Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #451
maniux
maniux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
1. No, it might even last longer. Though i accept it is very hard to judge the battery life on e-ink devices in different circumstances as they last a long time.
2. Yes.
3. No.
Thanks for the reply.

About the second question, how much longer does it cost? About double the time?

I've seen from someone's blogs that it takes as much as ten times to wake up...

Do you experience any other weak points after the upgrade?
maniux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #452
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
well it depends. If it hasn't been asleep for a long time, waking time is the same as the 2.5.8, but if it has been some time it takes about 5 to 10 seconds. i don't know the threshold time.

You can disable the screensaver, change the timeout time or just push the slider for a few more seconds for standby (the screen goes totally blank). If your device is in standby, waking time is the same.

Personally it doesn't disturb me much. If it disturbs you, you can always go back to 2.5.8

Active content normally doesn't work but with a hack it is possible to have it. I use it. Be sure to backup all your active content before upgrading and copy them to your kindle afterwards.

TTS is glitchy. It sometimes crackles. I don't use it.

MP3 play crackles too as i heard from other people. I haven't played a single mp3 file on 2.5.8 or 3.2.1.

I think i covered all the weak points. They are minor for me compared to the advantages of 3.x firmwares. Well it all depends on personal preferences i guess.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #453
maniux
maniux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
well it depends. If it hasn't been asleep for a long time, waking time is the same as the 2.5.8, but if it has been some time it takes about 5 to 10 seconds. i don't know the threshold time.

You can disable the screensaver, change the timeout time or just push the slider for a few more seconds for standby (the screen goes totally blank). If your device is in standby, waking time is the same.

Personally it doesn't disturb me much. If it disturbs you, you can always go back to 2.5.8

Active content normally doesn't work but with a hack it is possible to have it. I use it. Be sure to backup all your active content before upgrading and copy them to your kindle afterwards.

TTS is glitchy. It sometimes crackles. I don't use it.

MP3 play crackles too as i heard from other people. I haven't played a single mp3 file on 2.5.8 or 3.2.1.

I think i covered all the weak points. They are minor for me compared to the advantages of 3.x firmwares. Well it all depends on personal preferences i guess.
Wow, it's so detailed. Really thanks.
The last question, where is the hack for active content?
maniux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #454
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Go to the page 24 of this thread and read the relevant posts. If you don't have usb network, i posted a launchpad file there.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #455
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
Has anyone managed to put 3.3 on it? 3.2.1 seems fine for the most part..but if I could sync documents that could be a bit more of a plus
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #456
reprep
Addict

I now have firmware 3.3 on my kindle DXG but as i read only on my kindle i haven't tested syncing. Also you can't see your personal documents in the archive folder (you can see them on kindle keyboard).
Old 01-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #457
jaxsnop
Enthusiast
jaxsnop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:

Then my apps and games could not play?
All of them or some in particular?
jaxsnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #458
reprep
Addict

your apps and games will not be useable if you don't apply the patches described in page 24 of this thread. Active content bug is mentioned in the first post of this thread which you should normally read.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #459
gk05
gk05 began at the beginning.

Installing duokan

Hello !
I have kindle DXG running 3.2.1 (Yifan Lu's work). Now I want to install duokan or duokan lite on my DXG.
Kindly help me.
I have Duokan_0_5_13_8942__2011_05_20_english files.
Also for lite version Lite2011-12-08.C3283.rtm files.
Kindly suggest me what to do ? I have checked it using launchpad. Any help is appreciated.
gk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #460
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
gk05
I have no problem running Duokan using launchpad.
For description, refer to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=duokan+lite

As to the official Duokan Lite, the KDX is not supported.

P.S.: I have firmare version 3.2.1 installed as well.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #461
deagol
deagol began at the beginning.

Hello,

First thank you for this nice hack!

Unfortunatelly I had already updated my new kindle k3g to the latest version (3.3) and the "update_k3g-3.1-create_updater.bin" got silently deleted on the Kindle as I tried that.

With a look in the sources it became obvious, that the "update package" had a max version well below the version my Kindle 3 was running on.

Even without any background in kindle hacking it was simple to rise the max version, so I gave it a shot...
And it worked.

Here a short descriptoin of what I have done:
1) download the src for kindleupdater
2) edit packages.lst and replace the last number for your host with 611680021 (create_updater k3g-3.1 10 558700031 611680021)
2) generate the packages

There are some (empty) directories which should also be renamed, but I've not done that and it was working without just fine.

