Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-28-2023, 04:21 PM   #1
theprivacydad
theprivacydad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper White
Hello from The Privacy Dad!

Hi, I am The Privacy Dad. I write a blog in my spare time. I have just written a review of Calibre. I hope it is ok to post it here. I would appreciate any feedback or corrections.

https://theprivacydad.com/manage-you...-with-calibre/
theprivacydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 04:49 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Welcome to MobileRead!

Yes, Calibre is an invaluable piece of software. I buy a lot of ebooks from various stores and use Calibre to manage my library basically every day.

(As to the DRM removal... yes, it's still possible to remove the DRM from ebooks, even from Kindle books. In the latter case it's not as simple as it used to be, though. Amazon tries to actively stop DRM removal from their books, so you have to constantly jump through hoops and find workarounds. This site is actually the best place to get information about the latest developments.

It's also possible (and quite simple) to remove the DRM from ebooks bought from Kobo, Google Play and B&N. AFAIK the only store where DRM removal is not currently possible is the Apple bookstore).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 05:03 PM   #3
theprivacydad
theprivacydad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Welcome to MobileRead!

I buy a lot of ebooks from various stores
Thanks! Are there any good ebook stores that sell books without DRM, or is that an unrealistic expectation?
theprivacydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 05:35 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theprivacydad View Post
Thanks! Are there any good ebook stores that sell books without DRM, or is that an unrealistic expectation?
If you're a SF/Fantasy fan, there are Baen and Angry Robot - both are well-known publishers who sell their books DRM-free on their website in several formats. Then there is Smashwords, which sells mostly self-published books in multiple genres, also DRM-free. There are some DRM-free ebooks in both the Kobo and Google bookstore (as it is the author or the publisher who decides if their books have DRM, not the store), but there is no way to search for specifically DRM-free in either, that I know of.

Last edited by Sirtel; 09-28-2023 at 05:42 PM. Reason: typo
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, privacy, review