Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Thinking about selling my Nook

Well, I've had my Nook for three weeks now and I still want a Sony. Initially, I brought the Nook because of the price. I mean it's nice but I still daydream about the Sony. Now, I see that Best Buy is selling the PRS-350 for $119.

Besides fingerprint smudges on the LCD screen, the Nook is in pristine condition. I've kept it in the Jack Spade cover, which has worked very well to keep it protected. When I brought my Nook and my cover it came to $180. The cover normally sells for $85.00 but I got it for $19.95. I was thinking of selling it for $180 to get back my costs and then buying the Sony and pocketing the rest. I dunno, maybe $150 would be a good price? I did write my name in the cover since it has a tag for it.

My husband thinks I should keep the Nook, wait and buy a Sony eventually. He thinks I might regret selling the Nook. I don't think so though. I mean if I really like something I keep it. I love my iPod. I will probably keep it until it dies. I never had any thoughts of selling it. However, I can't say the same for the Nook.

I mean the Nook isn't a bad machine but I guess it just isn't what I expected? It's rather heavy and hard to hold with one hand. It didn't seem that heavy in the store but now that I have it, it feels bulky. Pushing the page turn buttons is fine and the page turns are fast but I do miss the touchscreen that I got accustomed to by using the iPod. Plus, sometimes, I end up inadvertently swiping the touchscreen and going back or forward a page or two. Yet, most of the time when I try to use the touchscreen intentionally, I have a very difficult time swiping the page. Lastly, I do find the using the LCD interface and the sidebutton a bit awkward at times. For instance, when I want to go through my library, I have to use the LCD to go up and down the list on a particular page but if I want to go to another page, then I have to use the side buttons. Even now, I get it mixed up occasionally.

I don't want to make it seem like there's nothing good about the Nook. The e-ink screen works well and the battery life isn't bad. I can go a few days without charging (which is fine because I have to charge my iPod and my cell phone more often). I like being able to personalize my screensaver. Lastly, it does allow me to do what I brought it to do, which is read e-books and especially library e-books. Still, I feel like I have buyer's remorse or something like it. What do you all think?
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Funny, cause I find myself using the Nook more than the PRS-350 when I'm at home (but the 350 is indredibly portable, so on the go that's my first choice).
I think it's important to feel good about something you use as much as a reader. You probably won't be able to get the 350 out of your head anyway, so I say "Go for it". If possible hang on to the Nook for a while as well until you've really "road tested" both. I feel very fortunate to have both, but of course that's not an option for everyone!
I saw the $119 price at Best Buy, and that is a really good deal!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2

I told you to get a Sony

Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you can afford both of the devices pick up the Sony and see how you like it. Maybe you will find you have a different opinion after using the Sony for a while.

E-readers seem to do very well when sold on EBay and similar locations. I think that you would be able to sell either reader pretty easily and make back most of the money you put into them. The other possibility is keeping them both and that way your Husband and you have a reader.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have both a Nook & the Sony 350. I read more with the 350, but I still like my Nook. But I think I'm going to give my Nook to my sister (it is about a year old).

I find the Sony easier to hold & love the touch screen. I did notice smudges on the LCD touch screen for my Nook, but I don't notice them on the new Sony touchscreen. I'm sure they are there but then I do wipe my screens periodically anyway so no problems.

I originally wanted a Sony last year, but wasn't as impressed with the 600 that was being sold at Best Buy. So I got a Nook instead. When the PRS 50s came out & the 350 went on sale for $129 I grabbed one a few months ago. I've been very pleased.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
timothyh
timothyh is on a distinguished road

Device: nook color, nook touch, sony 350
I own both and like them for what they are. I agree with Asawi that I'm using my nook more often. The sony doesn't show fingerprints (unless you have really oily hands). The sony is also so much lighter and portable that I take it on trips. I like reading from a little larger screen like the nook's. Sony tends to be rather overpriced, but the quality is sure there. At this price (a good deal--this is what I paid), I would suggest getting the sony, but not sell your nook just yet.
timothyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found the Nook and Nook color way to heavy and not portable enough to carry about, thats why I went with the Sony pocket Reader and I love it, the Pearl e -ink screen is nice and it really fits in every pocket I have, I'm quite happy with it.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to stick with the Nook for now. It's not perfect but I don't want to sell it, get the Sony find that there's something I don't like about the Sony and then come right back to square one. I can't afford to have both at the moment. However, I like ProfCrash's suggestion. I'm going to hang onto the Nook and when I can afford the Sony, give it to my husband.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
Why would anyone ever want to go through life 'settling' for one thing, and dreaming of another?? I mean, it isn't like you're pulling up at a light in your Corolla next to a Ferrari, and dreaming of the day you can get one. We're talking a freakin' Nook vs. a Sony. What is it? $50, $100. Sheesh.

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Because people are in different economic positions. Maybe they can justify a one time expense of XXX dollars because they saved for it but not a second time until they save for it.

On a different note, my K3 arrived and I am amazed at how comfortable it is. It is so small and light weight. Love it. I moved my collections easily but decided I needed to redo collections because the collections that work for DX take up three pages on the K3. (sheepish blush)

It sounds like you are enjoying your Nook, it is just not perfect. When then time is right you will be able to pick up a different e-reader and hopefully it will be perfect.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I'd do just the opposite and sell it. Once bought a couch in a wild pattern and decided to go for the subdued hues to make up for the pattern as I was afraid I would get fed up with it too early. All that happened was that everytime I looked at it, I regretted my decision. This went for six long years!

Never again would I not act when I'd changed my mind. I'd sell it and buy the Sony. You will read on it each day for the next two or three years. Do you really wanna regret your decision everytime you reach for it?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Faithbw, the Nook is a nice handy reader. Like I stated previously I have both. It does the job & makes purchasing fairly fast & easy. The battery life is not the best & it is heavier than any of the Sony's. But if expense is important then I think you know the route you should go. It is nice to be able to come to a place & discuss options. It often makes things clearer. Happy reading.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
faithbw
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordeater View Post
Why would anyone ever want to go through life 'settling' for one thing, and dreaming of another?? I mean, it isn't like you're pulling up at a light in your Corolla next to a Ferrari, and dreaming of the day you can get one. We're talking a freakin' Nook vs. a Sony. What is it? $50, $100. Sheesh.

WE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Because people are in different economic positions. Maybe they can justify a one time expense of XXX dollars because they saved for it but not a second time until they save for it.
This.

For some of us $50 or $100 out of the blue is a lot. I had some extra money because of my income tax return but now we have to save. I can't buy another e-reader right now. Simple as that.

I went to Best Buy today to take another look at the 350. I still had doubts about keeping the Nook. I do like the 350 but that is also not perfect. As in the past, I found the 5" screen to be too small for me. I've gotten use to the 6" screen of the Nook. I didn't realize how much bigger a 6" screen is until I compared the Nook and the Sony side by side. I guess the Sony is great for travel but I can see myself getting annoyed with reading the 5" screen while in bed. The 6" screen of the 650 would probably be better if I was going to replace the Nook. The touchscreen on the 350 was great and the contrast was great but I couldn't get over the size.

Plus, I'm beginning to warm up to the Nook more. I read it today outside and it was perfect for reading in sun. It was great to read on a screen that didn't washout. Plus, I can still fit the Nook into my purse (I tend to carry big purses).

There's probably no perfect reader for me. When I save some money, I'll invest in another reader. For now though, I'll be content with the one I have.

for all of your advice. Oh, ProfCrash, I'm glad you like your new K3.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:30 AM   #14
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordeater View Post

WE
I'd like to move from the Nook to a Sony PRS-650...but it's not worth the price of upgrading.

Imagine if I upgraded everything like that...e-reader...tablet...computer...special edition games/movies...etc...that's a lot of money.

For me the Nook works good for reading - I'd love some better battery life and a completely e-ink device like the Sony...but not worth the upgrade.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
faithbw,

I think you are the only one who can decide if you like the Nook or not. You also need to consider why you bought the Nook initially and what kind of features you were expecting from the device, like battery life, weight, how it feels on your hands, etc.

I personally like light devices for long reading sessions and good battery life as well; those two were the main reasons for selling my old Nook. I also think the Nook is kind of old in terms of ereader technology. But if those I mentioned are not an issue for you or you really need or use Public Libraries titles, just keep it!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote