Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #421
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
AFAIK, you can't install your own font into any of the reading apps in either iOS or android. Most of them do give you a choice of font style and size, but that only goes so far. It can't make a low ppi screen appear much better.

Having said that, the third party reading apps in android give you much more flexibility in terms of formatting and page styles. In iOS you're pretty much stuck with iBooks or Stanza which have limited options. So you're more likely to be able to customize your reading page to your particular needs more easily in android than on an Apple device.

--Pat
Dunno about iOS, but considering how many great apps iOS has, it surely should have at least one. Maybe Bluefire? Or Stanza?

On the Android side you *definitely* can use your own fonts.
*I* do.
Coolreader 3, Moon Reader, and FBreader all can. Probably others.
Coolreader has a zillion options and it lets you tweak the antialiasing, too, to adjust to your display's nature and characteristics. One of the reasons it's my reader of choice these days.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-04-2012 at 09:29 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #422
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Dunno about iOS, but considering how many great apps iOS has, it surely should have at least one. Maybe Bluefire? Or Stanza?

On the Android side you *definitely* can use your own fonts.
*I* do.
Coolreader 3, Moon Reader, and FBreader all can. Probably others.
Coolreader has a zillion options and it lets you tweak the antialiasing, too, to adjust to your display's nature and characteristics. One of the reasons it's my reader of choice these days.
No, you can't install your own font into Stanza or Bluefire.

So, are you saying you can install your own font into Coolreader, Moon Reader, and FBreader and are not limited to their own in-app options?** If I want Adobe Garamond to be in all my books, all I have to do is install it into Moon Reader? That's news to me. If so, just one more reason a serious reader of books who's picky about formatting and fonts should go with Android over iOS.

You cannot do that on iOS.

**As opposed to simply having an embedded font in an epub show up which is not the same thing.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 11-04-2012 at 09:55 AM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #423
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Can anyone provide a resource for apps available on a different platform not on another and the best ones? It would help to know for a decision if the mini is on one's radar.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #424
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So, are you saying you can install your own font into Coolreader, Moon Reader, and FBreader and are not limited to their own in-app options?** If I want Adobe Garamond to be in all my books, all I have to do is install it into Moon Reader? That's news to me. If so, just one more reason a serious reader of books who's picky about formatting and fonts should go with Android over iOS.
Correct.
On my Sony T1, I use coolreader 3 in dual column landscape mode using the Georgia family as my default font. If the epub has a hard-coded font, there is a switch to disable the internal CSS and use *my* defaults.
On Android, you create a /fonts folder in the root of the sdcard and the ttf fonts you put there are available for most of the apps that support it. (It's a common-sense convention. Plus it avoids wasting space with duplicate fonts.)

If you want to read with serif or sans serif typefaces, or handwriting fonts or even comic sans, you just copy the files and then set the font size (in one point increments, usually).

You can also adjust margins, line spacing, alignment, or hyphenation. And you can disable all the faux-pbook animations; no silly page turns of slides. Just tap and the next page just pops in. Much more immersive.

So yes, if you want a reading app that compares to the most flexible eink readers (Pocketbook, Onyx, etc) you can get there with android.

Me, I'm in the market for a hardcover class color reader and I had an eye on the Mini until I saw the price. Of course, if there truly isn't a single reader app that supports installable ttf fonts, that right there it's a non-starter even if the price drops or the screen improves. (Thanks for the warning.)

What I want is a tablet, as close to the size of a typical hardcover as possible, that'll let me read color magazines, comics, access the Kindle store as well as Nook and/or Kobo, and has at least one "Your-way" customizable reader app. SD card support highly desirable.

After the last week's announcements I'm converging onto either the Nook HD+ or FireHD 9. The Nook has the sdcard and is cheaper, the Fire *definitely* lets me load the reading apps I want. I'll have to wait until I can get my hands on them to test ergonomics and build quality, especially rigidity, but I can probably live with either.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-04-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #425
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Can anyone provide a resource for apps available on a different platform not on another and the best ones? It would help to know for a decision if the mini is on one's radar.
For android you don't have to go far:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70921
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #426
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Correct.
On my Sony T1, I use coolreader 3 in dual column landscape mode using the Georgia family as my default font. If the epub has a hard-coded font, there is a switch to disable the internal CSS and use *my* defaults.
On Android, you create a /fonts folder in the root of the sdcard and the ttf fonts you put there are available for most of the apps that support it.
This is great. I was already going to go with android anyways, but this just cements my decision.

Will this also work with the Nexus 7 which doesn't have a card slot? I assume a fonts folder can be placed somewhere in the internal storage?

Quote:
And you can disable all the faux-pbook animations; no silly page turns of slides. Just tap and the next page just pops in. Much more immersive.
I very much like the faux animations, especially the one which replicates a page turn. For me, it makes reading seem more book-like and I forget I am reading on an electronic device.

Quote:
Me, I'm in the market for a hardcover class color reader and I had an eye on the Mini until I saw the price. Of course, if there truly isn't a single reader app that supports installable ttf fonts, that right there it's a non-starter even if the price drops or the screen improves. (Thanks for the warning.)
Not only is there no reading app into which you can import your own font, but Stanza is no longer officially supported for iOS. They reluctantly put out a version compatible with iOS 5 about a year ago, but they warned that no further updates will be made. Hence it is not compatible with the current iOS 6 or iPad Mini.

The choice of third party reading apps for iOS is really pitiful, and I've never understood why someone hasn't developed a better one yet to at least equal Stanza.

Quote:
After the last week's announcements I'm converging onto either the Nook HD+ or FireHD 9. The Nook has the sdcard and is cheaper, the Fire *definitely* lets me load the reading apps I want. I'll have to wait until I can get my hands on them to test ergonomics and build quality, especially rigidity, but I can probably live with either.
Yes, the new Nooks look interesting. While their ecosystem is still being panned in recent reviews, most reviewers are praising their screens, especially the one on the 7" model. I am considering it (along with the N7) but I will wait to hear how feasible it is to side load and use android apps that are not in B&N's store. That will be key.

--Pat
Old 11-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #427
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
and at the end of the day all that trumpeting about fabulous apple ecosystem is just that: an empty story...it might have 275.000 so called tablet apps but it lacks even basic flexible apps for reading books...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #428
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Will this also work with the Nexus 7 which doesn't have a card slot? I assume a fonts folder can be placed somewhere in the internal storage?
--Pat
Not sure about the Nexus.
You almost certainly should be able to put the fonts folder somewhere in the onboard storage but where I don't know. The main reason why the sd card location is a "standard" for the fonts folder is because a lot of the early linux and android devices blocked the onboard root directory.
Worst case scenario, you might have to put fonts in each of the apps' install directory.
You might want to ask in the android forum; the nexus 7 owners should know where to put it.

And yes, the suitability of the Nook HD+ as a "universal" reader hinges on the ability to sideload apps. Without it, I'll default to the Kindle.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #429
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

CNET just posted a breakdown of the Mini costs:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57544850-37/ipad-mini-costs-at-least-$188-to-build-teardown-reveals/

$188 to build the mini.
The custom-sized screen is the biggest cost: $80 and the biggest bottleneck for ramping up production. The screens come from LG and AUO, with AUO being the weak link in the supply chain.

Going by past Apple pricing it appears that at $329 Apple did, in fact, drop the price before launch. A $188 build cost would normally mean a $350 price in iOS land.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #430
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Best Buy is selling the Ipad3 for $399 which were returned/exchanged for the IPad 4 within 30 days. Guess they had no choice on recent IPad 3 purchases.

I know the size difference but I rather have that for the extra cost than the mini.

Last edited by robertc88; 11-04-2012 at 03:17 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #431
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
They reluctantly put out a version compatible with iOS 5 about a year ago, but they warned that no further updates will be made. Hence it is not compatible with the current iOS 6 or iPad Mini.
Says who?
Several people have reported Stanza working fine with iOS6.

Quote:
The choice of third party reading apps for iOS is really pitiful, and I've never understood why someone hasn't developed a better one yet to at least equal Stanza.
What does BlueFire lack?
murraypaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #432
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Says who?
Several people have reported Stanza working fine with iOS6.
Who said it is working fine? Many have said it is essentially a crippled app under iOS 6. See here: '

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191489

It is fine if you are using an old version of iOS, but on the latest version, Stanza is pretty much dead.

Quote:
What does BlueFire lack?
Bluefire is a good reading app, but it is no Stanza. It lacks:
  • Seamless integration with Calibre for easy importing of epubs
  • The ability to adjust line spacing
  • The ability to adjust paragraph indentation
  • The ability to import a custom font into the app to be used universally in all your books
  • Grouping into collections based on tags

--Pat
Old 11-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #433
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not only is there no reading app into which you can import your own font
Shubook allows importing of users fonts, there may be others that do:
http://www.ambibma.com/en/font_import.html
Old 11-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #434
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Bluefire is a good reading app, but it is no Stanza. It lacks:
  • Seamless integration with Calibre for easy importing of epubs
  • The ability to adjust line spacing
  • The ability to adjust paragraph indentation
  • The ability to import a custom font into the app to be used universally in all your books
  • Grouping into collections based on tags
You might want to give ShubookSE a try.
I haven't used it enough to give a real recommendation, but I think it satisfies all the requirements above.
It feels a lot like Stanza but with a Far-Eastern focus, I would say that they have very definitely aped a lot of the Stanza interface.

Last edited by murraypaul; 11-04-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #435
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
You might want to give ShubookSE a try.
I haven't used it enough to give a real recommendation, but I think it satisfies all the requirements above.
It feels a lot like Stanza but with a Far-Eastern focus, I would say that they have very definitely aped a lot of the Stanza interface.
Not bad. I actually tried Shubook about a year ago before Stanza got an update for iOS 5, and at that time it was very rough and didn't have all these features. It has improved a lot since then and is very Stanza-like now, but it does lack organization. Stanza will read the tags in all your books and group them accordingly. But apart from missing that, Shubook appears to be the best alternative to Stanza on iOS.

Still, as a whole, the reader apps for Android are so much better than what's available for iOS. It isn't even close. Why are there so many good options for Android but so very few for iOS? I've never understood why.

--Pat