Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Read On
Read On can illuminate an eclipseRead On can illuminate an eclipseRead On can illuminate an eclipseRead On can illuminate an eclipseRead On can illuminate an eclipseRead On can illuminate an eclipseRead On can illuminate an eclipseRead On can illuminate an eclipseRead On can illuminate an eclipseRead On can illuminate an eclipseRead On can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo N905C
Second Kobo firmware freeze

Frustrated with my Kobo Touch model N905C which was working fine until I was charging it and it updated from Kobo desktop version 3.2.3. Unit froze on Updating screen and tried the following instructions from Kobo support with no success.

Kobo sent me a rebuilt unit that I charged and synced to my desktop. Safety ejected unit and then it froze on Restarting screen. Same steps as above made no change. I can see green and blue lights flashing but no change. Plug unit to desktop, but reader is not visible.

Is this a firmware problem that might somehow be caused by the Kobo desktop version I am using?
Am I stuck opening the unit and putting firmware files I see in other threads directly on the SD card?
Will everything on card need to be overwritten?

Here is everything I tried so far:
1. Slide and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds to power off the device
2. Next, while holding the home button, please flick the power button a few times until you see a blue light
4. Once you see the blue light flickering please let go and the device should reboot its self and start up
5. The device should reboot its self and start up
6. If instead of a blue light you see a red light, please repeat the troubleshooting steps again

1. While pressing and holding the Home button, turn your eReader over and locate the small hole on the back.
2. Slide one end of the paperclip into the hole.
3. Press gently until you feel a click. You should see a flashing light next to the power button.
4. Remove the paperclip
5. Let go of the Home button when the message "Restoring" is visible on the screen. (this could take 30 seconds)

If the instructions above don't work, try this:

1. Slide and hold the power button
2. While holding the power button, press down and hold the home button
3. Hold both buttons for 10 seconds
4. If nothing happens perform the same process again for another 10 seconds
5. The device should reboot its self and start up
Read On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I don't think it is just you or your touch or the desktop version.
I may be severely pummeled for saying so but them there Kobos are just a smidgeon unreliable.

I prefer to sideload and I always back up first. No big hardship once you have done it once. I understand your wish to do it the official Kobo way, and your frustration when once again it has let you down. Me, I refuse to let my frustration get in the way and so far have refrained from kicking the cat.

Helen.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert