Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Your favourite 'classical' authors?

I am wondering, for those who read classics e.g. Gutnberg freebies, who are your favourite authors, the ones you have read widely of their work and feel that they remain accessible to modern readers? Of the many classical authors I have read, in e and otherwise, here are my favourites:

- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes, have not read his others yet)
- Bronte sisters (I have read all of their novels)
- John Wyndham (via PG Australia, I love his novels)
- George Orwell (again, via PG Australia)
- Lucy Maud Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables, have not read her others yet)
- Edith Nesbit (Five Children and it, others)
- Lewis Carroll (Alice books, but his poems are worth reading too)
- L. Frank Baum (my goal is to read the complete Wizard of Oz series)
- Oscar Wilde (mostly plays, that may not be everyone's thing, but he's good)
- Mark Twain (not the Sawyer books, but his other novels)
- Edgar Allen Poe (short stories)

Authors I have not explored much, but would like to:

- Jules Verne (classic sci-fi)
- H.G. Wells (classic sci-fi)
- Jane Austen (not sure this will be my thing...)
- Alexandre Dumas
- H. Rider Haggard (only read 1 so far...)
- Ernest Bramah (mysteries)
- John Buchan (mysteries)
- Anna Katharine Green (mysteries)
- Edgar Jepson (Arsene Lupin series)
- Baroness Orczy (Scarlet Pimpernell series)
- Mary Roberts Rinehart (mystery/suspense)
- Sax Rohmer (Fu Manchu series)
- H. Beam Piper (sci-fi)

So who are your recommendations for 'classical' or public domain authors?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Hrmm, from the limited amount I've read:
-Jules Verne
-Jane Austen
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (loved the Lost World)
-HG Wells
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
Hmmm let's me think. How about my favorite author is always whatever I currently reading. But at the top of list is,

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Louisa May Alcott
H.G. Wells

For current writers Stephen King

For modern authors no longer with us
Irving Stone
Issac Asimov
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
In no order:

Charles Dickens
Jane Austen
HG Wells
Jules Verne
Mark Twain
H Rider Haggard
E W Hornung (although only read his Raffles stories)
Oscar Wilde
Edgar Allan Poe
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Jane Austen and P. G. Wodehouse.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
In no order:

Charles Dickens
I've read very few classics... hard to have a favorite then.

I have never read Dickens... but knowing that he is Harry's favorite and seeming to have similar tastes to his, I have adding him to my list of 'to read' authors. What would be a best first book to start with.

That said, authors I have read and enjoyed:

Conan Doyle, Mark Twain, Stevenson, Asimov, Douglas Adams (he he)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

I have never read Dickens... but knowing that he is Harry's favorite and seeming to have similar tastes to his, I have adding him to my list of 'to read' authors. What would be a best first book to start with.

That said, authors I have read and enjoyed:

Conan Doyle, Mark Twain, Stevenson, Asimov, Douglas Adams (he he)

BOb
I tried so so so so hard to read "A Tale of Two Cities," but I seriously could not do it. But "A Christmas Carol" had me laughing out loud. Haven't read any others though.

And Adams totally counts!
Old 12-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I'll mention Elizabeth Gaskell because I think she's underrated and overlooked.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Agatha Christie

Sir Author Conan Doyle

Orwell

H.G. Wells.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:28 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

I would suggest "Oliver Twist". It's an absolutely wonderful story.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Hesse
Joyce
Mann
Kafka
Dostoevsky
Orwell
Maugham

When I look for modern authors to read, I look for ones who start from here and move on. Like Bellow or Rushdie, for example. But I don't think that what I like to read is typical of most readers. So don't take these as recommendations. I think a lot of people would rather pluck their eyeballs out than read most of these authors.

Last edited by vivaldirules; 12-25-2008 at 08:15 AM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #12
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Alexandre Dumas, pere
Rafael Sabatini (for Scaramouche and The Sea Hawk)
Charles Dickens
Arthur Conan Doyle (for The White Company and Nigel's Band)
Sir Walter Scott (for Ivanhoe, Quentin Durward and The Talisman)
S.R. Crockett (The Black Douglas)
J.S.C. Abbott (Daniel Boone: Pioneer of Kentucky)
Henryk Sienkiewicz (for Quo Vadis)
W. Clark Russell
Charles Darwin (for The Voyage of the Beagle)
Wilkie Collins (The Moonstone)
Edith Wharton (The Age of Innocence, Ethan Frome,
G.A. Henty (Lion of the North: A Tale of the Times of Gustavus Adolphus)
Lewis Wallace (Ben Hur)
Mark Twain - lots of stuff that's not Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn though I liked them as a kid.
P.G. Wodehouse (humor, lots)
Edgar Wallace (mysteries, lots)
G.K. Chesterton
Rudyard Kipling (Captains Courageous)
Frederick Marryat (sea stories mostly)

Last edited by wayspooled; 12-25-2008 at 02:33 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would suggest "Oliver Twist". It's an absolutely wonderful story.
Thanks... I'll add it to my ever increasing list. That's the problem with this place... you all make me want to read these books you gush over. I'm gonna have to start writing down my "to read" ideas because I can't keep them all in my head.

I'm still reading through the Sherlock Holmes Omnibus... and enjoying it much. Now I "get" some of the Sherlock Holmes episodes that were on Star Trek:The Next Generation. However, I have yet to read a Dr. Moriarty story yet.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks... I'll add it to my ever increasing list. That's the problem with this place... you all make me want to read these books you gush over. I'm gonna have to start writing down my "to read" ideas because I can't keep them all in my head.
How about it? I'm dying here.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm still reading through the Sherlock Holmes Omnibus... and enjoying it much. Now I "get" some of the Sherlock Holmes episodes that were on Star Trek:The Next Generation. However, I have yet to read a Dr. Moriarty story yet.

BOb
Professor Moriarty, please!

The best way to become acquainted with the good Professor is via the short story "The Final Problem" in "The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote