Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
ddoyle777
ddoyle777 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
?n about special offers on PW Kindle

If I unsubscribe from the special offers on my PW Kindle will it also remove the row of recommendations on my home page? Yesterday it was "Editor's Choice" and today it's "Kindle Singles"
Thanks.
ddoyle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Cooling1978
Cooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
No, those operate independently from the Special Offers. (Amazon takes every opportunity to push it's content.) Unsubscribing will only remove the ads from the lock screen and the small ad at the bottom of the menu screen.
Cooling1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If enough people turn out to not like the recommendations and complain maybe they'll let them be disabled in a firmware update like they're doing for the Kindle Fire's.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I recall reading someone's posted response from Amazon (either here on MR or another forum) regarding this and it stated that a future update would allow enabling or disabling "recommended for you," etc. via menu/display options. Sure wish I had bookmarked a link now.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Here's the announcement from Amazon:

Quote:
We wanted to let you know that in the coming weeks, free software updates will be coming to Kindle Fire HD and the latest generation Kindle Fire. These software updates will include Kindle FreeTime, a tablet experience just for kids allowing parents to set daily screen time limits, and give access to appropriate content for each child. We're also adding a setting to let customers control whether or not personalized recommendations appear below the carousel on the device homepage. In addition, customers will be able to set their device default language to one of six languages, including English (US), English (UK), German, French, Italian, and Spanish. These updates will be delivered automatically to your Kindle Fire.

Thanks,
The Kindle Team
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x1GXPVHM7EPB0K
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Here's the announcement from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x1GXPVHM7EPB0K
Yes, that's for the Fire's. Hopefully there will be something similar for the Paperwhite's.

The recommendations aren't really personalized on the PW, just various generic lists that refresh when you access the home screen.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Someone started another thread on Amazon's Kindle forum about keeping "recommendations" optional on the Paperwhite.

Ads are ads, whether they're called "Recommendations" or "Special Offers". If Amazon wants to charge me even more than they did for the NSO KPW, then so be it; I just want my device to be a no-soliciting zone.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoyle777 View Post
If I unsubscribe from the special offers on my PW Kindle will it also remove the row of recommendations on my home page? Yesterday it was "Editor's Choice" and today it's "Kindle Singles"
Thanks.
These only appear in "Cover" view. If you change to "List" view you won't see them.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If enough people turn out to not like the recommendations and complain maybe they'll let them be disabled in a firmware update like they're doing for the Kindle Fire's.
That would be nice. I don't so much mind the Special Offers, sometimes, but I could really do without the recommendations (even though they're basically the same thing).
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
That would be nice. I don't so much mind the Special Offers, sometimes, but I could really do without the recommendations (even though they're basically the same thing).
Make sure to send feedback so they will remove the bottom row. I will be using list view. I've never been bother with Special Offers banner but that is too space on my screen for stuff I will never buy.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
As stated above, removing the special offers will not do what you ask. However, I found out what will remove the row of recommendations!

If you enable parental controls and disable access to the store, it will disappear. Just re-enable the store when you want to buy something. The rest of the time, your home screen is free and clear.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
As stated above, removing the special offers will not do what you ask. However, I found out what will remove the row of recommendations!

If you enable parental controls and disable access to the store, it will disappear. Just re-enable the store when you want to buy something. The rest of the time, your home screen is free and clear.
Clever
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post

I never ever use the store. So this is a great idea! If i buy something it's through my PC.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
A workaround mentioned on the Kindle forum thread I linked to earlier:
Quote:
I eliminated the recommended books in cover mode. I just set the parental mode to "store off" and the recommended titles will not be displayed. If you want to visit the store, you enter a password which you set when turning the shop off.
EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the last couple of posts in this thread!
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I never ever use the store. So this is a great idea! If i buy something it's through my PC.
Same here! I will definitely be using this trick when mine arrives! (Scheduled delivery date for my Kindle PW is 10/6!)
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote