivered in two days. About 20 bucks.

It is a backup. My Kindle 1 runs for days on a single charge.
Star56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
That kind of makes a mockery of the wireless option. In most cases if you can plug it in, you can also plug it into a computer for download.

Just make sure that the cats don't pee on it while it is plugged in.
No, if I can plug it in, that means I'm near a wall socket, not necessarily a computer. I plug it my Kindle into the wall socket much more often than I do a computer. In ract, I seldom plug it into the computer.

One of the great things about the Kindle is that you can actually use it .... without a computer.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by palex481 View Post
With my Sony 505, I could go forever without having to worry to plug it in. With the Kindle, even if I don't use the wireless, shortly after unplugging it I see the battery meter drop down a bit. I just don't feel like the battery life is comparable at all.
Did you put ALOT of content on it? The kindle indexes all your content when you first add it. That does use quite a bit of battery. But, once it is done doing that you should see comparable times between the K1 and the Sony provided you don't have the wireless on.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #15
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
I think you'll find better results with your new battery. I've only had my Kindle 1 for a few weeks. I charged it up about a week ago and I keep wondering when the battery meter will go down. It still shows almost full. I haven't been reading it all that much but I'm impressed with the battery life. I have not used the wireless at all in that period though.

Greg.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote