Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #46
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
For me:
  • Jayne Castle
  • J.D. Robb
  • Mary Stanton
  • Jayne Ann Krentz
  • Nalini Singh (Psi/Changeling)
  • Shelly Laurenston
  • Cynthia Eden
  • Patricia Briggs (Alpha & Omega)

Perhaps, if I think more, I can find others but better not.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #47
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
No, it only says that you don't like romance and like fantasy
Hmmmmmm...don't know what to say, but fantasy without romance is dull for me
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #48
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I'm thinking
I'm thinking
I'm thinking

hmmm...

I don't think there is anyone I buy automatically anymore

Used to buy Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels before he lost his mind and brought dead people to life; used to buy Jennifer Crusie before she started co-writing with what's his name; used to buy Nora Roberts but that is way too many books (though I guess I do end up buying the J.D. Robb books); used to buy Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick but she got way boring/too many books; I usually buy Julia Quinn's books but skipped the last one; oh! I guess the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich qualifies...I'll buy the new one as long as it comes out on Kindle. I guess the Star Trek: Titan books are an auto buy right now. Otherwise, I'm really blanking out. I pretty much sample, read reviews, etc. cause I've been burned by favorite authors.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #49
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
My fiction list of autobuy authors of current fiction includes

• Robin Hobb
  • Harry Turtledove
  • Richard S. Tuttle
  • Alastair Archibald
  • David Weber
  • L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
  • Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (when writing together)

Raymond Feist used to be on the list but his newest book was such a disappointment -- cardboard characters, repetitive plot -- that I doubt I'll buy another book written by him.

I also like to collect first editions of pbooks and have a separate list for those. That list includes Sinclair Lewis, some of whose works are worth reading and rereading.

There are also a few nonfiction authors whose books I immediately check when released, but nonfiction authors of the genres I like aren't exactly prolific in comparison to fiction.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #50
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
My list shortens every year:
Martha Grimes
Carol O'Connell
P.D. James
Colin Cotterill
John Burdett
Terry Pratchett
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #51
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Seeing this old thread made me realize how much my purchasing habits have changed since I bought the Cybook. With the price of ebooks all over the place now I think the only author I automatically buy is Steve Jordan.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:57 AM   #52
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Hmmmmmm...don't know what to say, but fantasy without romance is dull for me
Me (usually) too
Old 06-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #53
sunsetsylvia
Enthusiast
sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (sangria red), PRS-350 (silber), Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
For me:
  • Jayne Castle
  • J.D. Robb
  • Mary Stanton
  • Jayne Ann Krentz
  • Nalini Singh (Psi/Changeling)
  • Shelly Laurenston
  • Cynthia Eden
  • Patricia Briggs (Alpha & Omega)

Perhaps, if I think more, I can find others but better not.
How nice to see a fellow romance reader. Btw, I've read Brigg's Alpha & Omaga installments, too so far and plan to read the next as well. That makes her an autobuy in that regard, doesn't it?

And yep, a little romance doesn't hurt, no matter what (genre).
sunsetsylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:49 AM   #54
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetsylvia View Post
How nice to see a fellow romance reader. Btw, I've read Brigg's Alpha & Omaga installments, too so far and plan to read the next as well. That makes her an autobuy in that regard, doesn't it?

And yep, a little romance doesn't hurt, no matter what (genre).
I totally agree (with romance and autobuy )
Old 01-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #55
Kymmmm
Connoisseur
Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color and Simple Touch
I have a few favourites:
Wen Spencer
J.D.Robb
Barbara Hambly except her latest series bejamin january
Tanya Huff
Steven Brust
C J. Cherryh
Sharon Lee, Liad series
Bujold
Kresley Cole
Jim Butcher

Any of these I would buy sight unseen.
Kymmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #56
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Not a bad thread to revive.

I guess I've got a few that may not so much be auto-buy, but are a definite buy even if not straight away:

China Mieville
Barbara Vine
Neal Stephenson
Robert McCammon
Connie Willis
Neil Gaiman (if it's a novel)
Iain M Banks
A A Attanasio

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #57
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
I'll buy anything Terry Pratchett writes without bothering to find out what it's about first

And as for the rest, I no longer buy automatically, *except for the book series that I just need to complete: i.e. GRR Martin (if he ever gets around to publishing the next book), Robert Jordan's WOT, etc.

*I've gotten burned with this one when the children of some authors took a stab at continuing their parent's legacies (i.e. Pern, Dune) - turned out to be terribly written!
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #58
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Paul Auster - though after his latest I might have to review that.
Haruki Murakami
Magnus Mills
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:38 PM   #59
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Orson Scott Card
David Weber
Eric Flint
Tom Clancy
JK Rowling
Greg Bear
Larry Niven
Brian Herbert, well the Duneiverse books anyway
James Pattersom
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:56 AM   #60
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I will buy anything KJ Parker writes.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote