Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #46
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Reviewer couldn't possibly be more biased. I wouldn't put any stock in this review. Obvious fanboi.
I have an Android device which I love, I hate Apple (and Microsoft for that matter) and from first-contact impression I still have to agree with him on at least this one:

Quote:
Interface

Almost the entire interface is sluggish, jerky, and unresponsive.
It is. At first, it felt like the Coby Kyros, which I also happened to get in contact with. Not quite as bad, but from the lag still felt like cheap resistive touch display.

PDF browsing was stuttering when flipping pages. MP4 is the only video format recognized for play.

Last but not least, Amazon store only available in the US and perhaps a few other countries. Beware then that you may well be just buying a cheap and limited tablet with no Amazon goodness at all. Rooting with full Android possibly the best option, but what if performance suffers from the limited hardware when not even custom Android from Amazon runs all that fine?

Luckily, it was not me the purchaser, but a friend.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #47
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
No just because both have a 1Ghz dual-core processor, it doesn't mean they perform the same. It's a common false assumption that most consumers share, people tend to think a 1.5Ghz processor must be faster than a 1Ghz machine in real use and completely ignore the processor's architecture design as a whole. Kindle Fire uses TI OMAP 4430 processor and iPad 2 uses Apple's new A5 processor.
Precisely. Plus, Android is generally heavier and more power-hungry than iOS, being written in sluggish java while iOS is slim Object C. And inferior touch display can cause a feeling of lag that has nothing to do with the CPU or OS.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #48
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew
Just because both have a 1Ghz dual-core processor, it doesn't mean they perform the same. It's a common false assumption that most consumers share, people tend to think a 1.5Ghz processor must be faster than a 1Ghz machine in real use and completely ignore the processor's architecture design as a whole.

I am aware of this. MB clock speed, external clock speed (FSB), internal clock multiplier for the CPU, 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, 64 bit, cache all play a role. Nobody whould expect a $200 device to have the exact same processor power as a $500 device. The Fire has a similarly powered dual core processor. A pretty remarkable achievement given most $200 and subpar tablets are mostly single core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew
I do not intend to do a thorough comparison between the 2 because they're focused on completely different market and use.

“But wait!” after reading your original post and your replies to my post, the voice-in-my-head interrupts, “You’re doing exactly what you disparage—comparing the two devices!”

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-29-2011 at 03:31 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #49
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
“But wait!” after reading your original post and your replies to my post, the voice-in-my-head interrupts. “You’re doing exactly what you disparage—comparing the two devices!”
It's strange that you're not even reading what you've quoted me yourself...

Quote:
Quote:
My point is that to me at least, even when I try not to compare the Fire to my iPad2, my expectations in terms of the operating speed is conditioned for the iPad2 standard.

Last edited by shinew; 11-29-2011 at 03:35 PM.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #50
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's strange that you're not even reading what you've quoted me yourself...

What's stranger is that even after saying you try not to compare the Fire to your iPad2, you do.

Quote:
It's like downgrading from using a high end computer to a lower end machine is more noticeable than upgrading to a faster one.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-29-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #51
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
What's stranger is that even after saying you try not to compare the Fire to your iPad2, you do.
I see, you just do not get it. that's ok...
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #52
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeddicus View Post
Any review that even mentions any iThing is junk right off unless they're willing to trade me one for a Fire. Didn't think so. Why the heck aren't they comparing it to the Nook offerings and Coby tablets? You know, things that are actually alternatives for sure if you're going to spend $200 and not twice or 3 time that...
You know who else compares the Amazon Fire to the "iThing"?

Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000719771
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #53
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Which makes it completely fair for reviewers to do the same thing, IMO.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #54
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Which makes it completely fair for reviewers to do the same thing, IMO.

Of course it is. To be fair the iPad2 is an incredible device. A marvelous technological achievement.

However, with the release of the first quad core tablet just around the corner (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-new...-them-all/5731 and http://android.pandaapp.com/news/110...348288_2.shtml) Apple will need to step up efforts to release the iPad3. This is a win-win situation for all consumers. In fact, it could actually help reduce the price of the iPad2 even further than the Kindle Fire did. That's the beauty of competition. It benefits consumers.

My biggest complaint with Apple is not their products, that's only part of the equation. My biggest complaint is the way they try and use frivolous lawsuits to stifle competition all in the name of patent protection when it is really about maintaining market superiority and company profit (http://www.pcworld.com/article/24429...tore_name.html and http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/a...75?tag=nl.e550).

But, I Digress ...

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-02-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:49 AM   #55
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbr View Post
http://www.marco.org/2011/11/17/kindle-fire-review

Found this puppy in the facebook group today,.

