Notices

Old 10-29-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
RTF formatting questions

A couple questions:

(1) I realize that the Reader cannot display images in RTF, but it seems to just ignore them. Is there any reason, other than increased file size, not to leave images in the document, in the hopes that Sony will eventually support images in RTF?

(2) Is there any way in Word to remove all character level formatting *except* italics? I've been using Ctrl-Space to remove all character level formatting, but I'd prefer to preserve italics.

(3) Does RTF support page headers and footers for book title and page number that will display on the reader?

Thanks,
Ken
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
1. They are gi-noromous. I just tried converting a 172k Word document that had one included photo (a probably 150k JPG) to RTF. The resulting file was 17 MB! This was using Word 97, so perhaps it's just being silly about how it does the conversion. It's worth checking into for whatever method you're using, though. Storage cost aside, I can't believe it wouldn't significantly slow access on the Reader.

2. You might try doing this:
- Search for italics (using the advanced search/replace menu) and "replace all" italics with a type face not in the doucment (e.g. Vendi).
- Set all character formatting to "regular". This won't will change type faces, so the parts that were in italics are still identifiable.
- Search for the type face you substituted for italics and replace it with italics and the correct type face for your document (e.g. Arial).

Worked for me, but I wasn't sure about how you did the CTRL-SPACE trick. I just did step two by selecting all the text, then pulling up the format/font menu and selecting "Regular" font style, leaving the other boxes blank. Should be pretty easy to make a macro of this, if you need it often.

3. You can have headers and footers in RTF, but CONNECT seems to ignore them
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur

Thanks, Bob. I'll try that. My usual procedure is:

Ctrl-A (select all)
Ctrl-Space (remove all character formatting)
Ctrl-Q (remove all paragraph formatting)
Ctrl-Shift-N (make everything Normal style)

Then I format the Normal style according to my preferences. The only thing I don't like about this procedure is that I lose the italics in the original.

Ken
Old 10-29-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbaldwin
A couple questions:

(2) Is there any way in Word to remove all character level formatting *except* italics? I've been using Ctrl-Space to remove all character level formatting, but I'd prefer to preserve italics.

Thanks,
Ken
Instead of doing Ctrl-A Do a "Find" and make sure you select "Highlight all items found in:". Now go to "Format" > "Font" > and select in the box "Font style" "Not Italic". Perform your search on that and everything except italic will be selected. Now follow the rest of your procedure.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur

Thanks. Wouldn't that fail in instances where text has italics plus some other character formatting? For example, text that is bold italic would remain bold italic, instead of becoming just italic.
Advert
Old 10-29-2006, 04:46 PM   #6
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbaldwin
Thanks. Wouldn't that fail in instances where text has italics plus some other character formatting? For example, text that is bold italic would remain bold italic, instead of becoming just italic.
Nope, no problem. As long it has italic in the typeface it will not be selected. After the rest of the procedure you can do a search for "italic" where all italic's including bolds will be selected. Now you can make them all the same italic if you would like.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur

Cool, thanks
Old 10-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
royalkay
royalkay began at the beginning.

Just a question. Is there a way to perform jumps in RTF? I know that BBeB will allow it, because some of the books I downloaded have indexes in them.
royalkay is offline   Reply With Quote