Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #16
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
I hope my DXG won't die on me. I just got it less than a year with a nice woot deal ($200+$5 sh). I am using it 5 days a week reading tech book pdfs, just like everyone here did/observed/predicted/suspected. To me. the retina LCD on the iPad 3 is no match to the eink of the DXG, especially when reading long hours.

Fingers crossed. Maybe I should consider getting a backup DXG if a nice clearance deal comes along.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It is sad if this is true. I posted about on mobileread's kindle forums yesterday. I guess Amazon does not bother confirming such things, as it does not help them sell stuff. The press is really only for advertising right.

I think that Amazon and other manufacturers underestimate the market for a large screen e-reader. I think that a no frills reader with a screen size of approximately 8.5x11 would be a good seller. There are an awful lot of people who want to read electronic versions of paper documents.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #18
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I think that's exactly right. People knew that Apple was making a tablet, but most assumed it was going to cost $1,000 and run a full computer OS; most people were caught flat-footed when it's price was announced at $499.

I think Amazon's response was really amazing - the iPad came out in April; by August, Amazon was shipping the K3, which was about $100 cheaper than the K2, had a pearl screen, and a few other improvements. Amazon's main message was: this does not compete with the iPad: it is focused entirely on reading; it's smaller, lighter, has much better battery power, a better screen, etc. It's just astonishing to me how fast they moved (and all against the backdrop of Agency pricing being introduced and people predicting that Apple would own 90% of the e-book market).

There probably ought to be a business school case study on Amazon's response to the iPad, if there isn't already...

Unfortunately, this didn't leave much room for the DX.
In terms of just the pricing, Amazon was responding more to Barnes and Noble than to Apple. The K2 international was $259. Then when Barnes and Noble released their ereader at $199 Amazon lowered the price of the K2 international to $189. Then when Barnes and Noble released the Nook Wifi only at $149, Amazon released the wifi only version of the Kindle Keyboard at $139 two months later.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm hoping this means no more—"why won't Amazon provide any firmware updates for some of these cool new features for the DX? They still sell the DX after all. It's a 'current' model. I'm reporting them to the Better Business Bureau."—threads in the Kindle forum.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #20
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Sad.. the DX is still my favorite reader. NEED MOAR LARGE SCREEN EREADERS NOW!
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #21
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
As I wrote on the Kindle Forum thread. I love my DX. Picked up a spare during the last sale (clearance?). It really is my favorite ereader for pdf and mobi. All I want is something to read on and it fits the bill.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:11 AM   #22
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I like my DX, too. But it could be so much more than a simple reader if it lost the keyboard, added a touch screen with note-taking function, WiFi, and Android app support. I could use it as a notepad and for displaying documents. I could download the morning paper directly and browse the occasional website.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #23
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
Sad.. the DX is still my favorite reader. NEED MOAR LARGE SCREEN EREADERS NOW!
My Kindle DX has a small black spot on the screen. Nothing really bad but still annoying.

Now I have a JetBook Color. Cannot completely substitute the DX (and is a little bit pricy) but comes close to it.

RIP - Kindle DX ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #24
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Lower the flags to half mast and break out the bugle for a sad rendition of taps.
And for those at the other side of the pond: The Last Post

R.I.P. Kindle DX. It's been a great time

Mine gets used every single day, and I will use it until it dies.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #25
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Well it just may be that we jumped the gun on this one. I wrote to Amazon and they informed me that the DX is out of stock, but they have not stopped manufacturing it, and that it will be back in stock shortly.

So great news for DX fans.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #26
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Not sure if I'd call myself a fan, but I've personally purchased 3 of them, only 1 for me. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #27
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Not sure if I'd call myself a fan, but I've personally purchased 3 of them, only 1 for me. :-)
I'm thinking about buying a back up. It's strange- I know it's nowhere near as popular as a 6 inch reader, but I'd think it would be at least popular enough that amazon would continue putting them out.. I mean, why abandon large size eink entirely? Especially as the price drops...
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote