Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
jekoby
jekoby began at the beginning.

Device: none
Copy Library - I'm doing something wrong

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction - cause I'm stumped. I've tried some searches in the forum and from what I've found, it SEEMS like what I'm doing should work, but obviously something is missing. So, here's the situation:

I created a new library called "Sams Library" by copying books from my main library to the new one from within Calibre (right clicked and did copy to...library).

I copied the resulting folder to a memory stick.

If I open the "Sams Library" on my desktop, it opens fine and everything is there - series, new titles (with numbers for series) covers and the description of the book - where it tells you what the book is about (metadata?). It's all just like it was in the old library. This is true whether I open it from the my hard drive or from the memory stick.

If I take the memory stick to my laptop, and point Calibre to the memory stick and open the file - everything is there EXCEPT the description of the book - I guess that is the metadata? I have covers, new titles, genre, IDs, everything is the same except for the metadata for each book.

Since it's there when I open from the memory stick on the desktop, I'm thinking maybe it's something I'm doing wrong in Calibre on my laptop - but I can't figure it out.

I have a metadata file on the memory stick that says it is 26.6mb. Each individual book folder has a cover and the mobi file but nothing else. It seems like most of my book folders in my regular calibre file have a "metadata.opf" file in them. Is that what is missing? If it is - how to I get it?

I'm running Windows 7 on my desktop and XP on my laptop and both are running the same version of Calibre - 8.32.

I know just enough to be dangerous about files and computers and Calibre, so keep that in mind. I'm sure this is something simple, but it's not connecting for me.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Kim
jekoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoby View Post
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction - cause I'm stumped. I've tried some searches in the forum and from what I've found, it SEEMS like what I'm doing should work, but obviously something is missing. So, here's the situation:

I created a new library called "Sams Library" by copying books from my main library to the new one from within Calibre (right clicked and did copy to...library).

I copied the resulting folder to a memory stick.

If I open the "Sams Library" on my desktop, it opens fine and everything is there - series, new titles (with numbers for series) covers and the description of the book - where it tells you what the book is about (metadata?). It's all just like it was in the old library. This is true whether I open it from the my hard drive or from the memory stick.

If I take the memory stick to my laptop, and point Calibre to the memory stick and open the file - everything is there EXCEPT the description of the book - I guess that is the metadata? I have covers, new titles, genre, IDs, everything is the same except for the metadata for each book.

Since it's there when I open from the memory stick on the desktop, I'm thinking maybe it's something I'm doing wrong in Calibre on my laptop - but I can't figure it out.

I have a metadata file on the memory stick that says it is 26.6mb. Each individual book folder has a cover and the mobi file but nothing else. It seems like most of my book folders in my regular calibre file have a "metadata.opf" file in them. Is that what is missing? If it is - how to I get it?

I'm running Windows 7 on my desktop and XP on my laptop and both are running the same version of Calibre - 8.32.

I know just enough to be dangerous about files and computers and Calibre, so keep that in mind. I'm sure this is something simple, but it's not connecting for me.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Kim
metadata.opf is just a backup
The Metadata is Everything on the screen, not just the description.

It may be a configuration issue.
Preferences: Look and Feel: Book details. Tick those items you want to see in the book details pane (different than columns shown in the main window)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
jekoby
jekoby began at the beginning.

Device: none
OMGosh! I knew it was probably something simple, but seriously, this is beyond simple. I had taken the check mark off of "comments" at some point - and that's what was wrong.

I have literally been fighting with this all afternoon before I gave up and posted - so thank you so, so much for your quick response and patience!

I really appreciate it - and I always know, that when I just can't figure it out, I can come here and someone ALWAYS takes the time to help. It's a great community.

Thanks for your help!

Till next time
jekoby is offline   Reply With Quote