(You should also be able to rename the package name to "create_updater k3g-3.3", but since the old filename is in a whitelist for the jailbreak I decided to keep the wrong name for my quick test.)

As far as I can tell my Kindle DX has no issues with the new version.

But since I've cannot make use of the Whispernet with my US Kindle in Europe I have not tested any active feature.

The only unexpected issue was to get the registration done again without being able to connect to amazon. (I finally used the reginfo file from my k3g kindle.)

The other surprise was a drained battery in just a few hours standby, but I assume that's the index process recreating the database.

In the log were some error messages about kernel module paths which could not be deleted. Not sure if that's normal and maybe I have some useless files now in the rootfs.. I've attached the log for those who want to have a look.
Attached Files
File Type: txt make-package.log.txt (482.3 KB, 360 views)
deagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #462
whoever
Enthusiast
whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Windows XP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk05 View Post
Hello !
I have kindle DXG running 3.2.1 (Yifan Lu's work). Now I want to install duokan or duokan lite on my DXG.
Kindly help me.
I have Duokan_0_5_13_8942__2011_05_20_english files.
Also for lite version Lite2011-12-08.C3283.rtm files.
Kindly suggest me what to do ? I have checked it using launchpad. Any help is appreciated.
You can't use lite on DXG, only 520.

No need for launchpad, just create a file emergency.sh, copy to kindle root and reboot.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo "Install DuoKan"
mntroot rw
rm -f /etc/rcS.d/S79switch 
rm -f /etc/rc5.d/s96rundk
rm -f /etc/rc5.d/S96rundk
rm -f /etc/rc5.d/rundk.sh
rm -f /mnt/us/DK_System/bin/S79switch
rm -f /mnt/us/DK_System/bin/s96rundk

cp /mnt/us/DK_System/install/S79switch /etc/rcS.d/S79switch
cp /mnt/us/DK_System/install/s96rundk /etc/rc5.d/s96rundk
cp /mnt/us/DK_System/install/rundk.sh /etc/rc5.d/rundk.sh
cp /mnt/us/DK_System/install/S95dkupdate /etc/rc5.d/S95dkupdate

chmod +x /etc/rcS.d/S79switch
chmod +x /etc/rc5.d/s96rundk
chmod +x /etc/rc5.d/rundk.sh
chmod +x /etc/rc5.d/S95dkupdate

#delete emergency.sh
rm -f /mnt/us/emergency.sh

exit 0
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #463
TenaciousB
TenaciousB began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Is anyone having issues with highlighting PDFs on a DXG after updating to 3.2.1? I'm trying to highlight a PDF (which I think has OCR'd text), and the highlighting appears to work correctly until after I click, the highlight then appears a line or two off (but not always). It's really annoying; it ruins one of the main reasons I got the DXG in the first place.
TenaciousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #464
james2c19v
james2c19v began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Angry Page numbers on my Kindle DX

Quote:
Normaly on 2.5.8 on kindle DXG you see the percentage and location at the bottom line.

But on 3.1 on kindle 3 you just see the percentage at the bottom line. You have to press the Menu button to see the location (always) and the page number (where available)

But on 3.2.1 on kindle DXG you again just see the percentage at the bottom line. And when you press the Menu button you always see only the location whether the book has the page numbers or not. I guess the same problem on Active Content cause this problem too. My guess is there is some kind of extra verification for the kindle model and this fails with the DXG on both active content and page numbers. Of course that is just a wild guess.
I'm running software version 3.1 (558700031) on my DXG, and I don't get any page numbers on books that I know to have page numbers (I've verified this through Kindle for PC and my wife's K3). I even tried de-registering my DXG, re-registering, deleting the book in question and re-downloading it. Still, only location numbers, no page numbers. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
james2c19v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #465
james2c19v
james2c19v began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousB View Post
Is anyone having issues with highlighting PDFs on a DXG after updating to 3.2.1? I'm trying to highlight a PDF (which I think has OCR'd text), and the highlighting appears to work correctly until after I click, the highlight then appears a line or two off (but not always). It's really annoying; it ruins one of the main reasons I got the DXG in the first place.
I have that problem even with a DXG running 3.1. It's weird though... most of the time I can get it to highlight the chunk I want, but sometimes the highlight gets placed a few lines off. It seems to depend on the formatting of the page.

Last edited by james2c19v; 01-13-2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added quote
james2c19v is offline   Reply With Quote