Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #181
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Sorry posted twice.

Last edited by Josieb1; 12-13-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #182
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Josieb, why read PDFs in apps that aren't really intended for handling them? I assure you that if you insist on finding a single, universal app to handle all those different formats, you're only punishing yourself. You will get a diminished reading experience from all formats, instead of the best possible reading experience for every format.

For MOBI files, just convert them to EPUB using (for example) Calibre, which only takes a few seconds, and then read them in Marvin along with original EPUB files. I assure you that the Marvin reading experience is worth the few seconds needed to convert from MOBI to EPUB!

For PDFs, the world agrees that GoodReader is the finest app to serve all your PDF needs, and it would be senseless for Kris to want to compete with it. I can also heartily recommend the neu.Annotate app to you for reading, and especially marking up PDF files.
Thank you, I read mobi's on a Kindle Paperwhite, I tend to convert ePubs to mobi's so they aren't an issue, it is PDFs that are my problem, I used to read them on a Sony ereader but I want to get an iPad mini next year (once the retina screen one comes out) so looking for a PDF app with collections and reflow. Its hard as I can't seem to find one. I'll take a look at Annotate.

I read fan fiction and have 100s of PDFs, conversion in Calibre is not very good unfortunatly.
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #183
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Don't miss out on GoodReader, although it's a paid app, but not too expensive. It's been the general consensus that GoodReader is likely the no. 1 app for PDFs in iOS.

I agree that converting PDFs to EPUB often produces horrible results and isn't worth it. I only advocate converting between MOBI and EPUB, because those two formats are somewhat related.

As to fan fiction writers, it's their mistake to be publishing their creations in the PDF format at all. At any rate, they shouldn't be publishing them exclusively in PDFs -- these are no longer the 1990s or even 2000s. PDFs are best suited for printing, not reading, and definitely not reading on small-screen mobile devices.

Last edited by Faterson; 12-13-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #184
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Don't miss out on GoodReader, although it's a paid app, but not too expensive. It's been the general consensus that GoodReader is likely the no. 1 app for PDFs in iOS.

I agree that converting PDFs to EPUB often produces horrible results and isn't worth it. I only advocate converting between MOBI and EPUB, because those two formats are somewhat related.

As to fan fiction writers, it's their mistake to be publishing their creations in the PDF format at all. At any rate, they shouldn't be publishing them exclusively in PDFs -- these are no longer the 1990s or even 2000s. PDFs are best suited for printing, not reading, and definitely not reading on small-screen mobile devices.
Thanks, I have picked up Goodreader, its a toss up between that an PDF Expert I think.

I agree about PDFs but for most fan fiction writers its the only format they understand.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #185
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gotta spread education.
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #186
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Gotta spread education.
I try......sighs.......its the historical stuff that's the problem, so much of it isn't on the net anymore so the PDF is all there is.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #187
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Yes... My best results with fan fiction authors have been: none of them create their stories in PDF software, naturally. So, get the writer's original rich-text file, if possible (typically a Word document); open in Word; re-save in filtered (minimalistic) HTML; feed into Calibre; convert into EPUB, and out comes a file that can be enjoyed in Marvin without any of the hindrances of the unwieldy PDF format.

All the Marvin screenshots I've posted to this thread so far are fan-fiction originally published by the writers in non-ebook formats. I think the stories look beautiful when converted to EPUB by the above method and displayed in Marvin.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #188
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Josieb, I agree with Faterson that you can't go wrong with Goodreader for PDFs. I haven't tried it myself, but eBookMobi seems to be able to open ePub, mobi and PDF. At 1.99 it may be worth the shot.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #189
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
Jodie's I second all that (or third it?) re Marvin, calibre (I have all files in mobi and ePub format as legacy from my Ipad Kindle app days), and Goodreader - which is excellent for PDFs. Goodreader is also good for file management for all those legacy historic PDFs from the90s!!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #190
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
Hmm sorry Josieb1 my spellchecker let me down there....
Old 12-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #191
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for the advice everyone. What I really need to do with the PDFs is convert them to RTF in Calibre, then manually edit, and convert to either ePub or mobi, its just I don't have the time..........

Right now they are on hold until I get an iPad mini, with a retina screen (I have an iPhone 5 so no way could I live with the current mini screen).
Old 12-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #192
jswinden
Nameless Being

Kris, any idea when or if you might have an iPhone version available?

Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #193
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Hi Jack,

The situation about the iPhone version is this. First, I'd like to stabilise the iPad version and make it as feature complete as possible. This means adding 2-column reading and Calibre support at least. I expect these to be out of the way by early January.

After that, I'll start working on the iPhone version. Whilst there is a lot of reusable stuff, Marvin has a completely custom UI so it isn't that straight forward. To answer your question, it will be some time in February or early March. I hope my answer isn't too disappointing.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #194
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. What I really need to do with the PDFs is convert them to RTF in Calibre, then manually edit, and convert to either ePub or mobi, its just I don't have the time..........

Right now they are on hold until I get an iPad mini, with a retina screen (I have an iPhone 5 so no way could I live with the current mini screen).
You may find this hard to believe, but I found from personal experience, that for text PDF files, Mobipocket creator is the best PDF to other format converter I have seen.

Much superior to Calibre.

Try it, and you can then convert the MOBI files to ePub if you wish.

Nothing to be done for image PDF files....

You can find it here:

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...sp?Language=EN

Cheers

Art
Old 12-14-2012, 02:03 AM   #195
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
You can hide them by tapping in the middle of the page.

In fact, in the version coming this week, there is an option to hide the headers too if you want.
DOH , thanks for the response, I look forward to the new version.
Closed Thread