Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2016, 03:05 AM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Disable Glo HD Brightness Gesture?

Please tell me there is a way to do this? My Kobo Glo HD is patched. I keep turning the light off when I set the reader down.

The touch screen is so sensitive. It will be just laying on my pillow and start turning pages due to some bed movement. Sometimes just a tap will cause jumping ahead several pages.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:59 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Please tell me there is a way to do this? My Kobo Glo HD is patched. I keep turning the light off when I set the reader down.

The touch screen is so sensitive. It will be just laying on my pillow and start turning pages due to some bed movement. Sometimes just a tap will cause jumping ahead several pages.
Hmmm.... a sleepcover? Added protection as well. I have to ask it it was face up or face down on your pillow. Given that it uses an infra-red touch screen, it hard to see how bed movement would trigger a touch event unless it was face down on the pillow. Generally, I've found a swipe to be more reliable than a tap when moving between pages.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The touch screen is so sensitive. It will be just laying on my pillow and start turning pages due to some bed movement.
Unless you have a bed sheet or something actually "touching" the screen itself, this is not supposed to happen... it's only supposed to react when you actually touch something. I can hold my reader in one hand and move it any which way even give it a shake without any reaction of the screen.

If that's different for you maybe check for dirt/dust/hairs around the screen edges and if there is nothing, maybe try to replace the device if you only bought it recently...

I'm not sure if there is a patch for the brightness gesture.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:

This happens to me, as well, with my Aura HD. I always blamed it on the IR touch.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:48 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm.... a sleepcover? Added protection as well. I have to ask it it was face up or face down on your pillow. Given that it uses an infra-red touch screen, it hard to see how bed movement would trigger a touch event unless it was face down on the pillow. Generally, I've found a swipe to be more reliable than a tap when moving between pages.
A tap is easier with my tiny hands. No it's not face down and it's in a cover but I keep it open when reading..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Advert
Old 04-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Unless you have a bed sheet or something actually "touching" the screen itself, this is not supposed to happen... it's only supposed to react when you actually touch something. I can hold my reader in one hand and move it any which way even give it a shake without any reaction of the screen.

If that's different for you maybe check for dirt/dust/hairs around the screen edges and if there is nothing, maybe try to replace the device if you only bought it recently...

I'm not sure if there is a patch for the brightness gesture.
Nothing is touching it. I can also shake and move the reader without a issue it's when I set it down my left hand turns off the brightness. The page turning happens only when its laying flat on my pillow and the cat or I move the bed. It's a twin size bed. Hubby and I have gone back to 50s sitcom sleeping arrangements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
This happens to me, as well, with my Aura HD. I always blamed it on the IR touch.

Shari
All my other devices are capacitive touch so IR is new to me. I wonder if air from the air conditioner could cause it? I don't know enough about IR screens.

I'm not too concern though but if I could just disable the brightness gesture. It would eliminate a major annoyance.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Nothing is touching it. I can also shake and move the reader without a issue it's when I set it down my left hand turns off the brightness. The page turning happens only when its laying flat on my pillow and the cat or I move the bed. It's a twin size bed. Hubby and I have gone back to 50s sitcom sleeping arrangements.

All my other devices are capacitive touch so IR is new to me. I wonder if air from the air conditioner could cause it? I don't know enough about IR screens.
Air can't turn the pages. It's nothing to do with pressure on the screen - the so-called 'touch' detection requires that the IR beams just above the screen be interrupted. I suggest what others have suggested: clean the screen thoroughly, and if you still get phantom page turns with it face up and no opaque items anywhere near the screen (including cats and their tails), exchange the device.

It's hard to tell what's happening with the light change when you set the reader down, without knowing exactly how you do that and how your hand is positioned. I am guessing that the cover is open, your thumb is on/near the left bezel, and it inadvertently near-contacts the screen at the left, but you will be better placed to assess that unless you post video or something.

Last edited by meeera; 04-16-2016 at 09:56 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:09 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Air can't turn the pages. It's nothing to do with pressure on the screen - the so-called 'touch' detection requires that the IR beams just above the screen be interrupted. I suggest what others have suggested: clean the screen thoroughly, and if you still get phantom page turns with it face up and no opaque items anywhere near the screen (including cats and their tails), exchange the device.
This. Cat hairs on the pillow that are curling up and over when you set it down maybe (would explain why you only see it on the pillow)?
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:21 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I once had a fly turn the page on my kindle.
But the fly landed on the screen.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:41 PM   #10
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Unless you have a bed sheet or something actually "touching" the screen itself, this is not supposed to happen... it's only supposed to react when you actually touch something.
It's happened with mine on occasion, and I keep my bezels scrupulously clean. I find the IR "zone" can extend a centimetre or a little more vertically from the screen itself, and that zone being disrupted -- whether by a finger or a fold of the bedsheet -- is all it takes for the page to be turned. Or, as Blossom also seems to be experiencing, for the light level to shift.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:49 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I once had a fly turn the page on my kindle.
But the fly landed on the screen.
That actually happened to me last night. The only light in the room was my Kobo and the midge (it was barely visible) kept landing on my screen. I couldn't get rid of it
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #12
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I never had this page turning bug with my old Kobo Wifi only touch e-readers seem to have it. Do capacitive touch e-readers have this bug?
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:11 PM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
I never had this page turning bug with my old Kobo Wifi only touch e-readers seem to have it. Do capacitive touch e-readers have this bug?
Yes--the capacitive touch screen techonology works quite a bit differently than infra-red touch screen technology. With infra-red, the touch screen reacts to a break in the infra-red beams of light, thus any type of object that breaks the beam will trigger the sensors. With capacitive technology, the screen reacts to the transfer of small amounts of electrical capacity when touched. Thus, you can use an IR screen with gloves but not a capacitive screen (unless you have gloves specifically designed for capacitive screens).
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:06 AM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I don't know if this is because of the 4x new firmware or a new code discovery or what... but you can now disable the brightness gesture.

See this post here on how to do that
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=11

I am so happy!!!
Old 03-03-2017, 03:45 AM   #15
__taori__
__taori__ began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd
Great, thank you for the hint!
__taori__ is offline   Reply With Quote