Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2007, 05:08 AM   #1
zander_nyrond
zander_nyrond began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Memory card storage limitations (just in case anyone else is as dumb as me...)

If anyone else has invested in a 2GB card, tried to transfer more than about a hundred files to it using libprs500 and got an error message what they do not understand, the way round that i've found is to use a card reader and create folders on the card. Put about a hundred files in each folder and it works. Of course, the Reader takes about a hundred years to work through the card when booting up and shows all the files at once, so navigating through to the book you want is a page-by-page job, but then, if you didn't want that many files on the Reader at once, why get that big a card?

(i know this is probably thuddingly obvious to all the aficionadoes on here, but i couldn't find a thread on it so this is a PSA to all the beginners like me.)
zander_nyrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:21 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you want to put a large number of files on a memory card, doing so via an SD card reader is certainly the easiest way to do it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Zander, please file a bug report for libprs500 so it can be fixed. Thanks!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Actualy your number is 128 files/directories. That is a limitation of the fat file systems for SD cards left over from the floppy drive format that SD uses. It only applies to the root directory

Mark
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can create folders on the card with libprs500 as well. It has a mkdir subcommand.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
zander_nyrond
zander_nyrond began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Ah. Then that's because I mostly stick to the GUI cos I'm fick. Thanks.
zander_nyrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Does this relate at all to using the Connect software also? (The only time I've taken the SD Card out of my Reader is when swapping from the broken one to this one. And so far I only use Connect for the Reader management.) And I'm up to 100 books on my Reader, so I'm wondering if I'm about to get into a bind.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:39 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Zander, please file a bug report for libprs500 so it can be fixed. Thanks!
This isn't a bug. I suspect that Zander was trying to put all the files into the root directory of the card. Memory cards have a fairly small limit on the number of files you can put into the root. Put them in a folder and there's no limit.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:40 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
Does this relate at all to using the Connect software also? (The only time I've taken the SD Card out of my Reader is when swapping from the broken one to this one. And so far I only use Connect for the Reader management.) And I'm up to 100 books on my Reader, so I'm wondering if I'm about to get into a bind.
No. Connect puts all its books into a folder, not the root directory. You'll be fine.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:31 AM   #10
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No. Connect puts all its books into a folder, not the root directory. You'll be fine.
Thank you!
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:52 PM   #11
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMascaro View Post
Actualy your number is 128 files/directories. That is a limitation of the fat file systems for SD cards left over from the floppy drive format that SD uses. It only applies to the root directory

Mark
The actual limit of files in the root directory depends on the formatting. Under FAT-16, there is a formatting parameter one can set (at least if one is using a good formatting utility) that defines the number of files in the root directory. Under FAT-32, there is no limit to the number of files in the root directory, but I don't know if the Sony Reader understands FAT-32.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #12
wrgoodman
wrgoodman began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Im 2X MORE DUMMER THAN YOU!!!

I purchased a 4gb memory stick duo for my reader because I'm a reading freak and wanted to put audio books on as well. I have about 1200 books on the READER and just about everytime I attempt to put more books on the READER it will say the destination card can no longer be accessed. So when I disconnect I go through over an hour of the churning arrows or having to reset or both. Then I will defragement the memory stick which solves the problem but I will have to reapeat this process again and again and Im spending more time troubleshooting than reading!
When I contacted Sony they told me you cannot create folders. So the Reader will recognize folders on the memory card?

thanx
wrgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #13
phrodod
Enthusiast
phrodod began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgoodman View Post
When I contacted Sony they told me you cannot create folders. So the Reader will recognize folders on the memory card?

thanx
Well, sort of. The Reader will recognize content from inside folders just as well as from in the root directory of the memory card. However, it won't show up on the reader any differently. ALL of the books show up in the main list of books, whether they're in the root directory or a subdirectory.

Phrodod
phrodod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #14
wrgoodman

Well then

do I just straight copy the word docs to folders I create on the memory card?????thank you thank you thank you
Old 09-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #15
wrgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can create folders on the card with libprs500 as well. It has a mkdir subcommand.
in english please. Can I just copy folders to the memory stick and the Reader will recognize? (because it didn't) . Or do I have to create a main folder with a name the Reader will recognize and then place my folders in that main folder?

please help

thanx