In short, the kindle fire is suffering from most things that chopped down android devices suffer from, and then some. I was considering having a look at this, but after reading this review in full - I'll stick to my apple, and look around for a decent e-ink device as a follow up.

Read the full story: http://www.marco.org/2011/11/17/kindle-fire-review
The guy's an idiot. The Fire is not a Tablet computer. It's an integrated media consumption device.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #56
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR
I was considering having a look at this, but after reading this review in full - I'll stick to my apple, and look around for a decent e-ink device as a follow up.
So, an Apple fanboy has decided not to get another tablet based on an editorial by another Apple fanboy? In other news, the sun will rise tomorrow.

For the record, the Fire *is*a tablet. I know this because I am using mine for a LOT more than reading eBooks and watching videos. I haven't hit the app space limit, but I have installed some useful applications including...

- an alarm clock
- a calculator
- a notepad
- a contact manager
- a conversion app
- a dictionary
- an office app (full create/edit)
- an email client
- facebook
- flash cards
- a GRE/SAT app
- a calendar
- internet radio
- a list manager
- a math tutorial
- a math reference
- periodic table
- a police scanner
- spanish flashcards
- spanish tutorial
- anatomy tutorial
- sketch book
- a texting utility
- wifi analyzer
- a metronome
- a weather app
- a signing app

and countless games, so, indeed, there *is* an app for that.

I could use another tablet for these things. I chose Amazon's Fire because...

1) It's a great value. It only costs $200 (and I got mine for a lot less than that). Amazon has provided me with beaucoup free apps and content. I can borrow media from Amazon and public libraries. Prime is good. Free shipping plus tv and movies for $80/yr is appealing to me. (Netflix has doubled in price and I may just transition to Amazon next year.) I have a high level of confidence that Amazon will grow their media library.

2) I believe Amazon is in this game to win. Like Microsoft, Amazon is a tenacious competitor. From discount book store to online retailer to media mogul, Bezos is very serious. I don't expect to learn that the Fire has been discontinued or is no longer supported.

3) Jeff Bezos: “There are two kinds of companies, those that work to try to charge more and those that work to charge less. We will be the second.” I believe this and look forward to an enduring relationship with Amazon.

I can't believe how much scrutiny this toy has received. Reminds me of the people who press their faces against a 32" TV screen trying to discern a difference between 720p and 1080p. Take a step back and enjoy the show.

Last edited by wizwor; 12-02-2011 at 11:57 AM.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #57
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Any average Joe/Jane in the market for a tablet looking for some fun will get entertainment from this device. While the amount of money is perhaps still pricey to them, I think they can justify it especially if they have been antsy to pull the trigger on something for awhile.

I don't browse around for sales figures per se but I be very surprised if it isn't selling like hotcakes. I know I saw one article at least that it had surpassed the Ipad in sales at Best Buy (over how long of a timeframe I'm unsure of though, maybe just the BF weekend though neither were on sale).
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #58
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
I know I saw one article at least that it had surpassed the Ipad in sales at Best Buy (over how long of a timeframe I'm unsure of though, maybe just the BF weekend though neither were on sale).

Apple dropped the price of the iPad2 by $41 to $61 for BF, depending on the model. Guess it didn't matter.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-02-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #59
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Of course it is. To be fair the iPad2 is an incredible device. A marvelous technological achievement.

However, with the release of the first quad core tablet just around the corner (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-new...-them-all/5731 and http://android.pandaapp.com/news/110...348288_2.shtml) Apple will need to step up efforts to release the iPad3. This is a win-win situation for all consumers. In fact, it could actually help reduce the price of the iPad2 even further than the Kindle Fire did. That's the beauty of competition. It benefits consumers.

My biggest complaint with Apple is not their products, that's only part of the equation. My biggest complaint is the way they try and use frivolous lawsuits to stifle competition all in the name of patent protection when it is really about maintaining market superiority and company profit (http://www.pcworld.com/article/24429...tore_name.html and http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/a...75?tag=nl.e550).

But, I Digress ...
Yeah. Re: the lawsuits. It's pretty silly & just getting out of hand. I haven't delved that deeply into the specifics. But I think it'll put some animosity in consumers & just avoid the iPad. Then again there are those that won't mind waiting for the Samsung & those that have no clue & would've just bought the iPad anyway. I don't know. Whatever. Lol.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #60
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
So, an Apple fanboy has decided not to get another tablet based on an editorial by another Apple fanboy? In other news, the sun will rise tomorrow.

For the record, the Fire *is*a tablet. I know this because I am using mine for a LOT more than reading eBooks and watching videos. I haven't hit the app space limit, but I have installed some useful applications including...
Sounds like you are calling OP an idiot, and there is no reason to do that. I would think you could make your point without resorting to that
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kindle fire, review