Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #16
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodykihara View Post
are you concerned that they might be further shared without your permission?
I don't really see the point of having a giveaway otherwise. Isn't that the whole point, to get new readers?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #17
jodykihara
Author
jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle reader for PC
Well, my giveaway will be to a certain number of readers, and I don't want each of them to then email the file to another 10 friends, who then email it to another 10..., and so on!
jodykihara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #18
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Quote:
Well, my giveaway will be to a certain number of readers, and I don't want each of them to then email the file to another 10 friends, who then email it to another 10..., and so on!
This makes no sense to me.

If 10 people send it to 10 people and they send it to 10 people each.... you get 1000 people who actually have heard of you. Which greatly increases chances of someone reading the book you sent and liking it, thus buying your other books, or even the giveaway.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #19
jodykihara
Author
jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Well, it makes sense to me... if I wanted to give the book away free to EVERYONE, I'd simply post the files on my website!

Last edited by jodykihara; 03-25-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #20
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
That might work well as a marketing tool if it's the first book in a series.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #21
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Quote:
Well, it makes sense to me... if I wanted to give the book away free to EVERYONE, I'd simply post the files on my website!
Of course it's your decision. Are the books some kind of prize, or are the people friends/regular readers? Or are they just random people?
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #22
RVS78
Letter Puncher
RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
Smashwords is perfect for giveaways. Send a coupon code to the recipients and they can redeem it, up to them what format to download.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #23
jodykihara
Author

AHA! Thanks RVS78! I assume there are instructions up on Smashwords on how to go about the coupon code thing...?

cheers!
Jody K
Old 03-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #24
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
There's a link to the coupon generator in their FAQ (and presumably elsewhere); I can't see anything useful since I have no books published there.

The more complicated part might be getting your book(s) formatted for Smashwords. But if so far it's only available for Kindle, it should be worth it, since limiting your book to only one format is a bit sub-optimal.
Smashword requires .doc format. Here's their style guide: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #25
jodykihara
Author

I uploaded 2 of my books to Smashwords and their 'meatgrinder' converter is VERY frustrating, especially to those of us who've gone to a lot of trouble formatting our epub and mobi files to get them just the way we want... I have no idea why Smashwords won't let us simply upload the e-book files, rather than starting from scratch and re-converting them! Their converter did horrible things to my table of contents... but still worth dealing with it to get the coupon code feature.
Jody

Tags
formating, giveaway